Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201833 times)

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #390 on: June 28, 2013, 08:58:19 am »

Are any of the new animal additions worthy of farming?

I though of doing a blob farm to get the crystals, but just as the boulder crabs, they seem to suffer from the Roc syndrome.

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
« Reply #391 on: June 28, 2013, 10:17:07 am »

Out of curiosity why are the kiln/quern new reactions disabled by default?

Also is there a reason for the first cave layer to only be 10 levels down? (Garden of Gaia map) It is just a little difficult to squeeze in a pathing efficient base in 10 levels before I am ready to breach the caverns.

Possibly not the place to ask, but is there a way to repeat a command or series of commands in dfhack every so often? I want to use the zone plugin to manage some of my livestock, but it doesn't seem automated like autobutcher. (I want to only slaughter the females right before they die of old age and autobutcher doesn't have that functionality.)

There is a DFHack command that can force the "revealed magma" state.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 10:20:39 am by silentdeth »
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 28, 2013, 10:30:46 am »

You should be able to adjust the depth of the cavern layers at world gen.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 28, 2013, 11:47:49 am »

Also is there a reason for the first cave layer to only be 10 levels down? (Garden of Gaia map)[clip]

It isn't, varies widely by world gen.  Just keep trying.  It's mentioned in the changelogs.  I don't play with reveal.exe but checked a few, saved learning GOG worlds after reading your post; the average for the first cavern seems to be about 16.

Possibly not the place to ask, but is there a way to repeat a command or series of commands in dfhack every so often?

Yes, several.  One of the best and free is AutoHotKey.  Check the Web.  It's easier to use than the default Record settings and useful for lots of things besides DF.
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 28, 2013, 09:08:35 pm »

It isn't, varies widely by world gen.  Just keep trying.  It's mentioned in the changelogs.  I don't play with reveal.exe but checked a few, saved learning GOG worlds after reading your post; the average for the first cavern seems to be about 16.
Ah, I saw     LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:10 and the caves were at z-10 from the surface so I assumed it was exact, my mistake.

Yes, several.  One of the best and free is AutoHotKey.  Check the Web.  It's easier to use than the default Record settings and useful for lots of things besides DF.
Ah, I didn't think of using another app to do it, I was looking for something in dfhack. I have used AHK before, It should do fine for what I want. 

Scipaeus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 29, 2013, 05:19:36 pm »

My armorer created a Slag Helm during a strange mood. Is it any use? If I am reading the raws correctly, Slag is about 150 times heavier than steel, which doesn't sound that likely, so I am asking here :3

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 29, 2013, 05:20:55 pm »

It'd make you really, really slow.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 29, 2013, 05:46:50 pm »

My armorer created a Slag Helm during a strange mood. Is it any use? If I am reading the raws correctly, Slag is about 150 times heavier than steel, which doesn't sound that likely, so I am asking here :3

You'll also see that it has terrible shear properties.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 30, 2013, 12:24:40 am »

What qualities make armor good for defending against blunt attacks?  Could the slag helm be good for that?
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 30, 2013, 03:28:08 am »

So how harder is to kill  someone with the changes to bodyparts?
I get that the outer brain is there to negate some of that "I punch you into your soul" type of deals, but there seems to be something broken about it.
I still find that a dwarf can punch someones thoughs out (granted, those were cave-men and I don't know what size are they) but somehow blunt weapons are nerfbats. A welded wolfram mace (60 density iirc) will only crush the skull, rarely bruise the outerbrain. We hit a problem here, seeing as headshots are basiclly the only way for a blunt to actually kill.

I don't know how to explain this, but it seems like shins and buttocks are attack magnets. Literally 90% of attacks target one or the other. If someone gets a chest hit, it is negated by breasts (I take this is intentional to, again, limit lethality).

The changes seem to make axes and swords even better, as shins will still fly sky high, while neutering spears, bolts (of the non broadhead variety) and maces, because they rely on vital hits.

I know there is probably no easy way to unbreak the combat, but im not so sure about it being slash or die.

Another thing: How the heck can gnomes shoot without a quiver? They only carry up to 10 bullets. Seems oddly diffrent than everyone else.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 30, 2013, 04:44:15 am »

In Masterwork 3a, my soldiers with welded wolfram war hammers have no problem bashing in the brains of orcs and other dwarves.  I understand maces are slightly worse, though, and your dwarf does need to be fairly strong to wield blunt weapons effectively.

Now that you mention it, my soldiers do tend to chop off enemy buttocks bizarrely often.  I see this especially often with my marksdwarves, use use broadhead ammo in combat.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 30, 2013, 05:14:46 am »

The detaching of buttocks' might be something along the line of the vanilla armor weirdness when it comes to protecting certain bodyparts.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 30, 2013, 09:24:03 am »

The detaching of buttocks' might be something along the line of the vanilla armor weirdness when it comes to protecting certain bodyparts.

The creatures that I saw having their buttocks chopped off were unarmored (maybe some clothing - they were goblin men and kobold thieves), so it'd have to be only tangentially related to that.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #403 on: June 30, 2013, 09:49:25 am »

Its probably because they count as external. Even if it makes the combat more unbalanced, it makes it unbalanced for every humanoid, so in the end it only makes your fighters stronger against wildlife, but same-same for battles with other humanoid creatures. I think its ok as it is. I noticed the high amounts of arrows that find buttocks as well.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 01, 2013, 02:21:41 am »

How does the catapult ammo blocks made in the chemist work? Do they have to be fired from a catapult to ignite, or is it something based on how hard they impact? Will they function if dropped a distance?

There is no mead reaction for the brewery, intentional?

The manual says greenskin poison can by made by "Can be mixed from 4 dwarven plants: Bloated tuber, blade weed, plump helmet and sweet pods." However, in game it says I need bane spider venom. Which should it be?

What does the drow spider venom do? I'm assuming that is the "coat with imported venom" reaction?

Its probably because they count as external. Even if it makes the combat more unbalanced, it makes it unbalanced for every humanoid, so in the end it only makes your fighters stronger against wildlife, but same-same for battles with other humanoid creatures. I think its ok as it is. I noticed the high amounts of arrows that find buttocks as well.

Makes it a lot easier to poison armored humanoids with ranged attacks than it otherwise would be.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 02:25:28 am by silentdeth »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 165