Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 166

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK☼ (44.12) - DF2019 Updated 24th Nov 2021  (Read 931229 times)

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ (43.03) - DF2016 - Newest version! - Updated 9th Dec
« Reply #1800 on: March 01, 2017, 12:05:25 pm »

Huh. Meph's patreon still seems to be going during his absence.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1801 on: March 01, 2017, 12:13:25 pm »

Why wouldn't it?

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: March 01, 2017, 12:45:55 pm »

So how is called this cool feature where you can set a "light" in df hack to make it simulate day/night cycle?
And you would have to build candles or something to see during night.

I forgot how itīs called and cannot find it.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: March 01, 2017, 01:04:31 pm »

Why wouldn't it?
I thought me might have paused it given that the whole promise of the patreon was weekly updates.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1804 on: March 01, 2017, 01:05:51 pm »

So how is called this cool feature where you can set a "light" in df hack to make it simulate day/night cycle?

You mean Rendermax? I don't know if it works well in the current version.

Why wouldn't it?
I thought me might have paused it given that the whole promise of the patreon was weekly updates.
I suppose. I don't mind donating a little while he's away personally but you are ofc free to pause your own contribution. I hope he enjoys a beer or two on me while he's cycling.

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: March 01, 2017, 01:47:16 pm »

You mean Rendermax? I don't know if it works well in the current version.

Hmm it is packed in the current version but I have to set Print Mode to STANDARD which ruins the graphics of the game as all the text/tiles appear distorted. (I am using Phoebus)

I am not sure if this is because it is not made for the current version or I am doing something wrong.

Kars

• Bay Watcher
  • registered flex offender
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: March 03, 2017, 05:13:30 am »

Where exactly are the prisoners? I heard a rumor of a white tigerman abducting an elf, but when I went to the fortress, they were nowhere to be seen. This has happened multiple times. Do they just not show up?
🇮🇹 dall'italia con amore🇮🇹

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: March 03, 2017, 03:04:25 pm »

So Iīve set the print mode to STANDARD and my graphics are distorted.

The whole game works fine UNTIL I decide to load the game and the moment certain raw file is loaded it is disorted.
So playing arena/world-gen/playing the game distorts the graphics and it stays that even in menu.

HEre is how it looks: https://i.gyazo.com/8b8c17177456a2acb2c622b3eddeda1d.png

What could cause this?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: March 03, 2017, 03:17:35 pm »

Have you tried resizing the window? Just maximizing then restoring, and resizing at all, even if you resize it back.

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: March 03, 2017, 03:18:02 pm »

Yes, nothing works

demol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: March 04, 2017, 02:26:07 am »

There are some heavy problems in _latest_ version. Sum of my feedback:

1. ctd when generating world or at world  saving if
a) more than 4-6 races activated
b) more then  medium world size, and small civs and location places
c) if history longness is "too much", earlest ctd was on 26th year but with few races, civs and locations at medium worldsize it is possible to generate 250 year history but not much more.

2. when I load my saved game it is roughtly 30% chance of ctd
3. when I resize window _AFTER_ saved game is loaded I always have an instant ctd
4. there is also a most frustrating random ctd on game saving
5. If I run DF from launcher for second time in a row I always see a gamebraking grafic promlems from distortion mentioned just above to complete absence of grafic titles. So I have to rerun launcher after exiting DF.

All of that is NOT a '2gb memory' problem  because of
a) large excess of memory
b) x64 system
c) all executables are memory adress patched
d) when I monitor memory usage DF never run above 1.8gb even just before ctd.

And I obtain a strong personal opinion that appeared critical error is somewhere in the launcher, but it is only an opinion.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 02:28:26 am by demol »

StevedaG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: March 04, 2017, 04:15:49 am »

when did Meph say will come back?

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: March 04, 2017, 05:05:44 am »

let me address your issue point by point.

