Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 51

Author Topic: BM XLI: On Wings of Haven -- Scum Victory!  (Read 100309 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: BM XLI: Day 2, A Silent Requiem -- Day 2!
« Reply #630 on: June 14, 2013, 05:40:57 am »

Vote standings:

• Griffionday(0) -
  • Lenglon(0) -
  • griffinpup(0) -
  • nightcrafter27(0) -
  • TheWetSheep(2) - Vector, nightcrafter27
  • Vector(3) - TheWetSheep,  Leafsnail, Lenglon
  • Leafsnail(1) - Griffionday,
  • Not Voting(1) - griffinpup

Day 2 has begun and will end at June 14, 2013. [Friday] 9:00 pm [GMT//UTC +8]

Extension requests: 2 (Should I add in Vector's? It was before the previous extension had been acknowledged.)
Shorten requests: 0

3 votes needed to extend the day
4 votes needed to shorten the day

Praise be, for Think's LurkerTracker!

"Too quiet..."
".."
"..."
"..."
"What are we supposed to be looking for, standing around here? It's a whole tower of mirrors."
"Shh-Ears."
"Ahh."
"Shh!"

The wind whistles at the opening of the room, high up above in a deep, and perhaps an ominous, tone.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: BM XLI: Day 2, A Silent Requiem -- Day 2 -- In the Hall of Glass
« Reply #631 on: June 14, 2013, 05:53:40 am »

Extend
there, that should solve the dilemma
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 14, 2013, 06:04:13 am »

Wait a moment, Vector, something seemed off, so I started checking the timestamps on the posts you quoted, and about two-thirds of your quotes are dated after your vote here:
Right.  I'll start with this.

TheWetSheep is scum.  More tomorrow.

you DO have one example of bandwagoning and buddying each that predates your vote, but I'm surprised to think you were so confident that Sheep is scum off of so little data back then.

Don't get me wrong, this doesn't invalidate the rest of your case on Sheep, I just want to know why you voted him at the time you did, do you have more data to share?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 14, 2013, 06:19:04 am »

The day has been extended!

Vote standings:

• Griffionday(0) -
  • Lenglon(0) -
  • griffinpup(0) -
  • nightcrafter27(0) -
  • TheWetSheep(2) - Vector, nightcrafter27
  • Vector(3) - TheWetSheep,  Leafsnail, Lenglon
  • Leafsnail(1) - Griffionday,
  • Not Voting(1) - griffinpup

Day 2 has begun and will end at June 18, 2013. [Tuesday] 9:00 pm [GMT//UTC +8]

Extension requests: 0
Shorten requests: 0

3 votes needed to extend the day
4 votes needed to shorten the day

Praise be, for Think's LurkerTracker!

"Say, you don't think it's the spider that we should be watching out for, and not the runed tablet, aye?"
"Oh no. We weren't looking for a spider. I mean, we're all looking up to admire the mirrors."
"Your sarcasm hurts me."
"..."
"H-wait, does a spider make the usual clickety-clackity that we see in the illusions those bards give to stories or-"
"Hold that thought. You did say it was photosensitive right?"
"She did."
"Shh!"
"Well, that's what she said..."
"...Given the topographical location of the sunwell, and the fact that we've seen something of that nature in here, it can't be coincidence that it was here for a reason. Especially since it seems to burn in the light."
"Oh so you now say it's invisible, huh."
"Just hold that mirror. If we can't directly see it, then I bet it's with the angles of light. Move that a bit to the left."
"Your left or mine?"
"Y-My left!"

No evidence of a creature is seen in the reflections around you.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 06:20:53 am by Tiruin »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 14, 2013, 06:22:36 am »

Tiruin, we're still missing the end of day 1 and start of day 2 flavor, it's making the flavor you're posting a little confusing.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 14, 2013, 06:36:21 am »

I know :/

I'm just tied up with current medical studies at the moment that I'm bothering myself on posting the flavor. Despite knowing what'll happen. Yeah I'm like that when these things roll around.

