Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4169590 times)

Sheila

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack
« Reply #3930 on: September 21, 2016, 07:02:49 pm »

I'll try redownloading and see what happens, I hope that's all it is  :)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: September 22, 2016, 09:48:57 am »

Any word on the memory mapping progress?  If there's somewhere I can track it that doesn't involve posting here, please let me know  :)  I miss my Dwarf Therapist.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

lethurg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: September 23, 2016, 03:12:45 am »

i just made an account just to ask that question.... and you just beat me to it

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: September 24, 2016, 12:24:05 am »

I have had a problem with mods. I put mods into their folder, I try to install them and it says "merge conflicts" or something like that. Can you tell me what in God's (or Armok's) name I'm doing wrong?

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: September 24, 2016, 03:37:14 am »

You're not doona no anything wrong, it's just that PyLNP isn't smart enough to install that combination of mods. Try using ASCII graphics, or fewer mods :(
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: September 24, 2016, 06:52:37 am »

"Doing too many things" won't crash DF, unless those things include behavior that triggers crashes. (Yeah, that sounds silly, but what I mean is that parts of DF that are stable, e.g. calculating liquid flows, won't become unstable when calculating lots of things, particularly because DF's simulation is single-threaded.)

Memory is a more likely issue - if you're using DF 0.43.04 or earlier on Windows, it's limited to 2 GB of memory by default, which people have hit with large worlds/forts/etc.. You should check on DF's memory usage and see if it's approaching that limit. (The limit with a LAA-patched version of DF on Windows, or vanilla DF on other platforms, would be around 4 GB, although it could be a bit closer to 3 GB depending on certain things that I fail to remember.)
well, then it will be the memory on a small world and maximum 3x3 embarks.
i only got 3GB for my whole system and my OS uses roughly 700MB by itself.
if i open the browser to look at the wiki, it's another 200MB.
so for DF there's at maximum 2GB available.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: September 24, 2016, 08:06:34 am »

My current DF window uses 323 MB (1x1x28z on 17x129), and the highest I've seen on a different, large & fat embark area fort has been 1200. You can of course check what your own fort uses when you get it running.

I think if you can generate a world you can play it? The 2GB ram limit is more of a thing in worldgen.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: September 24, 2016, 09:03:12 am »

My current DF window uses 323 MB (1x1x28z on 17x129), and the highest I've seen on a different, large & fat embark area fort has been 1200. You can of course check what your own fort uses when you get it running.

I think if you can generate a world you can play it? The 2GB ram limit is more of a thing in worldgen.
No. DF keeps generating stuff continuously (webs, all the items you create, etc.). Early in 0.40.X I was struck with hubris and generated a 6*6 embark which worked for a while, before starting to crash randomly. LAA patching (upping the addressable memory from 2 to about 3 GB) allowed it to continue until the inevitable FPS death. I find it unlikely you'd run out of memory with a 4*4 or smaller embark unless the world is quite large and probably has a long history as well.

A small world with a 3*3 embark shouldn't run into memory problems (if your computer has too little physical memory available, i.e. less than what DF wants to use, but still below the address limit the OS will start using virtual memory, i.e. the hard disk, which will slow things down, but that still shouldn't cause crashes).

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: September 24, 2016, 09:44:21 am »

Okay. I am back. And I have been using ASCII and tried one mod. Still merge conflicts.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: September 24, 2016, 11:55:58 am »

Okay. I am back. And I have been using ASCII and tried one mod. Still merge conflicts.
If it's only one real mod, then showing up in yellow is okay.  That means the mod is overwriting a vanilla file.  Lots of mods need to overwrite at least one of those.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3940 on: September 24, 2016, 12:55:30 pm »

The mod I am trying is that DBZ mod.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: September 24, 2016, 12:56:45 pm »

It works.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: September 24, 2016, 02:42:51 pm »

I think I remember PyLNP not liking files in subfolders sometimes. With the Sparking DBZ mod, you might need to move the /data/speech/dragonball/ folder manually into your /Dwarf Fortress/data/speech/ folder.

easykiln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: September 24, 2016, 06:05:57 pm »

Anything interesting in dev with the pack rn?

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: September 24, 2016, 07:01:44 pm »

Could anyone make a list of what major mods are compatible with the LNP. Like real major.
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 385