Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 202144 times)

Snonker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #2355 on: April 11, 2014, 06:00:23 am »

All of my dwarfs are slowly, but surely, going insane. I think it is something to do with harder mining, but how do I stop it?

Jiamil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: April 11, 2014, 08:23:53 am »

All of my dwarfs are slowly, but surely, going insane. I think it is something to do with harder mining, but how do I stop it?

Try to give your dwarves own furnished rooms, make a dining hall worth a dwarven kingdom and make sure you got lavish meals and a lot of different booze, that's the best prevention for your population going insane because of bad thoughts.

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: April 11, 2014, 09:44:44 am »

Also giving them jobs suitable for their skills makes them happy at work. Statue gardens and waterfalls work as well. And lavish meals can be made out of even one ingredient, I got plump helmet man tissue omelets, bisque, roast, fettuccini and plump helmet man wine :D. Half the fort always flocks to the trade depot every time a caravan brings new types of booze but I've yet to get the "tired of drinking the same old booze lately", since I occasionally also get some plant booze whenever my idle farmers actually bother to make it :D.

Hey, anyone got any idea why my ironclad badgerdogs give birth to pups that when grown up are ironclad? :D

Cheers

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: April 11, 2014, 01:28:27 pm »

Also giving them jobs suitable for their skills makes them happy at work. Statue gardens and waterfalls work as well. And lavish meals can be made out of even one ingredient, I got plump helmet man tissue omelets, bisque, roast, fettuccini and plump helmet man wine :D. Half the fort always flocks to the trade depot every time a caravan brings new types of booze but I've yet to get the "tired of drinking the same old booze lately", since I occasionally also get some plant booze whenever my idle farmers actually bother to make it :D.

Hey, anyone got any idea why my ironclad badgerdogs give birth to pups that when grown up are ironclad? :D

Cheers

Lavish meals don't give good thoughts, eating a favorite food does. The only benefit to lavish meals is that their's a x4 chance that a favorite food will be included.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: April 12, 2014, 03:21:27 am »

Cheers

Lavish meals don't give good thoughts, eating a favorite food does. The only benefit to lavish meals is that their's a x4 chance that a favorite food will be included.
True. I gave up fulfilling their food preference because they tend to love what they never ate, e.g. named meat, named cheese, juice, tea, or something too expensive e.g. youth potion.

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: April 12, 2014, 01:02:28 pm »

Cheers

Hmm, weird, ever since I got lavish meals going all my dwarfs have "ate a legendary meal lately" bonus...can't really double check that since I do have quite a bit of randomness in my food piles due to some caravan imports...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2361 on: April 12, 2014, 04:41:58 pm »

I always thought its the value of the meal. lavish meals = higher value = better thoughts.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: April 14, 2014, 10:21:53 pm »

So I've played several games of vanilla dwarf fortress, and I've been at a game of Masterwork fortress (as the dwarves) for about a week now, winter of the second year.

I can't get my military to train. As far as I can tell I've done what I always do in vanilla when I'm trying to start an army; I took a small batch of male dwarves with low-value civilian skills and gave them all low grade equipment (bone/leather armor, imported metal weapons), then stuck a weapon rack/armor stand out in the front yard and assigned that squad to train there. Then, on the military screen, I set my beginner squad to active/train.

For some reason, my little squad will respond to station/kill orders, but they won't do like I've got troops doing in vanilla where they stand around the designated barrack area and "train" together perpetually. They just show "no job."

Oh, and I did deactivate all civilian labors on the soldiers.

Someone, please help. I'm having lots of thieves come after me and I'm worried the first siege might pop up soon.

Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Three Blind Mice running on a keyboard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: April 15, 2014, 08:12:12 am »

JAK, did you try adding the squad to the appropriate Alert status in the military screen? (m,a)
RegalDoom! The Little Warlock Who Could!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=137494.0

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: April 15, 2014, 09:45:52 am »

JAK, did you try adding the squad to the appropriate Alert status in the military screen? (m,a)

Yes, but just the default Active/Training. I didn't need anything fancier at the time. I hope this isn't a bug; I really like this mod and I hope some silly bug about army man boot camp doesn't poke a big hole in the playability.

Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: April 15, 2014, 09:55:50 am »

Yes, but just the default Active/Training. I didn't need anything fancier at the time. I hope this isn't a bug; I really like this mod and I hope some silly bug about army man boot camp doesn't poke a big hole in the playability.

Stupid question, but the Active/Training alert is the one selected, while the squads are active in it at the same time, and have put the schedule down to the appropriate number of dwarves, as relevant to the squad, yes?

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: April 15, 2014, 06:16:06 pm »

Yes, of course. I feel like I've done all the things I used to do in vanilla DF.

The only thing I can think of is that I installed a version of MDF called Gold Edition because Meph's normal link to the download was compressed in a format I couldn't open.

Do I have to set the minimum squad members training on the schedule menu to the exact number of dwarves in the squad? 10 is the default, and I Was wondering if that might be the default.

Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: April 15, 2014, 06:25:36 pm »

I usually do less, as it's the minimum number that have to be present to train.

CptCrunchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: April 15, 2014, 07:12:02 pm »

JAK, which version are you playing? There was a bug in 4i that did exactly what you're describing, but it's fixed in 4j
Likes nether horror for their ability to turn people into eldritch horrors. Seriously, what is wrong with that dwarf.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: April 16, 2014, 04:29:14 am »

Quick question, don't know if it has been asked before, but is there a way to change standardized bone and leather back to their unique forms? I like flavor in my games.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 165