I'll be posting it during ~weekends.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 14, 2013, 06:39:33 am »

Kay, I hope your studies are going well at least.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 14, 2013, 09:00:14 am »

Leafsnail, this phrase reads odd to me.  I'm under the impression that lynching some particular role is only scummy if you know someone has that role--which I didn't.  That would be why I lynched him.
I am referring to the fact you stated you thought he was probably not scum, but kept voting him anyway even though that would make him a cop.  For example, in post #409 you say that your gut says he's town, and in post #443 you list a scumteam that doesn't include him.
I didn't notice what he was doing!  I'd like to note that most of the arguments through this game against me have been "I expect Vector to play such-and-such way but she did something else," or "I thought Vector was more observant than that."  This is bullshit.  The position of IC has been loaded up with far too much baggage and mythos about how "good" players play and what they do.

No, I am not perfect.  But folks can scumhunt me and reaction test just the same as they would everyone else.

The problem with this is that it pits the ICs against each other, where what is important is not scumtells but the ability to give off the illusion of being perfect.

Well, anyway.  This isn't a complaint at you in particular.
I accept your point here.

Because what I thought he did was claim a role that didn't exist in order to save his scummy ass, when he was nowhere near being lynched.  Instead, he appeared to claim a role that does exist in order to save his scummy ass, when he was nowhere near being lynched.  Basically, the difference between making a stupid mistake and being scummy, vs. just being scummy.

Because I didn't notice what he was doing.
Completely escaped my notice.  Dem felt bad, but there was nothing I could really put my finger on.

The shortening seemed strange to me because they're uncommon, but I figured that hey, the day was wearing on and no one was getting anywhere, it was a good call.  What I didn't notice was where his vote was.
I guess I can believe that.  Now that I've pointed it out, though, would you say that makes him scum, particularly given your previous feeling that his playerslot was scum?

I didn't question Ford because he was already up for replacement, IIRC, or at the very least had been absent for a very, very long time.  Demdemeh had just replaced in and more of his stuff seemed off than the other players, but I didn't get a really strong scummy feeling off of him.

This game is a balance between the mind and the heart.  I know that sounds like total bullshit, but let me explain.  There's what you think by instinct and feeling, and what you think based on logic.  Gut said Cado was telling the truth.  Logic said Cado was lying.  There was absolutely no evidence I could find for my gut feeling, and plenty of reason to think he was lying, or quite probably could be lying.  And I knew that if he was alive, then this question would probably dominate the rest of the game.  Was he lying?  In another game (Magic Mafia), I had been certain he was telling the truth, instinctively so.  This meant that my gut was not trustworthy in this case.
This strikes me as a kind of gambler's fallacy?  Because he was scum and lied in a previous game, he's scum and lying this time as well?

Beyond that, process of elimination gave me a very small pool of targets.  Cado had been scummiest in his tenure, by far, and every question I asked him made me more logically certain that he was scum.

Maybe you aren't a conflicted sort of person, Leafsnail, but I'm trying to play transparently and go through my entire thought process for those of us who are.  Part of that involves this sort of conflict.  I lynched someone who I thought was scum, but not someone who I felt was scum.  I like these two things to be in accord, because usually when they are, then it's the right lynch.  This time, I was wrong.
The thing is, I still don't understand what caused you to think Cado was scum.  I certainly don't see what would cause you to think that to the extent that it was worth risking a lynch on a town cop for.

You didn't play in Magic Mafia, right?  As town, Ranger lied multiple times--really big whoppers, like "I'm a rolecop, and here are my results on you"!--without anyone having any idea about it.  I had absolutely no idea.  He also had a habit of lying when under fire, again, with no one the wiser.  This caused me to give no consideration to my gut instincts, because even if they're usually right, I had evidence that when it comes to Cado, they weren't worth paying any attention to.  This is something I mentioned multiple times throughout the end of that day.

"Then why mention them at all?"

