Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 51

Author Topic: BM XLI: On Wings of Haven -- Scum Victory!  (Read 100188 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BM XLI: Day 1, To Kill a Mockingbird
« Reply #180 on: May 20, 2013, 03:33:19 pm »

Ranger was scum so he was able to tell me IRL that I was not his scumbuddy.

Um

I hope that Ranger had been lynched in the game at that point
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 20, 2013, 03:38:35 pm »

I was dead before he joined. He knew nothing other than i was mafia and he wasn't.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Shinigami_King

• Bay Watcher
  • My flavor text tastes like apples!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 20, 2013, 03:43:29 pm »

Indeed, you can check out the last BM if you want meta game information on Lenglon, Ranger or myself. Lenglon and I joined in D3 I'm pretty sure  (not positive there) and Ranger was in it from the get go.

Vector- seems that you are on right now so I'm interested if you would like to add anything other than your coment of that last game. Do you have any questions for me?
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave"
"Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey. One is always aware that it lies in wait. Though life is merely a journey to the grave, it must not be undertaken without hope. Only then will a traveler's story live on, cherished by those who bid him farewell."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 20, 2013, 03:51:21 pm »

Vector- seems that you are on right now so I'm interested if you would like to add anything other than your coment of that last game. Do you have any questions for me?

No, I don't.  I'm waiting on Ford.

I'm leaving my vote on Lenglon because I'm still pretty sure that she's scum.  *shrug*  Sorru.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Shinigami_King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 20, 2013, 03:57:29 pm »

Demdemeh, Griffionday- you both have your votes on me and I have no way to protect myself if there is no substance to block. If you are voting for me, at least attack me. You both have just kind of will-o-the-wisped your way out of here. Fight me like a forum troll or something... I don't know... Anything?
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave"
"Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey. One is always aware that it lies in wait. Though life is merely a journey to the grave, it must not be undertaken without hope. Only then will a traveler's story live on, cherished by those who bid him farewell."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 20, 2013, 03:58:19 pm »

Maybe you should have worked harder on not killing the scum-hunting energy.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 20, 2013, 04:04:02 pm »

strange how all that energy came during the weekend, the usual quiet time of games.
[/quote]

Shinigami_King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 20, 2013, 04:11:03 pm »

Ranger- is that all you're going to comment on? Don't tell me you are scum AGAIN. What is you're take on this whole situation anyway? You seem to have a bad case of active lurking!

Vector- Sorry for the mood kill. That wasn't the intention, I promise you. Why exactly are you waiting for ford? You could be doing something else, you know, like scum hunt? Also regarding the Lenglon case. I'm pretty much done with it all. If she paints a target on herself now I can't go say we are at the very beginning of the game. That was my logic at first and then I stayed on the same side because I was backing someone up. You don't just leave them half way through, but if you still see Lenglon as scum then it will have to be Lenglon who persuades you differently.

Ranger- check your messages on either skype or steam. School stuff.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 20, 2013, 04:14:14 pm »

Ford is doing a reread, and I want to know what he has to say.  Making folks angry just to make them angry isn't worthwhile; it muddies the read.  So there's no point in picking a big fight with him over his not having reread yet.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 20, 2013, 04:50:51 pm »

Shinigami: So its active-lurking to be posting small things when the only things to comment on are on-going arguements that don't appear to be going anywhere? If you want my opinion then here:

The Vector + Lenglon situation: Vector is acting how she normally does while scum-hunting against Lenglon. Lenglon is acting nervously to this, possibly due to not being used to the amount of pressure on her or trying to find the Townie thing to say as Mafia. Leaning in favor of Vectors arguement here.

The Vector + Shinigami situation: Both have strained relations with eachother at the moment. Got off to a rough start with conflicting scum-hunting strategies. Each have cooled off a bit are are getting along better but still some stress remains that i can see. Null feelings here.

Can everyone please stop talking about lurking when the game started during the weekend? Seriously, no one was under any obligation to post during that time and i doubt anyone saw this amount of activity coming.
[/quote]

Shinigami_King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 20, 2013, 05:02:29 pm »

It isn't the weekend anymore. You're argument is invalid -_-

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 20, 2013, 05:41:13 pm »

My argument is that people can't be lurking until today. I was tired of people getting accused of lurking when tonight is the start of when they can be lurking.
[/quote]

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 20, 2013, 05:53:14 pm »

So you're accusing people of lurking that haven't posted in the last 12 hours?  This is my first post today, why haven't you been calling me a lurk?  Shinigami, people have lives, and you can't assume that none of the people 'lurking' don't have jobs or school from 9:00 to 5:00.  It's completely reasonable that they haven't been able to post yet, and they had no responsibility to post over the weekend.
Lenglon:
No I've not forgotten about you,

