Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30

Author Topic: Sexism Thread #23  (Read 19594 times)

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sexism Thread #23
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2013, 01:31:54 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:37:54 pm by Ogdibus »

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2013, 01:43:19 am »

Is it possible to talk about real eastern cultures, without bringing up Japan, which is a western country, and its fake cartoons that don't even depict Japanese life and attitudes, let alone its neighbors who aren't western?

In China... which is not Hong Kong, but okay, fine... people are more relaxed about all these things. The concern that westerners have for getting everything exactly equal to an excruciating level of precision makes the reality of everyday relationships much worse, even unbearable. That's why westerners marry so late, and often divorce. In China, if you aren't married at age 28, people called you a special name and wonder amongst themselves which part of your body is broken.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2013, 01:53:06 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:38:01 pm by Ogdibus »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2013, 01:57:06 am »

I'm not really sure why you're so concerned with marriage there, Gervassen.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2013, 02:12:20 am »

Is it possible to talk about real eastern cultures, without bringing up Japan, which is a western country, and its fake cartoons that don't even depict Japanese life and attitudes, let alone its neighbors who aren't western?

In China... which is not Hong Kong, but okay, fine... people are more relaxed about all these things. The concern that westerners have for getting everything exactly equal to an excruciating level of precision makes the reality of everyday relationships much worse, even unbearable. That's why westerners marry so late, and often divorce. In China, if you aren't married at age 28, people called you a special name and wonder amongst themselves which part of your body is broken.
But I don't understand, if you want to know about "real" eastern cultures, why are we talking about Asia? I mean Japan and South Korea are obviously contaminated by the west, North Korea has modelled itself entirely after Russia, and China is a little from column A, and a little from column B. There are obviously no real significant Asian countries is Asia.

As for the media thing, this is of course perfectly sensible, I mean all those old examples of blacks being negatively stereotyped in American media during the early 20th century was obviously not because of racism, it's not as if the media of a nation are at all reflective of the nation's prejudices or points of view.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2013, 05:24:51 am »

In China... which is not Hong Kong, but okay, fine... people are more relaxed about all these things. The concern that westerners have for getting everything exactly equal to an excruciating level of precision makes the reality of everyday relationships much worse, even unbearable. That's why westerners marry so late, and often divorce.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. This is not hoe relationships work in any western country. What you're doing here is a ridiculous misdepiction of the real world, the exact equivalent of me saying Chinese relationships is all about the woman being enslaved under her "master". If you actually believe that is how things are over here, I suggest you come here, or come back here, and engage in a couple of actual relationships with real people instead of your own strawmen.

In China, if you aren't married at age 28, people called you a special name and wonder amongst themselves which part of your body is broken.

If you can't immediately spot everything that is wrong about this, I'm not sure where to even start. So I'm gonna give you the benefit if the doubt here; did you actually mean to imply that this was a good thing?
Love, scriver~

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2013, 05:31:42 am »

No true Scotsmen Eastern nation, right?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2013, 05:36:00 am »

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2013, 05:56:20 am »

There are so many things asploding in Japan

That's an incredibly long article that I'm not sure entirely why you linked.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2013, 07:17:41 am »

My two pennies from the last thread:

There was a lot of discussion on the gender ratios in the academic world, especially in mathematics and science. As a mathematician in the UK, I can offer the statistics from my own college:
The male:female ratio is, overall, currently around 11:9, though individual years vary from 3:2 to 2:3.
I don't know the ratio for many subjects, but the worst I know of is in math, with a ratio of between 3:1 and 2:1.
The subject with the highest female ratio that I know of is Biology, with a ratio of between 1:3 and 1:2.
The majority of subjects have a gender ratio of around 1:1.
In maths at least, there is no gender difference in marks achieved that I know of.

When it comes to views that people are more/less competent at things based on gender, I'm going to make a distinction between direct gender influences and indirect gender influences. In a perfect world, where males and females receive the exact same opportunity in all affairs, then the only gender differences will be from direct influences. However, as was pointed out previously, females often receive lots of discouragement when it comes to fields such as mathematics, so that would result in indirect influences.

I believe that indirect gender influences should be minimized as much as possible, but should still be accounted for while they exist and are prevalent.

For example, the university I am at receives a lot of accusations of racism, because the number of ethnic minority students here is a lot lower than than the national average, and at other universities. However, this is because the ethnicity ratios in the applicants is so skewed. Given the ethnic distribution of the applicants, the university does not exhibit a racial bias. The large difference in ethnicities of applicants is due to indirect influences, not direct ones. As a result, I would be firmly against forcing the university to accept applicants so their ethnic distribution was in line with the national average.

Similarly, I do not consider the gender differences here to be symptomatic of sexism here (at least not directly). Instead, it is symptomatic of individuals experiencing sexism at some point at or before here. The course of action to minimize sexism would be to divide up the history of the individuals into different processes (in this case, stages of education) and to, for each process, compare the distributions before and after.

I am of the opinion that the are that needs the most attention by far is education, especially in the early years.

I am very wary of any attempts to try and compensate for or counteract gender differences (be they direct or indirect). It is adding indirect influence, which is something I do not support. It also implies that it is possible to 'trade off' sexism - that is, say that discrimination in favour of someone at point X is compensation for discrimination against them at point Y, which I do not believe is possible. It also poses a danger of being self-perpetuating: if action is taken to compensate for an indirect gender influence, some others may think that it is to compensate for a direct gender influence, therefore propagating sexism.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2013, 09:01:07 am »

Ooh, a thread where I can resume learning how to effectively imitate you humans!
Please continue.

Good joke! Quite the opposite, in fact. 80% of this thread is martian-level oddity to most humans outside modern western culture. I'm just going to chime in here and say, come to hong kong and marry here, if this thread gives you headaches. Life is better when men and women are trying to help each other in marriage, rather than keeping score about who's more equal.
Equality Spambot is best Spambot.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2013, 09:26:09 am »

That's an incredibly long article that I'm not sure entirely why you linked.
Interesting read, thread derailed into anime and no true Japansmen, link is delivered.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2013, 09:58:13 am »

PTWTTFH
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2013, 10:02:07 am »

Skimmed through it; some valid complaints some silly ones. Overall rather... dumb? Is the best way to describe that article. Too many absolutes and generalizations.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2013, 11:51:53 am »

Lastly, please develop the common causes of tension between societal expectations and pressures and women.
I don't have time travel (yet), so sadly I can't fulfil that request. For the others, I'm not omniscient while in this body, so I can't answer them.

Scrounge around, one of the locals will have it somewhere.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30