Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201444 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #930 on: September 19, 2013, 02:39:40 pm »

Is there any way to easily remove indoor grass (moss/crystal growth etc) from a tile? I know I can built a construction or a farm on it then remove it, but I was hoping for a slightly less tedious solution. I suppose I could create a macro to create and another to remove the construction.

My clay collection stalled because moss grew on the tile, turning it from peat to moss and thus ineligible for the collection task.

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: September 19, 2013, 02:44:19 pm »

i believe making a stockpile over the area stops the growing, might be the growth of just plants/trees though
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: September 19, 2013, 02:46:15 pm »

ONE clay tile?  Wow.  You can put a grate over it which is a building, not a construction and will still allow collection.
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: September 19, 2013, 02:58:15 pm »

Well, I missed a letter. Not one tile but every tile in the area I use for clay collection was overcome with caverngrass, yes. I could move it all (and repeat the same issue again in a gameyear) but, like I said, I was hoping for an elegant solution.

I'll try the grate if I survive this titan.

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: September 19, 2013, 04:28:12 pm »

Science journals are for the speaker podiums to hand out as a reaction.
My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: September 19, 2013, 06:53:57 pm »

Meph needs to fix the code for familiars. No solution in the 3i version unless you were to add sprites back in yourself, or modify the reaction.

Hmm. I suppose I could try to change the reaction to use changelings. Will probably end up breaking my game, mind you. But fortune favours the brave!

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: September 19, 2013, 08:52:30 pm »

Laying down a dirt road should clear the moss but it just then regrows.

The way a stockpile works is it doesn't prevent growth, it just ignores it. The moment you remove said stock pile whatever grew in the interim will pop right up. Prolly the best way to deal with collectable soil is stockpile (set to hold only that soil type) over it however many tiles you want and then build a corresponding number of mundane pottery ovens set to repeat collect close by. So long as no other stockpile holds that soil type, haulers will leave the boulder there and you get automatic quantum stacking of dirt!

Grates allow access to the floor and prevent growth but the minimalistic quantum stockpiling is so elegant, I do not bother.

Edit: cat hit enter for me.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 09:04:07 pm by BoffoDorf »

Pepsylo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: September 20, 2013, 01:15:15 am »

Question 1 : I just noticed one of my bedrooms is occupied by 2 dwarves :
 * Saneb Koladmothram, Glassmaker
 * Tosid Okabbashnom, Necromancer in Disguise Bone Carver

I can't find the second one in my dwarves list, however i found out that Saneb K. is married to a dwarf named "Tosid Brokenbarbarous" (why isnt it a dwarven name ?).

After doing some research, that dwarf appears in my dead unit list, even if i don't remember taking care of him at all... Should i be worried, or take some special precautions ? Why is the room still assigned to him if he is dead ? Oo

Question 2 : is there any way to make a metal bed or a glass bed ?

Thanks for your insights ! :)

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: September 20, 2013, 01:57:58 am »

no idea on 1. but for 2. glassforge can make green glass or clear glass beds... take a look.

For metal, there's a trick of sorts. If you remove restrictions on a metal from Stocks (z and under stone), you can make blocks out of that metal's processed ore boulder via the mason. Feed said metal block to the stonecutter and boom, metal bed! Gems cutter will make a gem bed as well fyi.

If you just want a set of gold or silver noble sets, the furniture shop has those reactions as well. It's still cheaper metal wise to convert them to blocks and use the stone noble set reactions though! With metal blocks, you can use the all the stone block reactions in the stone cutter and Furniture shop or keep them as boulders and use the vanilla mason, just need to unlock the material in the stocks screen.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #939 on: September 20, 2013, 02:36:57 am »

Boffo, good workarounds, but one thing doesnt quite work: The metal beds from the mason. Because its ore-boulder you use, and you get ore-beds, not metal-beds. Not gold beds, but pure gold ore beds. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: September 20, 2013, 08:41:31 am »

Question 1 : I just noticed one of my bedrooms is occupied by 2 dwarves :
 * Saneb Koladmothram, Glassmaker
 * Tosid Okabbashnom, Necromancer in Disguise Bone Carver

I can't find the second one in my dwarves list, however i found out that Saneb K. is married to a dwarf named "Tosid Brokenbarbarous" (why isnt it a dwarven name ?).

After doing some research, that dwarf appears in my dead unit list, even if i don't remember taking care of him at all... Should i be worried, or take some special precautions ? Why is the room still assigned to him if he is dead ? O.o

Spouses are still listed even if one of them is dead if both were in the fortress. A nice little reminder that you let their wife/husband die. Or their own natural stupidity got them killed.

This one is probably more a suggestion thing, but since the furniture shop can make silver and gold furnishings as said, couldn't a separate workshop be made to handle making metal bedroom sets (as in processed smelted shiny stuff, not ore stone.) It'd probably need at least an anvil and a scientific breakthrough to realize they can make metal bed frames. It'd certainly be a good use for the copious amounts of copper people usually have on hand...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #941 on: September 20, 2013, 10:30:15 am »

A separate workshop just for beds? I remember seeing one of those when I started modding, it was either from tomi taipo or mechanixm... I never thought anyone would need one. Wouldnt one simple reactions "make metal bed" that accept any metal bar for a bed be enough? you can use stockpile feeding to ensure the material type. Thats better then writing 30 or so reactions and adding them somewhere.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: September 20, 2013, 11:54:43 am »

Can a dwarf change guilds?

From what I understand tey can be members of only one guild, so I'm wondering if I can switch a migrant Guard dwarf with decent skill in Metalcrafting to the Smiths guild instead.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #943 on: September 20, 2013, 12:34:59 pm »

Yeah, sure.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: September 20, 2013, 12:38:27 pm »

Great :)
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 165