Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201336 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1035 on: September 26, 2013, 11:13:36 pm »

Are the staffs the warlocks drop the same sort of staffs that my own mages use, or at least using the same skill? I'm not able to make my own yet (largely because of an utter lack of platinum, so relying on melting what scraps I can find), so curious as to whether I can get the mages who've migrated in a head start on their training.

I noticed in the weapons list in the equip screen that there are two staff entries, one foreign. Is the foreign one the warlock ones, and the non-foreign the ones my mages would use?

That's my guess. the staves made in the arcane schools appear to be proper ranged weapons of a sort while the ones the warlocks bring are really just metal beating implements to my knowlege, probably for balance reasons. On the upside they tend to bring alot of staves made of really dense materials so if you need something blunt to hit people with they're handy.

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: September 27, 2013, 01:58:05 am »

Is welded mithril really better for armor than mithril? Based on the stats that wiki describes as "higher is better", the regular mithril seems more durable in theory.

If you compare the mithril and it's welded variant in inorganic_stone_mineral, you'll see a roughly a ten percent improvement (eyeballed it) in almost all attributes,  at the cost of a trivial amount of weight. Plain mithril is by no means more 'durable'

cainiao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: September 27, 2013, 02:31:53 am »

Is welded mithril really better for armor than mithril? Based on the stats that wiki describes as "higher is better", the regular mithril seems more durable in theory.

If you compare the mithril and it's welded variant in inorganic_stone_mineral, you'll see a roughly a ten percent improvement (eyeballed it) in almost all attributes,  at the cost of a trivial amount of weight. Plain mithril is by no means more 'durable'

Welded mithril have higher yield & fracture = better for weapon.
Mithril have lower elasticity =  deform less when stress is applied = better armor.

Szarrukin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: September 27, 2013, 10:23:26 am »

So, tell me if I get it right - to build a crucible I need to do the research (done), and create blueprint. To create blueprint I need ink (get) and (library goods)tools (what are they?). Right?

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: September 27, 2013, 10:37:33 am »

Just do the research. That gives you a blueprint each time the process reaches compete success. You can get multiple blueprints this way or by copying one which requires paper and ink.

Srial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: September 27, 2013, 10:47:44 am »

I'm not able to make my own yet (largely because of an utter lack of platinum, so relying on melting what scraps I can find), so curious as to whether I can get the mages who've migrated in a head start on their training.

Best way I've found to get platinum

Get a couple apostles of armok.  (requires building a monestary)
Build two shrines of armok.
Set 'pray for soft metal' on repeat.  That has a chance to give you gold, silver or platinum.   Two highly skilled priests non stop praying for soft metal can get you something like 10 platinum bars a month.  (I guestimate, I didn't watch them too carefully, just set them to pray and forgot about them for a while then looked and realized I had 30 bars in my stocks after approximately a season.)  More apostles/shrines will give you more.

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: September 27, 2013, 11:25:09 am »

So, tell me if I get it right - to build a crucible I need to do the research (done), and create blueprint. To create blueprint I need ink (get) and (library goods)tools (what are they?). Right?

Depends on if you're using 3h or 3i. In 3h, you need both a blueprint (from the architect's) and the Rare Science Discovery (from the researcher's). In 3i, you only need the Rare Science Discovery. And the other building components, of course.
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: September 27, 2013, 03:14:33 pm »

then exclude (library goods) and (books) masterpiece.  If there's no stockpile, then they will stay where they are.

Make a stockpile to move them out of the scriptorium that only accepts items from its links, of which it is only linked to the scriptorium.  Once a dwarf picks it up to go study, it will stay in that study hall (I forgot their names).

Also link it to your archeologist and the Storage thing-a-ma-jig.

That could work :)

What is "(library goods) page" used for, anyway? I have over 1600 of them from somewhere.
I'm no expert on the library system, but it looks like those are produced when you study a book. They should be stored in a textbook.

Check your Scriptorium and run the Store a full notebook (to clean up) reaction to get rid of them.  If they are not stored in a textbook (due to dumping) then you should be able to do an autodump-destroy on them (I think that's the DFHack command.)  At least you'll still have your textbooks ready for the next reaction that needs them. :)

I don't see any other reaction that uses them, so they are meant to be destroyed.

