Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30

Author Topic: Sexism Thread #23  (Read 19515 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Sexism Thread #23
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 07:10:45 pm »

Men who actually apply for custody get it 50% of the time (citation; you can follow their citations if you're so inclined).

I have a really hard time seeing that as discrimination.

that is a yes, family judicial system puts the mother ahead of the father for custody. Ignoring the facts that the father could provide a better lifestyle for child but no you can't tear children away from their mothers thats horrid

Courts usually place children with the primary caregiver.

How much of that is selection bias because the majority of men who attempt to seek full custody of their children are doing so because their spouse poses a great danger to those children and therefore worth the risk and cost? From what I know about non-abuse divorces, men tend to accept less custody than they want in order to prevent a custody fight and risk losing everything.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 07:13:43 pm »

I've got to be honest--I know very little about this, and think that you may well be correct; however, I'm sharing the statistic largely because I've previously been fully on the other side, and wanted to see what anyone knew about this new piece of information.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 08:49:27 pm »

Posting to watch sexist thread

I thought you said sexiest.

I'm still of the opinion of egalitarianism being extended to every aspect of society, but we need to remove gender role enforcement. Breaking the glass ceiling, and such.

Details, current forms, projections and counters. I want's lots. I'll be honest here, I'm familiar with the general role expectations of men and what they think of them, being fairly self evident, but i don't know about what goes in the heads of gaggles of (occasionally self-contradictory) girls, alternately breaking out of the paradigms or seemingly embracing (some of) them, but then again i have a small selection pool, which is kinda the point of the internet. I realize that the relative omnipresence and long history has an impact, but even so i retain some surprise that the reaction isn't more harsh. I would greatly appreciate drawing on relevant pools of knowledge here.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 09:35:37 pm »

Hmm... I'm having a hard time understanding which information, specifically, you're looking for.  I'll happily provide, though.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 10:09:08 pm »

Seriously?  Remember how long that sexism and women in video games thread lasted?

It actually didn't get locked. Discussion just slowed down and stopped eventually. I assume the thread will get bumped again when the second episode comes out.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2013, 10:15:49 pm »

Ooh, a thread where I can resume learning how to effectively imitate you humans!
Please continue.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2013, 10:17:34 pm »

Specifically, how many, and how early, do women chafe against baseline gender roles (as well as how), how many are oblivious, and why they do or do not take action. How many women support each of the extents of action. Lastly, please develop the common causes of tension between societal expectations and pressures and women. You gave the example of dressing as unsexualised as possible in the previous thread if wishing to be taken seriously.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2013, 10:21:05 pm »

Lastly, please develop the common causes of tension between societal expectations and pressures and women.
I don't have time travel (yet), so sadly I can't fulfil that request. For the others, I'm not omniscient while in this body, so I can't answer them.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2013, 11:45:14 pm »

Ooh, a thread where I can resume learning how to effectively imitate you humans!
Please continue.

Good joke! Quite the opposite, in fact. 80% of this thread is martian-level oddity to most humans outside modern western culture. I'm just going to chime in here and say, come to hong kong and marry here, if this thread gives you headaches. Life is better when men and women are trying to help each other in marriage, rather than keeping score about who's more equal.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2013, 11:58:44 pm »

Yes, China, the country that became notable in the last decade for having a huge amount of sex-selection abortions because people did not want to have daughters. That country doesn't have too many problems with sexism.

Just because the problems are different from the west doesn't mean they're not there.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2013, 12:18:41 am »

Just because the problems are different from the west doesn't mean they're not there.
Indeed. I see a lot of people claiming anime is progressive too, when in reality it's just as backward as western animation (just in a different way).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2013, 12:23:38 am »

Indeed. I see a lot of people claiming anime is progressive too, when in reality it's just as backward as western animation (just in a different way).

A lot of the progression in anime doesn't come from genuine lack of sexism but more that Anime tends to be able to market itself to males and females more effectively then western media.

What makes it progressive is mostly the fact that males and females are both competent within the same show very consistently (there is usually no female based incompetence). As well female leads in non-comedies are extremely common and come out all the time.

What Anime tends to do that western media doesn't anywhere close to as much is exploit the heck out of their female characters... like MAD! Like sexploitation somehow cured cancer.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:25:43 am by Neonivek »

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2013, 12:37:05 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:37:36 pm by Ogdibus »

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2013, 12:39:05 am »

Hoo boy. I'm staying out of this one, but PTW and predicting eventual lock.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2013, 01:11:45 am »

like the "strong female character that is destined to be surpassed by the inexperienced try-hard male protagonist".  I get really sick of seeing both.

HOLY HECK I LOATHE THAT!

There is a reason why I say "Anime hates women"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30