Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 196568 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #2370 on: April 16, 2014, 06:39:14 am »

Quick question, don't know if it has been asked before, but is there a way to change standardized bone and leather back to their unique forms? I like flavor in my games.
Currently not. It would muck up too many reactions with the leather upgrade system.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: April 16, 2014, 09:34:35 pm »

JAK, which version are you playing? There was a bug in 4i that did exactly what you're describing, but it's fixed in 4j

I don't know; I downloaded it from a place other than Meph's 'official' download page because I needed the file to be compressed in a format I could open. I found this page https://github.com/pjf/masterwork-dwarf-fortress and downloaded the "gold" option.

Anyway, I solved the issue; they won't train unless they have all the equipment assigned to them in the Equip screen. Thanks.

Hotawotwot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: April 17, 2014, 10:34:53 am »

What are broodlings/bloodlings?

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: April 17, 2014, 08:25:24 pm »

It seems I am indeed playing version 4i. I had to start another fortress, and now I can't get new recruits to start training. Anyone have a workaround?

Dorenabel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: April 17, 2014, 10:37:50 pm »

It seems I am indeed playing version 4i. I had to start another fortress, and now I can't get new recruits to start training. Anyone have a workaround?

a) Weapon skill issues: Order them to station in some room, close doors, drop disarmed prisoners or wild animals on them until they have 4+ in weapon skills. (2 in weapon skill probably enough, but in one of my latest games I had to train one stubborn recruit up to 9 or so because he arrived with 8 in sword skill and considered himself swordorc, whole squad wasn't training for years until he got 9 in spear and understood that he is spearorc and actually ready to train, as soon as it happened whole squad moved to train in barracks). If surrounding area not extremly hostile just kill wildlife with military, priority to get weapon skills 4+ for weakest links. Skill levels in game and therapist different.
b) Bodysize: - if at least one recruit don't have bodysize large enough to use weapon assigned to him (or weapon/shield combo), he isn't ready to train and whole squad aren't training. Sometime they even equip uniform properly - but if he running away from enemies while he have station order on top of them -> he can't use gear he carrying around. Even if Therapist told you that he can. If bodysize fine but he running away - check his wounds. It's hard to use weapons without hands.
c) Cheatmode: Station them in danger room to get some weapon proficiency. Never abuse danger room. Danger room available only to dwarfs and kobolds.
d) Set squad to active/training schedule, give them barracks and assign barracks for squad training if nothing from above helped.
e) If even this didn't helped -> add barracks to burrow to which everyone assigned, watch them moving in to train, remove barracks from burrow, now it will be fine. Work only if everything else fine and you use burrow to restrict civilian movement on map. Happens once per 100 games so shouldn't be your case.
f) Last one never work so I had to hide it in spoiler.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: April 18, 2014, 07:06:00 am »

Someone also mentioned in the other thread that they only started training once they equipped all their assigned gear. This aspect could be tangentially related to the bodysize problem (or rather the bodysize problem is falls under this "can't equip assigned equipment" aspect).

I can't verify that 100% because I don't assign specific gear to dwarves, I mostly leave them to the default "metal gear" uniform and tweak the weapons, which works fine for me because AFAIK they just grab whatever becomes available (prioritizing 1 to 10 slots of squad 1, then 1 to 10 of squad 2 etc) rather than expecting some specific piece of gear being for them.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: April 21, 2014, 01:01:14 am »

A stupid question. How to get orichalcum as I'm dwarves? Now I dig and smelt any type of ores in the map and order all types of ores from caravans.

Delta_02_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: April 21, 2014, 03:36:22 am »

There is a 1% chance to get one bar if you smelt unprocessed ore and a chance of 2% of you smelt processed ores.

As far as I know, that is the only way to get it, at least I haven't found any other.

