Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4169592 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack
« Reply #3915 on: August 31, 2016, 10:52:16 pm »

Try re-downloading?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: August 31, 2016, 10:58:09 pm »

Try re-downloading?

The Hash came back as correct, but I suppose it can't hurt to try.  I'll do that while I hope for some possible other ideas.

Edit: Well, that seemed to have cured it.  How very weird.  Thanks Japa.  Sorry for the confusion, I'll be over there playing with settings.   :D

Zoopy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: September 06, 2016, 05:13:00 am »

I'm having an odd issue with the latest LNP. I had the one before the last revision and that worked fine, but yesterday I downloaded the latest one (released on August 28) and since then I freeze at the main menu whenever DF starts up. I've tried launching DF manually too, but still just freezes and eventually I have to exit due to it not responding.|

Anyone know what might be causing this?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: September 06, 2016, 05:44:30 am »

I'm having an odd issue with the latest LNP. I had the one before the last revision and that worked fine, but yesterday I downloaded the latest one (released on August 28) and since then I freeze at the main menu whenever DF starts up. I've tried launching DF manually too, but still just freezes and eventually I have to exit due to it not responding.|

Anyone know what might be causing this?

There wasn't really much that changed between -r04 and -r06 that could cause it to start crashing.

These two files changed:

Dwarf Fortress 0.43.03/dfhack_PeridexisErrant.init
Dwarf Fortress 0.43.03/onMapLoad_PeridexisErrant.init

You might try replacing them with the versions from -r04 to see if it fixes it.

Another thing you might try is replacing your RemoteFortressReader plugin with the old version. It is located here:

Dwarf Fortress 0.43.03/hack/plugins/RemoteFortressReader.plug.dll

That all that really changed. You're using the Phoebus graphics pack, right?

nuker22110

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: September 10, 2016, 08:47:46 pm »

for some reason, i cant launch soundsense from within LNP. When i set it to autolaunch or double click soundsense, a cmd window opens and closes immediately. I have to launch soundsense.bat in order to get it to open. Help?

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: September 12, 2016, 06:05:41 pm »

I've been having a lot of trouble with crashes in this version. Does anyone know if this is something specific to this pack or the version of DF that it's running?

qoph

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: September 15, 2016, 08:54:05 pm »

I'm crashing about 5 minutes after starting up the game every time, even if I just sit on the title screen.

Sheila

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: September 19, 2016, 04:21:48 pm »

I usually play for a while before crashing but it's sadly become so commonplace that even seasonal saves don't keep me from losing progress  :(
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 05:41:34 pm by Sheila »

jaylla

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: September 20, 2016, 03:27:29 pm »

I just updated to the newest version r06 and now my graphics don't look right. I've tried switching to other tilesets but the same problem exists. Here's a screenshot of what my game looks like. The whole bottom half of the screen is all messed up. It should be mostly green grass like the top except for a river in the bottom portion. It's not showing any of that. For some reason it's just showing a gray color for a good portion of the screen. http://s21.postimg.org/l4dk57m53/Capture.png

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: September 20, 2016, 03:59:18 pm »

Jaylla, that looks like snow to me, are you straddling biomes temperatures? 

Regarding the crashes: I had some issues too and had to re-download, then it worked.  That included checking the hash and everything coming up aces before I re-downloaded.  I've been using this new version without crashing issues on an 8.1 environment.  You might want to download the current version of Python, though, just in case that's involved.  The other option is to grab vanilla DF from the website, and see if THAT runs.  If you're still having problems, it's not the pack, it's the version and there's issues with it on your machine.

However, without anything to go on regarding the crashes themselves ( rt-click my computer, manage, event viewer, windows logs, check application, system, and forwarded events) it's pretty much impossible to help.  Even then I'm not sure anyone can assist, but at least it's a starting point.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: September 20, 2016, 04:05:37 pm »

If you're still having problems, it's not the pack, it's the version and there's issues with it on your machine.
Or there are issues with that version of DF in general. There are sometimes unfixed random crash bugs in DF, and they're usually more common than random crashes related to the (very little) machine-specific stuff DF does.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: September 20, 2016, 06:36:21 pm »

If you're still having problems, it's not the pack, it's the version and there's issues with it on your machine.
Or there are issues with that version of DF in general. There are sometimes unfixed random crash bugs in DF, and they're usually more common than random crashes related to the (very little) machine-specific stuff DF does.

True, but I'm using the current pack and not seeing issues.  So if the base game has issues, I would start with the assumption that there's a problem with game -> OS, game -> Hardware, or game -> something else installed (Virus scanners come to mind).  But without an error, it's hard as hell to try to help as I'm working off a billion assumptions.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: September 21, 2016, 05:58:52 am »

True, but I'm using the current pack and not seeing issues.  So if the base game has issues, I would start with the assumption that there's a problem with game -> OS, game -> Hardware, or game -> something else installed (Virus scanners come to mind).  But without an error, it's hard as hell to try to help as I'm working off a billion assumptions.
even adding the DF folder to the exceptions list for my antivirus didn't stop the random crashes that occured.
although they might nothing more than running out of memory/RAM or the game trying to do too many things at once.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: September 21, 2016, 10:41:10 am »

Dwarf fortress isn't exactly what comes to mind when I say "memory-leaky", but that hypothesis is easy to disprove with even just task manager.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: September 21, 2016, 02:01:34 pm »

"Doing too many things" won't crash DF, unless those things include behavior that triggers crashes. (Yeah, that sounds silly, but what I mean is that parts of DF that are stable, e.g. calculating liquid flows, won't become unstable when calculating lots of things, particularly because DF's simulation is single-threaded.)

Memory is a more likely issue - if you're using DF 0.43.04 or earlier on Windows, it's limited to 2 GB of memory by default, which people have hit with large worlds/forts/etc.. You should check on DF's memory usage and see if it's approaching that limit. (The limit with a LAA-patched version of DF on Windows, or vanilla DF on other platforms, would be around 4 GB, although it could be a bit closer to 3 GB depending on certain things that I fail to remember.)
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 385