Well, because I'm ICing and it would have helped my game a lot when I first started to get a clearer discussion of thinking and feeling, that's why.  And also because it wasn't true that I "believed" him to be scum, or that I didn't believe that.  The situation was more complicated than could be adjudicated using that one word.
Again, I'm still struggling to see what made Cado appear as scum "logically" to you.  Because he was a town liar in a previous game?

Why yes, it is not a net positive to lynch an important town power role D1!  God, I'm glad I've been playing this game for four years so that I got a chance to say that.

However, you're acting like he was a CT, and we were all standing around going "huh, should we lynch this cop or not?"  Maybe it was obvious to you that he wasn't lying.  It wasn't obvious to me.  Hell, I was pretty convinced he was lying, because why the hell would he panic and claim with only three not-so-serious votes on him if he wasn't scum?  Stupid town?  Then why did he keep saying more stupid, scummy shit the more I pressed him?

The only thing out of line with my read on him was my gut feeling, and I did my best to rule that out because there were very compelling reasons to assume it incorrect.
My point was more that lynching a cop claim day one is a bad move, and that those other four players all arrived at that conclusion by similar logic.  You can wait until day two with no real risk, and that way a town cop would give you an inspection result or soak up a nightkill.  The thing I found odd is that you never truly addressed this point as made by four different players, except to point out that Griffion misspoke and to attack the weakest link in the chain of Lenglon's logic.

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
  • water covering (entire sheep)
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 14, 2013, 10:43:29 am »

I'll respond to more later.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 14, 2013, 11:56:20 am »

Nice case on Sheep there Vector, but this part at the end bothers me:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: the scumteam.  It's TheWetSheep and Nightcrafter.
you're going back on the philosophy you listed Day 1, about not chaining lynches, and why we should look for the scumteam one member at a time.
and I could simply have missed it, but I dont see your case on Nightcrafter. Could you please explain that one to me?

Ah.  A lot of the time, people go chaining lynches in the following way:

"If person A flips scum, then that will imply persons B and C are scum, so I will now attack B and C as though A is already dead."

Whereas the correct way to look for a scumteam is as follows:

"I have cleared persons D, E, F, and G, which leaves persons A, B, and C as the people who look pretty scummy.  I have independent cases on them with a main case on A, and can see some interactions between A, B, and C that would support this claim.  I will lynch A and find out what happens."

Look for scum independently.  If you haven't confirmed scum yet, then each suspicion should have a case on them that is independent from all the others.

For Nightcrafter... it's partially process of elimination, partially the person he replaced over from's general qualities, partially that scummy shortening news Leafsnail picked up.  I haven't looked too much at his recent posts, but ... well, look, that shortening in light of the rolecop thing is really bad.

But anyway, Nightcrafter is not the one I want lynched today.  That would be TheWetSheep, because he's the one I'm sure of.

Wait a moment, Vector, something seemed off, so I started checking the timestamps on the posts you quoted, and about two-thirds of your quotes are dated after your vote here:
Right.  I'll start with this.

TheWetSheep is scum.  More tomorrow.

you DO have one example of bandwagoning and buddying each that predates your vote, but I'm surprised to think you were so confident that Sheep is scum off of so little data back then.

Don't get me wrong, this doesn't invalidate the rest of your case on Sheep, I just want to know why you voted him at the time you did, do you have more data to share?

I was pretty sure TheWetSheep was scum after his second post.

Really?  You run into a new game, shoot from the hip, just happen to land on the side of one IC against another IC (admittedly, the situation is relevant--but after the cop, I am the next-juiciest lynch), and most of your argument is "yeah, what he said, he's great" with your own quotes pulled poorly and only deriving from the attacker's previously-established points?

We've played before.  Not only will I observe that his meta play is a ghost of what it was in our other game, I will say that he should know better than to do this little if he wants to take me down.  I look forward to seeing what he does after Leafsnail and I have finished arguing.