Hmm the Store reaction appears red, and the reagents are:
  • B-containing (library goods) notebook
  • Page

I hope id doesn't want me to make 1600 notebooks to destroy the pages  ???

Turns out that the "Store a full notebook" actually destroys notebooks  ???
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: September 28, 2013, 07:43:40 am »

At the Embassy, what does calling a Tradefair do?

Do the Orcs and Goblins have anything worth trading for?

eloidin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: September 28, 2013, 10:09:59 am »

Hey guys,

I'm trying to let my dwarfs research some stuff and i end up with "(researcher supplies) detailed report" in my stockpiles. What is this used for?
Do the armor stands and weapon racks even work? i notice my dwarfs just tossing the equip on the ground when they go on leave from the militia? or should i just make a stockpile for their equipment and be done with it?

Oh and this might be terribly nubish of me, but its a bit unclear to me what happens when i order my blacksmith to create a mail gauntlet. Does the man make one gauntlet as the name of the action seems to indicate? and does he keep track wether to make a left or right one himself? or does he actually makes two (left and right)? Same goes for boots but i suppose it will work the same as with gloves.
Also i read alot about armor stacking, it seemed to be possible to let your dwarfs wear a helm, mail hood, crown and leather hood? Is this correct and is it as awesomely overpowered as i think it will be?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 10:22:42 am by eloidin »

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: September 28, 2013, 10:20:21 am »

from my understanding armor and weapon stands do nothing in regards to holding equipment, only creating a training area for militia as far as i know
but dwarven research makes the reports and later continues the research which after 3-5 times of researching you get a chance at a finished result and/or a random research... give them time and it will get around
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

eloidin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: September 28, 2013, 10:24:09 am »

from my understanding armor and weapon stands do nothing in regards to holding equipment, only creating a training area for militia as far as i know
but dwarven research makes the reports and later continues the research which after 3-5 times of researching you get a chance at a finished result and/or a random research... give them time and it will get around

Ah ok great, so just keep up the research spam. Do you guys assign one guy to research only? or does every field of research require another labor, as in forging research requires a metalsmith and magic research a sorcerer? or can i just level one researcher?

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: September 28, 2013, 10:30:53 am »

i usually leave 1 to do research alone and don't set it to repeat, it does a few reactions in a row.  each research has a few steps, the rockforge has 3 steps, ingredients -> research reaction 1 -> reaction 2 -> reaction 3 -> blueprint
but it has a chance to fail the higher the steps but there's also a chance to come up with something else as well, research rockforge and get magic lol
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Pascale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: September 28, 2013, 10:40:35 am »

Do the armor stands and weapon racks even work?

I want to say that they do, there's some sort of vanilla DF setting you have to toggle for them. Use for squad/individual storage, something to that effect.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: September 28, 2013, 11:36:52 am »

Hey guys,

I'm trying to let my dwarfs research some stuff and i end up with "(researcher supplies) detailed report" in my stockpiles. What is this used for?
Do the armor stands and weapon racks even work? i notice my dwarfs just tossing the equip on the ground when they go on leave from the militia? or should i just make a stockpile for their equipment and be done with it?

Oh and this might be terribly nubish of me, but its a bit unclear to me what happens when i order my blacksmith to create a mail gauntlet. Does the man make one gauntlet as the name of the action seems to indicate? and does he keep track wether to make a left or right one himself? or does he actually makes two (left and right)? Same goes for boots but i suppose it will work the same as with gloves.
Also i read alot about armor stacking, it seemed to be possible to let your dwarfs wear a helm, mail hood, crown and leather hood? Is this correct and is it as awesomely overpowered as i think it will be?

I would suggest playing vanilla Dwarf Fortress first, this mod is hard to figure out even with some experience in the game.

Armor and weapon stands are just decorations, and are used to designate barracks. Storing any equipment on them (or in barracks) currently doesn't work.

"Make gauntlet" reaction makes a pair of gauntlets out of a single bar. Similarly to "Make rock crafts", that makes three random crafts. Making a military uniform with only one entry for "Gauntlet", also makes a soldier equip a pair of them and not just one.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 165