Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30

Author Topic: Sexism Thread #23  (Read 19535 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sexism Thread #23
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2013, 02:16:28 am »

Mm, I'll just say that I've noticed a trend in past discussions of sexism here that bringing up anecdotal examples tends to lead to misunderstandings and unproductive arguments. I'm not saying to not do it, exactly, but to be cautious in doing so.

This isn't so much Anecdotal "evidence" so much as conversation fuel so long as people don't take it too far.

After all there are tons of exceptions.

Heck I specifically set up the Jem example to be misleading... and the fact that she never tells him isn't supposed to be brushed off.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 02:19:37 am by Neonivek »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2013, 02:36:09 am »

Yeah, but part of the thing is that science often ignores women's lived experience in order to explain a preconceived notion.  Like, science around physics is pretty good nowadays, but science around women's issues is a site of an unusually large proportion of, well, bad science.  So anecdata is used because folks know the studies are wrong, and often they go on to be overturned.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2013, 02:37:42 am »

Yeah, but part of the thing is that science often ignores women's lived experience in order to explain a preconceived notion.  Like, science around physics is pretty good nowadays, but science around women's issues is a site of an unusually large proportion of, well, bad science.  So anecdata is used because folks know the studies are wrong, and often they go on to be overturned.

There is no science done here. Just observations which have no conclusions yet.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2013, 02:39:34 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:40:34 pm by Ogdibus »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2013, 02:42:14 am »

Like all of those famous "menstruating women emit poisonous gases that are harmful to all forms of life" studies.  They were pseudoscience, to be sure, and all the women knew that the conclusions were ridiculous, but by the establishment they were held up as valid scientific work.  There is still science today that we call science, and looks like science, but sure as heck isn't science.  That's one of the many reasons why it's very important to get minorities into research--to balance out some of the biases given to us by the established power structures, and help us find the truth.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2013, 02:48:10 am »

Like all of those famous "menstruating women emit poisonous gases that are harmful to all forms of life" studies

I don't know that sounds like it could be based off of something real.

It is what I like to call "False by misleading interpretation of data"

So a woman is menstruating right? So she has blood, the blood rots, and thus it has rotted so it is a "poisonous gas"... Now Poisonous gasses are toxic to all forms of life right? Yes.

The difference between what I wrote and what that was trying to imply... is that they overblown what was simply an unimportant natural phenomenon. As well as the conclusions: Would it even matter if while menstruating women grown fangs filled with poisonous venom?

Mind you I have no idea if blood rots.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 02:49:50 am by Neonivek »

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2013, 02:51:29 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:40:46 pm by Ogdibus »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2013, 02:56:52 am »

Would it even matter if while menstruating women grown fangs filled with poisonous venom?
Implying they don't! Huehuehue!!!! Am I right guys! Quick, somebody give me a macho high five, I need to feel validated. Validate me!!! VALIDATE MEEEE!!!!

Anyway, where were these studies? When were these studies? How were these studies? That honestly sounds like one of the most stupid and ridicules things ever! Please, please tell me there is a collage called 'Texas Man Tec' and their motto is "Non licuit puellae"

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2013, 04:00:35 am »

Yeah, so read this.

And then look up "menotoxin" and see that some nutbags still believe in it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2013, 04:08:49 am »

Ok so I got this far down
Gently place flowers in water on the one hand… and have a menstruating woman roughly handle another bunch in order to really get her dirty hands on them:
Before shouting at my computer "THAT ISN'T HOW A CONTROL GROUP WORKS!!!"
So... Lets continue reading, this can only get better.

Hoo boy, another great gem!
Soon, people were injecting menstrual blood into rodents, and those rodents were dying (Pickles 1979).
Ok so apparently if you don't know how to use a control group correctly, just don't use one at all, right? I could literally use this same method to prove any group of people are toxic! This is great! But hey, lets keep reading.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2013, 04:14:04 am »

Oh good, another sexism thread and somehow nobody invoked kitchens. Poisonous menstruation yes, but not kitchens. PTW.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2013, 04:15:19 am »

And then look up "menotoxin" and see that some nutbags still believe in it.
That led me to 'menstruation art'.

;_;

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2013, 04:17:28 am »

Wow. People in the past sure were silly and superstitious. Thankfully everyone today knows that the real reason to avoid contact with women is the danger of contracting cooties.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2013, 04:17:53 am »

Hahahahahaha D:

Nineteen-fucking-seventy-nine.  Seriously...

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2013, 04:19:50 am »

Didn't CIA experiment with psychic powers around that time? Yeah, definitely sounds like a barbaric age of silly superstitions to me.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30