Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 30

Author Topic: Sexism Thread #23  (Read 19513 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sexism Thread #23
« Reply #390 on: May 26, 2013, 08:51:38 pm »

The intersectionality line?  Or womanism?

Feminism is, at the moment, working on its problems.  Feminism and LGBT movements have generally managed to join forces without too much difficulty; the "health at every size" movement plays along well, too.  The whole racism problem, though. . . not going quite as well, still in process.

But yes, the main thrust of third wave feminism is about intersectionality and finding out how power structures influence every human on the planet.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 26, 2013, 09:45:46 pm »

Oddly enough one of my favorite feminists is an economist.

The main thrust of her work was to transform economic intangibles (For example unpaid time) into tangible constructs. Which with what little I hear from her, and I won't do more research because everytime I do things turn out badly, her work stops seeming like "feminism" especially as her work is easily able to expand outward and applied elsewhere.

Mostly her job is to try to find ways to value things beyond money units.

The feminisms I dislike the most are what I call "the Semantics" and the ones where, it is hard to describe, where women are purely inactive and passive in everything and have absolutely no mark on culture beyond what men dictate to them.

In other words I like feminisms that make sense and grounded firmly in reality. At least the reality I believe I live in.

Also from my textbooks it says there are 4 kinds of sexisms. I wonder if I could find it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 04:12:32 am by Neonivek »

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 02, 2013, 07:47:35 pm »

Somehow I felt this belongs in the general thread more than the other one: http://youtu.be/ue9Ao_bdX6Y

Since we already established that obnoxious strawman arguments insults are fine, actual satire should be too. There are some video issues towards the end.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 02, 2013, 08:14:21 pm »

Probably what hurts the satire the most is that... I'd like to see this video done seriously.

In the sense of an honest look to see how we progressed as a society when it came to these issues. Which would be a lot more interesting then its satire of white male supremists.

That and I am sure I'll be seeing someone link this Satire again, except in a more insulting fashion :P
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 08:16:12 pm by Neonivek »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 06, 2013, 10:18:57 pm »

Was there some sort of derail removed?  I seem to remember seeing more of this thread when I glanced previously.

EDIT: Whooops, wrong thread.  Moving right along.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 06, 2013, 11:24:33 pm »

So now that this thread is started back up - wait wrong thread.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 06, 2013, 11:28:02 pm »

It's a quality thread and I want it bac- wait, wrong thread yeah no it's the right one :3c

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #397 on: June 07, 2013, 03:33:44 am »

Oh hey the thread's alive aga- oh bugger.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 07, 2013, 03:41:05 am »

What, is this thread the new candlejack?

Shame that it's not actually ba-
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 07, 2013, 04:18:55 am »

Don't spam.
Love, scriver~

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 08, 2013, 06:14:43 am »

I just had a bit of an interesting thought. Some people say men are privileged in that their leader is the vast majority of the time a male. This isn't a privilege, or at least not for men. The vast, vast majority of men will never hold a political position, instead being subject to what ever laws their leaders make, so it is in a mans best interest to have the best leader possible, regardless gender, so opposing female leadership doesn't help men in the least.

This privilege does, however help male politicians greatly because it cuts competition by 50%, as well as anybody close to those leaders. The spouse of a patriarch benefits more from this privilege more than the vast, vast majority of men, not to mention the women that also suffer, potential leaders or otherwise.

Maybe we should stop telling men they are over privileged and for equity to exist they will need to give that up, and start telling men about the privileges they have been denied such as the right to the best possible leader.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #401 on: June 08, 2013, 10:08:18 am »

I think it is best to look at privilege within a limited domain.

In that case, male politicians DO have a privilege over female politicians.

And in the case of primary education teachers? women have a privilege over men.

Then if you want to get an overall picture you can rank and count those areas of privilege. Things are improving, in every part of the world I know enough about to comment on, women are still at a disadvantage.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 08, 2013, 10:20:19 am »

Agreed. The bias is there in the west and greater in many others. Privilege when speaking about large groups isn't very applicable to leadership, besides.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 08, 2013, 12:10:14 pm »

Yup, I think I'm done with both of the threads.  Have a good time.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 12, 2013, 06:59:21 pm »

http://www.dcp.wa.gov.au/CrisisAndEmergency/Pages/DomesticViolenceHelplines.aspx

So, how abut today we play a little game? Read that page, it is pretty short, and try to guess why one might find that incredibly off setting and maybe even a little unfair. Just a little.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 30