Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201313 times)

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1020 on: September 25, 2013, 08:52:21 am »

then exclude (library goods) and (books) masterpiece.  If there's no stockpile, then they will stay where they are.

Make a stockpile to move them out of the scriptorium that only accepts items from its links, of which it is only linked to the scriptorium.  Once a dwarf picks it up to go study, it will stay in that study hall (I forgot their names).

Also link it to your archeologist and the Storage thing-a-ma-jig.

That could work :)

What is "(library goods) page" used for, anyway? I have over 1600 of them from somewhere.
I'm no expert on the library system, but it looks like those are produced when you study a book. They should be stored in a textbook.

Check your Scriptorium and run the Store a full notebook (to clean up) reaction to get rid of them.  If they are not stored in a textbook (due to dumping) then you should be able to do an autodump-destroy on them (I think that's the DFHack command.)  At least you'll still have your textbooks ready for the next reaction that needs them. :)

I don't see any other reaction that uses them, so they are meant to be destroyed.

Hmm the Store reaction appears red, and the reagents are:
  • B-containing (library goods) notebook
  • Page

I hope id doesn't want me to make 1600 notebooks to destroy the pages  ???
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Wafflelordling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: September 25, 2013, 09:19:40 am »

Its name is Iron Guardian of Armok
and by activate I meant use it.

check the Temple of Armok, unless Meph moved it that's where the activation reaction is.
Can't it spawned as a block from the Archaeologist table :(
Meph changed the reaction to directly spawn the guardian and removed the old activation reaction in V.3i. So there's no reaction to activate the Iron Guardian of Armok anymore.

haven't had one in 3i yet so I was unaware of that, thought the sprite requirement was all that had changed.

As for using it; I'd suggest assigning it to a pasture in or just outside your entrance.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1022 on: September 25, 2013, 10:03:54 am »

Yeah, my mistake. Archeologist spawns an item which I deleted... the creature spawning will be changed anyway, everything by scripts.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: September 25, 2013, 01:16:40 pm »

Are dwarves supposed to attempt to join a guild when they are already a member of one? One of my dwarves just ate a stack of coins like that.

Speaking of coins, what is the purpose of researching a mint if you can just make a stack of 500 coins in the vanilla Metalsmith's Forge that I assume are working just as well? (I didn't actually research a mint yet, I simply sold some goods in a shop to get the coins and forged some of my own)

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1024 on: September 25, 2013, 02:07:31 pm »

Yes, Dwarves can switch guilds. Use workshop profiles for the Guildhall.

The coinmint MINTS coins, instead of forging them, and does not need fuel. You can also make bigger batches, up to 2500 coins in one go.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: September 25, 2013, 09:05:07 pm »

So, I'd like to ask, why isn't the Ore Crusher a toggleable option?

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1026 on: September 25, 2013, 09:08:05 pm »

Because... I couldnt code on the GUI for 5 months?

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: September 26, 2013, 03:17:59 am »

What are dragon scales used for, apart from selling?
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: September 26, 2013, 03:45:57 am »

I'm no expert on the library system, but it looks like those are produced when you study a book. They should be stored in a textbook.

Check your Scriptorium and run the Store a full notebook (to clean up) reaction to get rid of them.  If they are not stored in a textbook (due to dumping) then you should be able to do an autodump-destroy on them (I think that's the DFHack command.)  At least you'll still have your textbooks ready for the next reaction that needs them. :)

I don't see any other reaction that uses them, so they are meant to be destroyed.

Hmm the Store reaction appears red, and the reagents are:
  • B-containing (library goods) notebook
  • Page

I hope id doesn't want me to make 1600 notebooks to destroy the pages  ???

Note to self - some pages are masterwork and cause a tantrum when mass atom-smashed...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1029 on: September 26, 2013, 06:07:02 am »

Has changed for the next version. ;)

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: September 26, 2013, 10:55:23 am »

What are dragon scales used for, apart from selling?
Pretty much perfect leather armor.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Annon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: September 26, 2013, 11:02:53 am »

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this question or if it has been answered, but I'm confused by workflow.

I tried to use workflow to automate my clay manufacturing somewhat, but I borked it up.

Basically, what I want to do is build a bunch of clay ovens with "Gather Clay" on repeat, then set constraints so the gather jobs will only be active when my potters make enough greenware to deplete the clay stocks. 

