Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 196567 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #2385 on: April 26, 2014, 10:31:57 am »

That means your civ is dead. The reaction triggers a migrant wave, but since your home civ died out, they cant send anyone. Try the townportal (late game tech) that can spawn new dwarves directly.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Delta_02_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: April 26, 2014, 10:43:19 am »

But I still get the yearly dwarven caravan with a outpost liaison, shouldn't this mean that my civ is still alive?
But well I will try the townportal :) Thank you Meph!

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: April 26, 2014, 12:48:24 pm »

Does the spawned migrant wave follow the usual migrant rules of population cap, deaths, and wealth reported by the liason?

Steforian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: April 26, 2014, 02:25:56 pm »

Does anyone know how to make Volcanic Bars? The wiki says its mithril , steel, and obsidian. The manual says its steel, mithril, slade, and obsidian. Either way i cant find the reaction in the volcanic foundry, or any other magma type workshop (I built them all). And if slade is needed, where can i find some besides hell?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2389 on: April 26, 2014, 03:08:04 pm »

No slade is needed, and you make items in the volcanic foundry directly, you dont make the bars themselves.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: April 26, 2014, 11:28:17 pm »

so what exactly are Broodlings for?

I did some searching but after all that the best guess is that maybe they spawn dwarves.....?

Or maybe that was part of the Zerg mod I found that happens to have units called Broodlings..........
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: April 27, 2014, 07:23:04 pm »

I can't find any reference data on the stats for weapons and armor made from glass (all kinds) or gems. I keep finding foreign weapons made of "ebony" and "Ashlander" glass, and from how high they show up on the list of military "Specific Equipment" screen I'm inclined to think they're steel grade.

But what about native-made glass and gem weapons/armor? I can't find anything like the shear strength for them anywhere.

rustyshack1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: April 27, 2014, 10:24:31 pm »

Recently got a Guardian of Armok from a chest/relic that my dwarves found. Super friggin' useful that guy. Helped me out with an entire platoon of goblins. I was wondering though, is there any way to heal/repair the Guardian? Doesn't seem like a medical dwarf would cut it in this regard, but I wasn't sure.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: April 28, 2014, 04:53:05 am »

I can't find any reference data on the stats for weapons and armor made from glass (all kinds) or gems. I keep finding foreign weapons made of "ebony" and "Ashlander" glass, and from how high they show up on the list of military "Specific Equipment" screen I'm inclined to think they're steel grade.

But what about native-made glass and gem weapons/armor? I can't find anything like the shear strength for them anywhere.

Vanilla glass is hardcoded but the raws were extracted from memory and are available on the wiki. However, MDF adds a special kind of glass that's used for weapons and armor made at the glassforge, defined as GLASS_[GREEN|CLEAR|CRYSTAL]_WAR in inorganic_stone_mineral.txt. They differ from the vanilla values; green is pretty much iron-grade with all values made about 20% worse, clear is almost identical to iron (slightly higher MAX_EDGE), crystal is to steel as green is to iron (steel but 20% worse across the board).

Gem weapons (regardless of the actual gems used; a gem weapon made from diamond is no different from a gem weapon made from a green glass gem) use material GEMTIP which is found in zinorganic_masterwork.txt. I'm not 100% sure how it compares to metals but I think they're sharper; I remember Meph saying he uses those himself until it gets some of more of the advanced tech metals going.

Edit: So I completely didn't even read your post because I thought you were wondering about the new dwarf stuff moreso than the other glasses. Ashland and Ebony are orc stuff and found in inorganic_z_orcfort.txt (I only found this by searching the directory for "ebony" with windows explorer, then searching file contents).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, the order of anything in the game is defined purely by the raws, nothing is sorted by how effective something is in terms of gameplay or function.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 05:01:24 am by Niveras »

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: April 29, 2014, 04:19:42 pm »

Under what circumstances does a lifemancer resurrect a recently deceased dwarf? I have my cleric healer in the same room with the body of a dwarf who died after going insane, nothing's happening.... the manual states that lifemancers can bring back to life recently killed people.

Nevermind I just had to unforbid the body and cancel the station order for the cleric healer, I got my chandler back! Yay
Cheers
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 04:21:18 pm by MerkerBenson »

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: April 29, 2014, 04:49:53 pm »

What determines a mages range/skill with firebolts? Do I need to have my mages do archery training for them to be effective? Also, I can't get them to equip the magic missiles, even though I've selected the "missiles" ammo type in the military menu. Is that the right type?
I'm guessing I need to train my earthmage as any normal military dwarf...however, he still doesn't have his familiar, even though I've assigned him to train a changeling. I get the message several times "has transformed a sprite into a familiar" but only on the broodling breeder I have in the dining hall, not the changeling... The cleric healer got his unicorn on the first pass by a changeling...

Thelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: May 01, 2014, 05:46:07 am »

so what exactly are Broodlings for?

I did some searching but after all that the best guess is that maybe they spawn dwarves.....?

Or maybe that was part of the Zerg mod I found that happens to have units called Broodlings..........

I would also like to know about broodlings, I can't figure out what are they used for.  :o

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2397 on: May 01, 2014, 10:31:17 am »

Nothing. They shouldnt even be there, they are leftovers from tests for Warlock mode. Sorry. They are fast breeding changelings, but no one can do anything with them atm.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: May 01, 2014, 03:27:18 pm »

Nothing. They shouldnt even be there, they are leftovers from tests for Warlock mode. Sorry. They are fast breeding changelings, but no one can do anything with them atm.

Actually there is something, however unuseful it is, that can be done with them. Something the beloved cat swarm is used for: Distractions for the enemy. a cluster of broodlings in a hole should be just enough to make the enemy gleefully walk into a giant cave in trap.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: May 01, 2014, 05:06:06 pm »

So another question--this time about melting.

I assume that the craft/melt ratios were left the same as vanilla? Or were they all raised/lowered to a different value? Any table anywhere for the new stuff?

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Melt_item

Didn't see anything on the wiki, wasn't sure where else to look.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 165