Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201317 times)

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #990 on: September 23, 2013, 08:25:27 pm »

then exclude (library goods) and (books) masterpiece.  If there's no stockpile, then they will stay where they are.

Make a stockpile to move them out of the scriptorium that only accepts items from its links, of which it is only linked to the scriptorium.  Once a dwarf picks it up to go study, it will stay in that study hall (I forgot their names).

Also link it to your archeologist and the Storage thing-a-ma-jig.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: September 24, 2013, 09:12:26 am »

then exclude (library goods) and (books) masterpiece.  If there's no stockpile, then they will stay where they are.

Make a stockpile to move them out of the scriptorium that only accepts items from its links, of which it is only linked to the scriptorium.  Once a dwarf picks it up to go study, it will stay in that study hall (I forgot their names).

That could work :)

What is "(library goods) page" used for, anyway? I have over 1600 of them from somewhere.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: September 24, 2013, 10:31:40 am »

That could work :)

What is "(library goods) page" used for, anyway? I have over 1600 of them from somewhere.
I'm no expert on the library system, but it looks like those are produced when you study a book. They should be stored in a textbook.

Check your Scriptorium and run the Store a full notebook (to clean up) reaction to get rid of them.  If they are not stored in a textbook (due to dumping) then you should be able to do an autodump-destroy on them (I think that's the DFHack command.)  At least you'll still have your textbooks ready for the next reaction that needs them. :)

I don't see any other reaction that uses them, so they are meant to be destroyed.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: September 24, 2013, 11:13:38 am »

Not to start a huge debate, but does anyone have any SCIENCE! on using the pattern metals on armor?  I was thinking pattern wolfram on the torso and helm (maybe shield) to protect against hard strikes that break skulls and ribs and then pattern colbalt on the limbs to protect them from getting sliced off.  Is there any ideal blend of metal types to armor spots?  I remember discussion on putting good leather clothing under the metal atleast.

I ask because I have a fair supply of both patternwelds and as my steel production is slowed due to magma flooding my marble mine. With the edge/blunt trade-off of these two metals, it makes an interesting upgrade choice from steel that Id usually use.
My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod

eloidin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: September 24, 2013, 11:50:43 am »

So i just started playing with the Masterwork mod, great work man! some awesome stuff you did there.

But, and this is mighty nub of me i know, i have a problem that is as frustrating as it is silly.
There dont seem to be cats in the game anymore, ok cool. However now my foodstores are getting raided by great partys of vermin i just cant seem to eradicate?
Dogs wont respond to them, scarecrow does not seem to scare them and since they are vermin i cant kill them with the militia.

I guess the question is how to deal with vermin in the foodstores now cats are gone?

Crunkgnarly

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: September 24, 2013, 11:57:51 am »

moleweasels will sort out your vermin problem.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: September 24, 2013, 12:02:24 pm »

So i just started playing with the Masterwork mod, great work man! some awesome stuff you did there.

But, and this is mighty nub of me i know, i have a problem that is as frustrating as it is silly.
There dont seem to be cats in the game anymore, ok cool. However now my foodstores are getting raided by great partys of vermin i just cant seem to eradicate?
Dogs wont respond to them, scarecrow does not seem to scare them and since they are vermin i cant kill them with the militia.

I guess the question is how to deal with vermin in the foodstores now cats are gone?

According to the manual, there are 3 vermin eaters:
  • Moleweasel - also good for butchery
  • Leatherwing Bat - also shearable wings 1/season (source for leather)
  • Frill Lizard - also eggs

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

eloidin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: September 24, 2013, 12:07:36 pm »

Guess wich animals i did not get at embark ;p
Oh well, seems like my growers will just have to work harder to make up for it till the first caravan with those animals comes along.
Thanks for the quick reply!

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: September 24, 2013, 12:12:09 pm »

Doh..slow phone-based reply.

welcome!  Frill lizards, mole weasels, leather wing bats, and maybe a couple others all hunts vermin.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:13:51 pm by dukea42 »
My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: September 24, 2013, 02:39:37 pm »

Were prepared meal ingredient descriptions changed from vanilla?

Instead of "masterfully minced" ingredients, I see "pepper-sprinklprepared spleen", without even a space between the words.

Well, I tried to fix that and nothing worked. Maybe it requires a new world gen.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1000 on: September 24, 2013, 02:48:37 pm »

Yes, I changed that... although I thought it would look nicer ingame. Its in the patched exe, you can change it in a running world, but its probably better if I do that.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: September 24, 2013, 05:46:32 pm »

Not to start a huge debate, but does anyone have any SCIENCE! on using the pattern metals on armor?  I was thinking pattern wolfram on the torso and helm (maybe shield) to protect against hard strikes that break skulls and ribs and then pattern colbalt on the limbs to protect them from getting sliced off.  Is there any ideal blend of metal types to armor spots?  I remember discussion on putting good leather clothing under the metal atleast.

I ask because I have a fair supply of both patternwelds and as my steel production is slowed due to magma flooding my marble mine. With the edge/blunt trade-off of these two metals, it makes an interesting upgrade choice from steel that Id usually use.

Ideal, you asked.  Candy aside,
Why welded wolfram?  It’s extremely heavy, great for war hammers (the meteor hammer is buggy) but volcanic is better for protection.  For pattern varieties, the welded mithril stands out because it’s so very light.  Check the Wiki page DF2012: Armor for the layer limits – three mail shirts fit under a breastplate, six cloaks over.  The problem with ‘great armor’ is that the weight slows down the dwarf to ineffectiveness so ‘Bloody Armor of Armok’ sounds good but isn’t; skills can be upped with ‘athlete’ now using weight benches and pumps but even so, the lighter the armor, the better dodging of the dwarf.  Since Masterwork allows metal cloth, my “Colosseum squad” wears welded mithril with volcanic breast plates (runes) and helms, mithril cloaks and padded clothing underneath.  Except the fire-eaters, of course, they’re in rigid scaleplate with netherwood shields.  But if you’re out of steel, go with what you have, they’ll all likely be good enough (but heavy).   
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: September 24, 2013, 06:05:13 pm »

Heavier armor is always worse than lighter armor. Slows you down like crazy.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: September 24, 2013, 06:32:10 pm »

Masterwork saves take forever to save or load. Would it be faster if I turn Compress Saves off?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: September 24, 2013, 06:33:26 pm »

Generate smaller worlds with less history.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 165