Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30

Author Topic: Sexism Thread #23  (Read 19501 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Sexism Thread #23
« Reply #420 on: August 13, 2013, 02:09:40 am »

So you are just going to say I'm naive and not give any justification... Yea, I'm the one who is a silly person. You're totally not even just resorting to unjustified name calling. Wonderful...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 13, 2013, 02:15:06 am »

You're totally not even just resorting to unjustified name calling.

Well you can sit there on your high seat with your pretty princess crown

0_o
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 13, 2013, 02:18:58 am »

Psh shows how much he knows. It was a pretty princess ornamental circlet.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 13, 2013, 02:25:06 am »

So...

o.o this thread is now the 'watch Vector and random people have the same debate for the hundredth time' thread, mm?

Because whenever new stuff comes up, it always ends up as the same thing that's been talked about over and over and over and it's kinda starting to get annoying now.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 13, 2013, 02:30:05 am »

It is because how do you talk about specifics when the basics are still up for debate?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: August 13, 2013, 02:36:59 am »

o.o this thread is now the 'watch Vector and random people have the same debate for the hundredth time' thread, mm?

First of all, I am not the only person who shows up to these conversations consistently.

Second of all, if other women consistently posted in these threads, I wouldn't.  I feel it's helpful to hear a female point of view.

I hear you.  I'm annoying.  Whatever.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 13, 2013, 02:45:03 am »

As a random person who posts pretty frequently in these, I'm going to spend all night harrumphing now. I hope you're happy, ragnarok97071, if that is your real name.

Also, you don't have to watch. Say whatever new stuff you think needs to show up. Otherwise, we're never going to stop annoying you.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 13, 2013, 02:49:33 am »

I feel it's helpful to hear a female point of view

Ahhh, now that would be an interesting topic for debate.

After all the usual method for trying to reach a proper conclusion is to try to be free from bias. Yet this is openly inviting bias.

Yet does that bias carry the real weight of the discussion? Or does it weight it down?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 13, 2013, 02:51:40 am »

That sounds suspiciously like waving off a eyewitness accounts as "biased".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 13, 2013, 02:52:05 am »

I feel it's helpful to hear a female point of view

Ahhh, now that would be an interesting topic for debate.

After all the usual method for trying to reach a proper conclusion is to try to be free from bias. Yet this is openly inviting bias.

Yet does that bias carry the real weight of the discussion? Or does it weight it down?

"A female point of view creates bias"

FUCKING SERIOUSLY?  HOW IS THE FUCKING MALE POINT OF VIEW NOT BIASED?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 13, 2013, 02:57:04 am »

FUCKING SERIOUSLY?  HOW IS THE FUCKING MALE POINT OF VIEW NOT BIASED?

To give a "female point of view" is to say "as a female, I feel"

Not many people here speak in the male point of view.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 13, 2013, 02:58:42 am »

And your understanding of the universe, the information you collect, the things you know, the data to which you have access is not at all tainted or biased by being a man.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 13, 2013, 03:00:21 am »

And your understanding of the universe, the information you collect, the things you know, the data to which you have access is not at all tainted or biased by being a man.

Would you like me to give the male perspective for the answer?

Which by the way, is my answer.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 03:02:58 am by Neonivek »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 13, 2013, 03:13:20 am »

Neonivek, I don't think you understand what bias is, or the reasons why it's avoided. Because your argument seems to somehow hinge on the idea that because Vector pointed out that she's a woman, she must be less reliable than men who don't point out that they're men. There are... several leaps in your logic there that I'm completely unable to follow. But basically you need to explain why saying "This has relevance to me" could be automatic grounds for disqualification in a conversation.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 13, 2013, 03:15:52 am »

Neonivek, I don't think you understand what bias is, or the reasons why it's avoided. Because your argument seems to somehow hinge on the idea that because Vector pointed out that she's a woman, she must be less reliable than men who don't point out that they're men. There are... several leaps in your logic there that I'm completely unable to follow. But basically you need to explain why saying "This has relevance to me" could be automatic grounds for disqualification in a conversation.

No, not at all. You are simply confusing a "Woman's perspective" and a "Woman's perspective".

One is an unavoidable bias simply from being a human being a "human perspective" while the other is intentionally giving personal bias from your "personal perspective".
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30