However, I addressed all of his recent posts in order to make that clearer for everyone else.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 14, 2013, 12:01:09 pm »

--Lenglon, actually that first part isn't entirely correct.  Most of the problem with chaining lynches is when someone says "Okay, we'll lynch A today and B tomorrow" with tenuous evidence that B is scum.  So, if you have two scum inspections from a confirmed town cop, "A today, B tomorrow" works.  Otherwise, it's usually a beginner mistake that either

a. Takes a focus off of you purported main case because you're confident about them; the main case can slip away

or

b. Is used by the scumteam to control the town's lynches

Leafsnail and TWS, I'll get to you in a bit.  Just woke up, taking a walk, etc.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

nightcrafter27

• Bay Watcher
  • Extrapolator Extrodinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 14, 2013, 02:13:14 pm »

TWS

The way I read the part of your case you linked, its based on her claiming to not know there was a cop, yes? The way I am interpreting this quote from Leafsnail, he is saying the same thing when he says "Vector should know better."
Ah wait.  I missed seeing the sane cops in the above setups.  Fuck me.

All right, explain.  Why are you claiming?
Vector should know better,  and the way she didn't miss a beat after her initial attack was shown to be wrong was suspicious.
Yes, our cases are the same, because that's what makes Vector scummy. You're not actually saying anything about the case in question. You just say I'm parroting Leafsnail's case, but I brought my own evidence to the table. You seem to be operating under the delusion that for two people to be voting the same person, those two have to have completely different reasons for that person's scumminess.

I'm not saying that pieces of evidence can't be used in multiple cases. What I'm saying is that your "own" evidence was already pointed out by Leafsnail. At the time, that was all you had.

The whole notion of "there's too much WIFOM in letting Cado live" is crap. Her argument was that the possible jailkeeper would be confused by it, but the scumteam would be too. It causes the exact same confusion for both teams.

So you are saying that if Cado survived the night, his inspections would have been believable?

Also, @"Nightcrafter is copying Vector's accusation of buddying":
Why are you buddying Leafsnail here?

TheWetSheep is scum because he's buddying

I was first.

Pup: Opinions on the cases being debated? Do you think I am scumbuddies with [insert player here]?

Quick post. Just got back from a day of flying, feeling worn out.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 14, 2013, 02:49:36 pm »

Vector,
--Lenglon, actually that first part isn't entirely correct.  Most of the problem with chaining lynches is when someone says "Okay, we'll lynch A today and B tomorrow" with tenuous evidence that B is scum.
It looks to me like A is Sheep and B is Nightcrafter here. currently your case on Nightcrafter is:
For Nightcrafter... it's partially process of elimination, partially the person he replaced over from's general qualities, partially that scummy shortening news Leafsnail picked up.  I haven't looked too much at his recent posts, but ... well, look, that shortening in light of the rolecop thing is really bad.

But anyway, Nightcrafter is not the one I want lynched today.  That would be TheWetSheep, because he's the one I'm sure of.
That... seems rather "tenuous" to me. why did you list him as the second scumteam member, with no qualifiers, at the end of your case on sheep? i mean, you "haven't looked too much at his recent posts", so it doesn't look to me like you actually care about who you fingered there, but that instead you felt the need to finger someone as a second scumteam member because it was the popular thing to do. if you think he's scum why didn't you do your research?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 14, 2013, 02:52:53 pm »

Did I say: "When A flips scum, we're gonna lynch B?"

No, I did not.  I did most of my research, but I didn't do my publication of results ::)

I have reads on every player in this game.  I am pretty confident in my process of elimination, and not only are there only two people left, but both of them have pretty damning data against them.

. . . Also it was 3 AM and I was kind of giddy, so I went ahead and said what I knew without saying why I know it.  *shrug*

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: June 15, 2013, 05:04:03 am »

Leafsnail:
This paragraph is nonsense.  You're accusing me of tunneling, yet you are the one doing so - focusing on exactly one player, declaring them scum, and not even bothering to try and identify the partner that they would need to have.  You're acting like you have to call people scum at the "drop of a hat" in order to have a secondary suspect, which is patently false.  As for what I'm doing, I am trying to give you advice so that you can improve as a player.  Because at the moment your play is appalling.
Firstly: you are right, I've been tunneling you.  Truthfully I've been playing a minimalist game for the past few weeks, finals at school were terrible this quarter and I needed to focus on them.  I apologize for doing so, and that my play has been so terrible.  I'll address your other points later.