There are some heavy problems in _latest_ version. Sum of my feedback:

1. ctd when generating world or at world  saving if
a) more than 4-6 races activated
b) more then  medium world size, and small civs and location places
c) if history longness is "too much", earlest ctd was on 26th year but with few races, civs and locations at medium worldsize it is possible to generate 250 year history but not much more.
Sounds like the same problem everyone has when operating current version of MWDF.  current bugfix run LAA from the dwarf launcher.  fixes it for just about everyone.  I use it.   I can generate 1000 year old worlds large size with 20 civs and 10-15 races, etc.  without it I crash just like you, and I have an ancient system too.

2. when I load my saved game it is roughtly 30% chance of ctd
3. when I resize window _AFTER_ saved game is loaded I always have an instant ctd
yep another sign that you aren't using LAA.  But if you do have a video card check to see if you have play.tv... for some that caused a lot of issues.
4. there is also a most frustrating random ctd on game saving
DF in the first place is unstable, and the more you add in the higher chance you will crash during high end operations, such as game saves.
5. If I run DF from launcher for second time in a row I always see a gamebraking grafic promlems from distortion mentioned just above to complete absence of grafic titles. So I have to rerun launcher after exiting DF.
yeah DF does not like you to have 2 games running simultaneous especially versions with as many things added in as MWDF.

All of that is NOT a '2gb memory' problem  because of
a) large excess of memory
The game is written old school, it doesn't care how much memory you have.
b) x64 system
we are running the 32x version of DF, it doesn't care if your system is 64x.
c) all executables are memory adress patched
so you actually used LAA on all the executables?  you only have to do that for dwarffortress.exe
d) when I monitor memory usage DF never run above 1.8gb even just before ctd.
and if it ever showed you higher than that then I would assume your system had a massive fail-safe error as it is suppose to shutdown apps that exceed their set limits, before they exceed them.  in other words windows will never tell you when it makes the leap to 2gb, as it would get shutdown prior to that by windows.
And I obtain a strong personal opinion that appeared critical error is somewhere in the launcher, but it is only an opinion.
the MWDF launcher really doesn't do much of anything other then switch tags in the raws and move graphic files back and forth from the graphic folders to the MW graphic repository folder.  Most likely the primary source of memory issues is the 32x32 graphics sets.  I hate to say it, but it was the primary thing added in the last 2 versions and we have had these major issues since then... switching to smaller sets wont matter as all the sprites were updated to the 32x32 graphic sets.  the game handles almost all the graphics in house not out on a video card, causing massive cpu loads and memory loads.  it doesn't take much for that to spike it over the 2GB mark.  an arriving caravan, a new batch of critters, a raid, saving, loading, etc. will cause spikes.  if it spikes for even 1 tick, windows will freeze and shut it down.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: March 04, 2017, 11:13:21 am »

Shouldn't LAA allow you to use more than 2 Gb of RAM? I was under the impression that that was the reason it actually fixed the crashes... Anyway I have to ask: why would you use the launcher when you don't have to modify things to generate a new world? I mean... it's basically useless and it is another heavy process for your pc to keep running. You basically hate your machine :P (btw i noticed an increase in crashes, too when i leave it open. Could it be conflicting with DF in any way? Like, for example, with writing autorizations?)
For the record i agree on the 32x32 tileset being a source of problems but that's not all of it for sure. I wanted to create a thread to keep track of the bugs (like the one with bugfixes) but without mantainance it would just be a endless repetition of the same questions like the main thread and right now I don't have time to update regularly the OP. If anyone feels up to it I think it would be great. It would make things easier for Meph too, I think.
when did Meph say will come back?
He didn't say

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: March 04, 2017, 11:25:53 am »

The launcher is hardly a "heavy process" - it uses about 100 MB RAM and no appreciable amount of CPU time.  The launcher only does anything with the files when you change a setting, so unless you're trying to change settings while the game is running, that won't cause problems.

Large Address aware allows a 32-bit program to use up to 4 GB of RAM instead of the normal 2 GB limit.  Masterwork already tends to skirt the edge of that 2 GB limit, so it fixes a lot of the crashes.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 166