Pup: ok, you want a situation, how about the same RVS question I asked captain ford:
Captain: final hypothedical. you are mafia. it is night 1. on day 1 a bandwagon was forming on a townie. they claimed cop. do you NK the claimed cop or someone else? if someone else, the following day the cop claims to have investigated a random townie and found them clean. do you fakeclaim jailer?
since you claim to have put thought into the jailer role, why is fakeclaiming jailer a valid option in this situation?
Same question right back at you.  Why would fakeclaiming a jailer be a valid option?  It seems like a stupid option to me; as that will lead to a counter claim or being locked away by the real jailer.
the trick here is that the cop has already claimed a result from the night. odds on something as suspicious as a day1 cop claim would be confirmed by the jailer... by jailing him and seeing what he reports. since being jailed doesn't give you a notification, but having your cop investigate does, odds on if there is a jailer in the setup (only a 50-50 chance) he would use it on the cop, and if the cop reports a investigate result, you lynch him. so what you do is fakeclaim jailer, say you jailed the claimed cop, and that the cop is lying scum. easy lynch. when he flips town, you simply call him an idiot, and say that he probably panicked when he didn't get a result. make sure your most expendable mafiasco makes the claim because it's a really high-risk play. if there really was a jailer, and he counter-claims, then you have just successfully learned the identities of all the town power-roles, and you still have a chance to cause a mislynch by calling the cop and jailer combo the scumteam. after this your remaining mafiasco just needs a strong daygame and you'll be in the clear since you know who the power roles are and the jailer can't protect themselves.
First of all, the reason that I didn't respond to you was that I didn't have time.  I did jump in to tell Cheesecake that he didn't need to post over the weekend, but that was about all the time I had to do.  Secondly, to your question.  I'll start off telling what I would do.

I would not Fake-Claim a Jailer, because it is an intensely risky play for little or no added benefit.  In the optimum scenario, the person calls cop gets lynched, and he happens to not be the cop.  Unlikely, seeing how there was no counter-claim.  Also, if the real cop decided not to speak up, he would of examined him in the night and found him innocent. He then could claim cop day two after you fake-claim, and you get lynched.  The worst case scenario is town gets a free mafia lynch, and you probably get to know who the power roles are.  Not worth it, at all.  Your partner would have to avoid being lynched for two days, while avoiding inspections, to win.  Not impossible, but it is not worth trying this risky gambit.  If a Jail keeper counter claims your claim, you get lynched.  There is no convincing them that the cop and jail keeper are both mafia if the players are at all good.  If they lynched you, and you flipped jail keeper, they would have more then enough time to kill the mafia. This same reasoning would apply to a counter-claiming cop on day two.
I hope this answers your question.  Also, you claim to ask about jailkeeper, but the question is really about mafia, and how I would play one.  Why all these questions about mafia?  Is something on your mind?  The next time you want me to explain what I would do in a particular situation with a particular role, try to make up a situation where I have that role.  Note the question that you asked actually gave you next to no details about jailkeepers themselves and was merely an exercise of thought.  It was a bad question for your purpose and didn't answer your original query. 

Shinigami-  I'm going to scumhunt, and if you don't like it, well too bad.  It might mess up your 'state of being' or whatever, but I, for one, don't care as long as I find scum.  That's what you should be doing too.  What it looks like you're doing right now is waiting  for people to ask you questions, so you can answer them and avoid scumhunting.  You gave your reason for going light on scumhunting before is because it was the weekend. Well...
Get to work.

One for thing.  Don't write Griffon.  That is misspelling both my and Griffion Day's username.  Lenglon called me pup, which works, but specify.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 20, 2013, 06:02:34 pm »

Oh, one more thing Shinigami.  Don't ever say you'll lynch someone you don't think is town purely because of their playstyle unless it's in very exceptional circumstances.  It makes you look scummy beyond belief.  Other peoples post don't stop you from answering questions, and neither do they make you angry by themselves.  If you can't think if someone is posting walls of text, work on that.  Learn how to still be effective, regardless of the play around you.  Don't demand that other people fix their 'hostile' play.  Especially when no one else sees it that way.

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 20, 2013, 06:13:26 pm »

Long post because of ranting at Shinigami; I apologize to those who aren't him in advance.

Shinigami:

I recently picked up a job in my mornings and then I have classes most of the day, I tend to be more active 6pm-1am PST; likewise I tend to be more active over the weekend as I have more free time.  Stop expecting people to follow your strict regiment of activity and calling them lurky when they've not been so.