There was a whole week before Vector's return.  If your accusation is true then there'd be no reason to rush at all (hint I wasn't rushing I was trying to post content as soon as possible to prevent the game from freezing up)
Interesting point... I'd not looked at it like that.

Buddying is an attempt to ingratiate yourself with another player.  There are generally two reasons for doing this:
1. So that the player you were buddying feels that you are less of a threat on some level, and is therefore less inclined to vote you
2. So that the player you were buddying is implicated if you die and flip mafia
Good definition, and unless I'm terribly mistaken some ballance these are pretty much the same definitions as everyone else's right?(Feel free to comment if it isn't)  I know I mostly care about the first point as a valid tell, the second is something to guard against after scum is lynched and you're looking through their interaction history.  Both are as you mention primarily scum behavior, but the first too some degree occurs with town as well.

This is the problem I have with you demanding a second scum; you're obviously not stupid and you know how to avoid drawing attention to your teammates: why the hell would you leave an obvious interaction with someone else?  As such I'm forced to resort to common scum-hunting to find my scum team rather than build a mental palace like yours where you are always correct.  Now yes, there MIGHT be signs that will make sense in retrospect, but unless I can eliminate them on other grounds than their interaction with you; then I must consider them as possible scum team with you.  If I don't, and follow your example of creating a hypothetical scum team in my mind and mention it I'm mentally handicapping myself if I get the first lynch right.

Nightcrafter:
Can I call you Night, or do you have a different preferred shortening?

Griffionday: You say the case on me should not be dropped and that you have evidence that Dem is scum. Where is it?
You're referring to these lines:
Considering his insistence that the case on you must not be automatically dropped (which I agree with) this seems suspicious to me.
You replaced in for someone who people thought was suspicious (I don't have time to trawl for the pressure right at this minute, but will eventually), and yet your first posts never even mentioned this, and rather jumped straight to your attacks.  You wasted no time trying to figure out if the context of Vector's actions made reasonable sense for a townie to take (or if you did you never commented on them) and your pressure on Dem barely touched the surface of what seemed suspicious about him to me, so yeah; hasty and weak.
Which Snail interpreted as:
I explained why Vector's actions only make sense for scum (unless lynching a cop is a townie thing to do), and I think my case on Dem was strong.  If you think there are even more damning points against Dem out there then great!  How about we lynch his slot then?
Presumably?

As I mention in the first post I saw a mix of noob-town and scum tells in Dem's behavior: While his attack on me felt very much like a scum going for an easy kill and his initial posts gloaty, everything from then on was... confusing.  I feel like I spent more time trying to get him to understand what exactly I was pressing him on than I did on pressing him.  Hence why I pressed on him for DAYS without being able to satisfy myself enough to compile a lynch case on him, despite the fact that I felt he was intolerably scummy.  The town-tell I mention was actually that he simply was not improving, yeah it's not much of a tell and only a noob-scum tell when it occurs, but I put some stock in it.  My hypothesis is that typically scum will learn how to blend in quicker than town, as they are getting the additional instruction provided by the scum IC; Dem quite frankly wasn't and this lack of change caused me to doubt my read.

My intent with that comment was to attempt to point out another reason why I felt that Leafsnail was suspicious from his early attacks, specifically that he seemed to not have a mental image of Dem as a player before he created his case, which felt very reactionary.  Now I philosophically agree that cases shouldn't automatically be dropped, such as I felt Leafsnail was doing with his own; but right now I read you as town.

Everyone:
Sorry for only responding! I'm working on updating my case on Leaf, which is taking longer than I thought it would. 
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 51