Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30

Author Topic: Sexism Thread #23  (Read 19502 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Sexism Thread #23
« Reply #405 on: August 12, 2013, 07:02:16 pm »

o.O

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 12, 2013, 07:02:52 pm »

I saw that edit.  :P

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 12, 2013, 07:13:21 pm »

the public perception of domestic abuse in every country i can list off the top of my head is man on woman only, same with some other crimes which i will refrain from mentioning with a 1524 centimeter graph paper tube

as shameful as a display it is, when you point it out you are ridiculed because women's issues are more widespread and hereby need more effort to be fought for,  what are you some misogynist men's rights activist go back to stormfront uhh... i have no idea what would be the equivalent here. sorry. not denying the part where they are more widespread because that's true but goddamn it doesn't mean a you can completely ignore the other side of the coin to the point of saying "hey, here's a domestic abuse line for men, call if you think you're being abusive brah we can help you" that line is going to get as much use as suborbital transpacific commercial aircraft does

wait a second hasn't this been discussed over the course of the entire thread? i may need to reread it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 12, 2013, 07:22:42 pm »

Well yea, one does get tired of the recurring theme of 'Cry me a river! Patriarchy means women are never privileged! MRAs are sexist bigots!' in the public, but this is a government agency. Cultural unacceptable of the severity of an issue is one thing, but institutional dismissal like this is a new ball game.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 12, 2013, 07:50:30 pm »

I could have sworn this thread got locked. Hm. Wait, no, that was the atheism one.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 12, 2013, 08:22:00 pm »

Cultural unacceptable of the severity of an issue is one thing, but institutional dismissal like this is a new ball game.

Maybe for you.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 13, 2013, 12:01:06 am »

Don't get me started on the inequality in the representations of crimes like rape or domestic abuse favouring women... Oh wait that's right I'm meant to be staying out of this thread.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 13, 2013, 12:45:55 am »

Maybe for you.
Oh I didn't realize that your government provides services to one gender and not another. I'm very sorry to hear that. Why don't you educate me on this topic so that next time somebody claims sexism is only a cultural thing and not legislative I can better spread awareness.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 13, 2013, 12:48:54 am »

I'm saying that you seem to be pretty new to institutional sexism.  It's not a fucking new ballgame, you silly person, this is thousands-of-years-old hat.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 13, 2013, 12:50:51 am »

One that is apparently still discriminating against men. Oh male privilege, I can't wait to see the day.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 13, 2013, 01:50:16 am »

And also against women, is I think the point. It seems you've suddenly shifted viewpoints from it being new to it being ancient, too. Show some consistency, dude.

The website is awful, and I don't think Vector is disputing that*

Cultural unacceptable of the severity of an issue is one thing, but institutional dismissal like this is a new ball game.

But you see that quote up there? It reads to me like you claiming that men haven't been subject to that sort of thing for ages. Like it's new in some way, like an unfamiliar sport of some kind (possibly involving spherical objects?). Like part of the problem is that the status quo has gotten worse. Only we know the status quo has been this stupid for women for a long time, so...

Again, it's not that various kinds of discrimination against men haven't been SOP for stretches of history, but more that comment trivializing a lot of people's suffering.

Well, at least, that's why I'm annoyed with it at this point. Can't really speak for Vector, I s'pose.

*Correct me if I'm wrong
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 13, 2013, 01:57:06 am »

That website is a reflection of the institutions that determine where funding goes for a wide, wide array of topics. It isn't some extremest blog, it isn't a forum where bigots gather, it isn't even the views held by some people. It isn't a just website, it is the law of the land.

I know this isn't new, but I'm annoyed it still exists, and I am annoyed that page has been up since 22 December 2010 without anybody bothering to do something about it. Find me any other source of a government making such abused gender gaps and I will be equally offended. Yes I am pissed off about laws that prevent women from driving in middle eastern countries, but at least somebody on earth is trying to fight against that. Nobody really seems to give a fuck on these issues.

I got that page from a friends status update on facebook, and he was inundated with people pretty much telling him that neither men nor women need other resources.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 13, 2013, 01:59:43 am »

No, that was what I was driving at.

My god, I'm glad you're outraged, but I wish you had some for us when things are totally unbalanced against us as well.  Even in Western countries.

I know this isn't new, but I'm annoyed it still exists, and I am annoyed that page has been up since 22 December 2010 without anybody bothering to do something about it. Find me any other source of a government making such abused gender gaps and I will be equally offended. Yes I am pissed off about laws that prevent women from driving in middle eastern countries, but at least somebody on earth is trying to fight against that. Nobody really seems to give a fuck on these issues.

I am really impressed by your naivete.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 13, 2013, 02:02:51 am »

Well you can sit there on your high seat with your pretty princess crown and call me naive, or you can educate me.
Go on, tell me about it. What to direct my disapproval at. Tell me how it is going to be.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 13, 2013, 02:05:31 am »

Well you can sit there on your high seat with your pretty princess crown and call me naive, or you can educate me.

No.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30