I messed up setting up the intermediate steps the last time I tried, so my potters wound up making an arseload of greenware instead of leather-hardening/bone-drying it and they depleted the stocks of clay.  Following that, the "shape clay" jobs all got suspendedand the clay gatherers not only managed to re-stock, they completely blew through the constraints, gathering 30 boulders despite there being a constraint of 8-12 placed on them.

The workflow command I used was:

Code: [Select]
workflow count BOULDER / INORGANIC:FIRE_CLAY 10 2
I wanted to specify fire clay in the command, because I was planning on working with peat in the future and I wasn't sure if peat would count under the BOULDER / CLAY material.  It didn't work as expected, but I don't know if that is because I messed up, or because workflow failed me.

What I would like to do is set up a pottery production pipeline, where if I have a single potter, he will go through all the steps of crafting an item before starting over, and if I have more than one potter they will essentially make a production line, going form station to station to deliver a final product.  After learning from my flub, I *think* this will work:

Code: [Select]
workflow count BOULDER / INORGANIC:FIRE_CLAY 10 2
workflow count TOOL / INORGANIC:GREENWARE_FIRECLAY 1 0
workflow count TOOL / INORGANIC:LEATHER_HARD_FIRECLAY 1 0
workflow count TOOL / INORGANIC:BONE_DRY_FIRECLAY 1 0

Of course, the first line of that workflow is what tripped me up before, so I'm dubious as to whether this will work right.  Also, I'm not 100% clear on whether a greenware object that is currently being dried counts against the limit specified by the workflow, so the first constraint might need to be upped to 2 for a second worker.

How do I do what I want?  Am I close?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 12:24:37 pm by Annon »

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: September 26, 2013, 03:33:17 pm »

I'm not sure how to manage workflow through the DFHack command line. I only use the include graphical version, so I can't help you on the commands needed.

However, workflow checks inventory on a schedule, meaning every few seconds it will suspend or activate the necessary jobs. If you had 10 clay ovens set to collect clay and 10 idle dwarfs, when workflow activates the jobs at 7 clay, those 10 dwarfs will go get 10 clay. The point being that workflow won't suspend the jobs again until it checks the stock levels. The dwarfs may be able to collect 2 or 3 times before workflow checks and sees that there is enough and suspends the jobs.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: September 26, 2013, 07:36:42 pm »

Are the staffs the warlocks drop the same sort of staffs that my own mages use, or at least using the same skill? I'm not able to make my own yet (largely because of an utter lack of platinum, so relying on melting what scraps I can find), so curious as to whether I can get the mages who've migrated in a head start on their training.

I noticed in the weapons list in the equip screen that there are two staff entries, one foreign. Is the foreign one the warlock ones, and the non-foreign the ones my mages would use?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: September 26, 2013, 11:00:43 pm »

Not to start a huge debate, but does anyone have any SCIENCE! on using the pattern metals on armor?  I was thinking pattern wolfram on the torso and helm (maybe shield) to protect against hard strikes that break skulls and ribs and then pattern colbalt on the limbs to protect them from getting sliced off.  Is there any ideal blend of metal types to armor spots?  I remember discussion on putting good leather clothing under the metal atleast.

I ask because I have a fair supply of both patternwelds and as my steel production is slowed due to magma flooding my marble mine. With the edge/blunt trade-off of these two metals, it makes an interesting upgrade choice from steel that Id usually use.

Ideal, you asked.  Candy aside,
Why welded wolfram?  It’s extremely heavy, great for war hammers (the meteor hammer is buggy) but volcanic is better for protection.  For pattern varieties, the welded mithril stands out because it’s so very light.  Check the Wiki page DF2012: Armor for the layer limits – three mail shirts fit under a breastplate, six cloaks over.  The problem with ‘great armor’ is that the weight slows down the dwarf to ineffectiveness so ‘Bloody Armor of Armok’ sounds good but isn’t; skills can be upped with ‘athlete’ now using weight benches and pumps but even so, the lighter the armor, the better dodging of the dwarf.  Since Masterwork allows metal cloth, my “Colosseum squad” wears welded mithril with volcanic breast plates (runes) and helms, mithril cloaks and padded clothing underneath.  Except the fire-eaters, of course, they’re in rigid scaleplate with netherwood shields.  But if you’re out of steel, go with what you have, they’ll all likely be good enough (but heavy).   

Is welded mithril really better for armor than mithril? Based on the stats that wiki describes as "higher is better", the regular mithril seems more durable in theory.

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 165