EDIT: Does anybody know why my magic dwarf, does not equip the magic missiles? He has a staff, a quiver and the magic missiles as ammunition for the squad just like a normal military squad. But somehow he wont pick them up, he does not even try. :(
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 03:35:06 pm by Delta_02_Cat »

dig_for_!!sparklies!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: April 22, 2014, 07:38:32 pm »

Question about the soap industry.

Namely, I can't get it to work for me. I have lye, rock nut oil and paste (or at least the oil you can screw press directly from quarry bushes) but the chemistry workshop doesn't show any of the "make soap" reactions as able to be done right now. Since I don't know if the directly-from-quarry-bushes type of oil works for soap, I've been experimenting with the 'long' method as described in vanilla df (process at farmer's workshop, grind into paste at quern, turn into oil at screw press). But while I have rock nut paste, I can't get tell the screw press to "make liquid from paste" (the option's listed there, but it's red instead of white).

Could it be a lack of jugs? Barrels? I'm so confused.

CptCrunchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: April 22, 2014, 07:47:53 pm »

It's probably a lack of barrels.  Try ordering the job done from the manager screen, and see which reagent stops the job from being completed
Likes nether horror for their ability to turn people into eldritch horrors. Seriously, what is wrong with that dwarf.

dig_for_!!sparklies!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: April 22, 2014, 10:30:21 pm »

I ordered the job from the manager's screen, and it's working. Actually from what I can tell from my experimenting, the oil that comes from "press liquid from paste" works, where the "press oil [directly] from quarry bushes" doesn't. I wondered at one point if that had something to do with the former resulting in a jug of oil, rather than a barrel of oil. Unless I'm totally wrong about that. :p

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: April 22, 2014, 11:43:48 pm »

So I upgraded to 4j and have been playing in a mixed desert/grassland area. I have a four year fortress worth about 1.2 million dorf bucks, have had 3 ambushes, a vampire, a necromancer infiltrator, and Kobold as a werescorpion, but NO sieges at all. Is this normal? I have had two frost giant thieves appear, along with thieves from everyone excepts warlocks and automatons, but no one has sieged me and no megabeasts have appeared. Is this normal?

Is gunpowder used in the production of bullets or do rifledwarves carry both items separately, mixing them when they prepare to fire?

Why do my war animals rush inside when I issue the civilian alert? I Suspect there is no workaround to this, but it'd be awesome if i future versions this didn't happen. My first goblin ambush, all of my war mammoths and mastodons (yes, I had both) ran inside with the civies.

In the masterwork settings control panel, what is it talking about when, under the civilizations tab, it asks for a value for "Skills"?

By the way, I LOVE that I can now starve a vampire by locking him in a pit. His miasma cloud was like...justice fumes

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: April 23, 2014, 12:16:53 am »

Is gunpowder used in the production of bullets or do rifledwarves carry both items separately, mixing them when they prepare to fire?

Why do my war animals rush inside when I issue the civilian alert? I Suspect there is no workaround to this, but it'd be awesome if i future versions this didn't happen. My first goblin ambush, all of my war mammoths and mastodons (yes, I had both) ran inside with the civies.

In the masterwork settings control panel, what is it talking about when, under the civilizations tab, it asks for a value for "Skills"?
the gunpowder is used in the reactions.

are your war animals assigned to any soldiers?unless they are assigned to a soldier i think they are considered civilians.

the skill column allows those races to be born with combat skills of that lvl
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: April 24, 2014, 01:01:41 pm »

Yes, they're assigned to soldiers; the mammoths and mastodons (and everything else) go and stand around the barracks with the troops until I change the civilian alert level, after which they run to the CIV alert Burrow. I tested this three times.

Delta_02_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: April 26, 2014, 10:07:05 am »

How exactly does the reaction "Invite Immigration for 2000 Sovereigns" in the embassy work?

I tried it several times, each try a few seasons later, but nothing happened :(

I somehow get the standard dwarven caravan but no migrations waves, and the first two waves were only 5 dwarfs :/ Which leaves me with around 12 dwarfs after 5 years.
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 165