Right then; on to Q&A time:
Demdemeh, Griffionday- you both have your votes on me and I have no way to protect myself if there is no substance to block. If you are voting for me, at least attack me. You both have just kind of will-o-the-wisped your way out of here.
Well you could start by addressing what I voted for you on: plenty of material here for you to address about your play so far.

GriffionDay- Trying to be friends with the IC eh? Well would you explain why? There is no reason truly to support her seeing as she isn't really that pressured here. It seems like you just want a future friend to give you a get out of jail card.
Why am I supporting her? Pretty much the same reason that you're attacking her: my opinion of how she's going about ICing; and a desire to let her know my opinion so she doesn't feel forced to change what she's doing because of some idiots.  Of the two of you, she's been doing far more good for town by actually scum-hunting, putting together her reads on people and advising those who came to learn from an experienced player.  You on the other hand have actively disrupted someone's play, and haven't done much since to aid town in getting reads.

Notes on where I see your actions as violating town etiquette:
1:  If someone is applying pressure on someone you don't see as scummy, think about why they are doing so.  Even if you can't see their case give them some time to develop it.  Maybe they saw hints of something that you missed and are applying pressure to see if they can get their target to display it again so they can show the rest of town.  On the other hand maybe they don't really have a case and are just applying pressure to look like they are doing something.  Again by waiting for a bit you can observe them and see if their case develops into something substantial, if it doesn't and they don't back off then they are probably either guilty of tunneling or are scum; in either case pressure is appropriate to get them to rethink their case a bit.
2:  This is something that I personally have major difficulties with but: Just because they have a different play-style than you, doesn't make their play-style wrong.  This is critical to remember, especially for us newer players; being different than we expect doesn't make them scum, being similar to what we consider to be scum makes them scum, and that is very hard to differentiate in the middle of the game.

On that note:
Fight me like a forum troll or something... I don't know... Anything?
I've already pointed to where you missed my case on you: as you completely missed them, this comes off as asking for a redo, it's not even deflecting, it's just that you can be bothered to answer my case on you.  Do so.

GriffionDay
-snip-
That's why I am voting GriffionDay, because he has been active but has not drawn a ton of attention.
Your original post was decent by itself as you presented a simi-reasonable (if stupid, more on that in a bit), but by posting that second bit you wreck any pressure your vote could have had, showing that you really don't care where your vote is.  As town, your vote is a weapon as you can use it to levy pressure on people, as scum your vote is a liability as you will be judged on the strength of your case and if you're not able to defend it you will be outed.  Of course if you can show that "Oh that was just a pressure vote" you're safe, so a weak vote is a natural defense for scum.

Especially with buddy buddy GriffionDay over there.
I'm honestly a bit disappointed. 

Part of my scum hunting technique is to engineer situations where scum and town would naturally act differently.  I leave outs in my arguments after a certain amount of pressure to bait scum into grabbing on to them, as town will typically ignore these and try to prove their innocence via explaining their actions as best they can.  Leaving these outs gives me additional information on the type of panic my target is doing: which I hope you can see would be useful. 

What you attacked was not one of these situations.  I made it clear in my post that I saw that the content of what I was saying was borderline buddying, but I felt that this was a rare instance where it would actually help strengthen town by keeping one of our strongest scum-hunters active and engaged rather than standing by and letting her be worn out by your frankly idiotic attack (see above for why it was idiotic).  My question is; are you ACTIVELY trying to weaken the strongest town members (which she has a 7/9 chance of being)?  Because if not; why are you so insistent that everyone play this game exactly as you wish them to, especially those with years more experience than you?

Lenglon:
GriffionDay- Trying to be friends with the IC eh? Well would you explain why? There is no reason truly to support her seeing as she isn't really that pressured here. It seems like you just want a future friend to give you a get out of jail card. I am going to agree with ranger here and say what are the chances of both Lenglon and myself were the last townies to both be scum. I can guarantee you that, that is not the case. That of course would require you to take my word for it but seriously. What are the chances. When I finish my homework I will make a nice beutifully long post about this seeing as that is what everyone wants. Until then Ciao~
Shinigami: Is that a confession?
Shinigami: the reason I voted you was simple. that quote assumed that one of us was scum, and I know it's not me. It looked a lot like a slip to me, an accidental confession of being scum.
Desperate to distance yourself?  I ask because you explain your vote as based on Shinigami assuming one of you must be scum, but the section you quoted simply doesn't assume that at all.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 51