Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 66

Author Topic: The revolutionary design bureau, under new management  (Read 61591 times)

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The revolutionary design bureau, under new management
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 11:21:53 pm »

I think lightweight or unusually reliable will be good choices.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 11:22:29 pm »

Probably unusually reliable.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 11:35:02 pm »

Definitely unusually reliable for the machine gun. No question. They used to break down ALOT. If we have reliable ones, we might even be able to sell the plans to friendlier nations.
Demonstrate the machine gun instead of the BOG, on political prisoners if we are in that sort of country.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 11:39:40 pm »

In the meantime, since we seem to have a grasp of semi-automatics, I suggest we develop a semi-automatic rifle, with modern sights.

SVA-10
Uses same cartridge as Mosin-Nagant.
Has sights developed for individual marksmanship.
8-round box magazine.
800mm long barrel.
Bayonet.
Semi-automatic.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 11:44:03 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2013, 11:57:47 pm »

+1 from me as well.

Also, we should start thinking on something other than infantry, now that we have some good weapons for them. I propose a 37mm antitank gun with a 1.8m barrel(similar to the 37mm M3 that was the first AT gun of the US, if a bit shorter), and also a light tank to mount it in, the Badger.

For Badger specifics:

it should have well-sloped front armor of around 20mm, decently-sloped side and rear armor of around 15mm, be no more than 12 tons, and have a powerful enough engine to make it go reasonably quickly(compared to most tanks of the era, at least!). Also mount that 37mm, of course!

One other thing, start rebuilding the shipyard so we can build things other than torpedo boats
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2013, 12:15:21 am »

If we can, I'd like some info from the higher-ups about what kinds of conflicts we'll be getting into. For example, are we going to encounter enemy armor soon? Will we be in long or short range engagements? etc.

I'd second the "unusually reliable" on the machingun.

I like the Badger. I'd like to alternatively propose that we keep using our 40mm cannon though. The fact that is makes use of an efficient ammo hopper is really cool. We should just assign some engineers to making sure that it can handle being jostled around in a moving vehicle, reducing the capacity if necessary. If we can actually pump out 60 rounds a minute from our tank, that'd be great. All told I'd expect the badger to need a pilot, two people on the gun and a commander.

Alternatively, we should consider an anti-infantry loadout on the Badger, with multiple machineguns.

I'd suggest focusing most of our engineers on the tank and guns for the tank, if we're making a tank this year. The Mosin-Nagant and People's Little Friend should suffice our infantry for the while.

Also, begin a habit of our engineers making paper planes in their spare time. When we go into aeronautics later, we'll need all the experience we can get...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013, 12:18:30 am »

If we can, I'd like some info from the higher-ups about what kinds of conflicts we'll be getting into. For example, are we going to encounter enemy armor soon? Will we be in long or short range engagements? etc.

I'd second the "unusually reliable" on the machingun.

I like the Badger. I'd like to alternatively propose that we keep using our 40mm cannon though. The fact that is makes use of an efficient ammo hopper is really cool. We should just assign some engineers to making sure that it can handle being jostled around in a moving vehicle, reducing the capacity if necessary. If we can actually pump out 60 rounds a minute from our tank, that'd be great. All told I'd expect the badger to need a pilot, two people on the gun and a commander.

Alternatively, we should consider an anti-infantry loadout on the Badger, with multiple machineguns.

I'd suggest focusing most of our engineers on the tank and guns for the tank, if we're making a tank this year. The Mosin-Nagant and People's Little Friend should suffice our infantry for the while.

Also, begin a habit of our engineers making paper planes in their spare time. When we go into aeronautics later, we'll need all the experience we can get...

I was trying to save a little weight by going with a lighter 37mm, but if you guys want to stick with the 40mm I have no objections

Edit: Back then most tanks only had a crew of 3 (a commander, a gunner, and a driver. The commander doubled as radio operator, and the gunner was also the loader. Not too efficient, but it cut down on size and personnel requirements). Not saying we can't go with a crew of 4 off the bat, but that WILL increase size requirements, and subsequently weight. I'm trying to go with a tank that is future-proofed enough for 5 years, after which we can design a larger, better armored tank.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 12:23:03 am by tryrar »
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2013, 12:20:47 am »

I say we get unsually reliable for the machine gun.

I support the SVA-10 semi-auto(which was what i meant for the pidtol, forgot what it was called)

Refine the grenade design more before testing, we don't want dead engineers.

Lets design a shotgun for when fighting gets to close quarters. 12-gauge pump-action with a 4 shell capacity. Light enough to keep mobile when assualting buildings, trenches, bunkers, etc. 4 round to help lighten the weapon and 12-gauge as it seems to be a standard for shotties.

Maybe develop a decent ranged scope for our rifles. Nothing too fancy yet but its nice to have snipers.
I propose we have 3 different infantry types for now.
First: 65% of our foot soldiers as basic infantry with rifles and pistols. 1-2 grenades when we have a reliable design.
Second: 25% of our foot soldiers as assualt troops with a shotgun and pistol with 3-4 grenades.
Third: 10% of our foot soldiers as Snipers with scoped rifles and a pistol. no grenades to allow for more ammo.

Anyone objections to my infantry organization? Also, continue getting rid of rubble, and i support designing the badger, and rebuilding the shipyard.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2013, 12:25:43 am »

I say we get unsually reliable for the machine gun.

I support the SVA-10 semi-auto(which was what i meant for the pidtol, forgot what it was called)

Refine the grenade design more before testing, we don't want dead engineers.

Lets design a shotgun for when fighting gets to close quarters. 12-gauge pump-action with a 4 shell capacity. Light enough to keep mobile when assualting buildings, trenches, bunkers, etc. 4 round to help lighten the weapon and 12-gauge as it seems to be a standard for shotties.

Maybe develop a decent ranged scope for our rifles. Nothing too fancy yet but its nice to have snipers.
I propose we have 3 different infantry types for now.
First: 65% of our foot soldiers as basic infantry with rifles and pistols. 1-2 grenades when we have a reliable design.
Second: 25% of our foot soldiers as assault troops with a shotgun and pistol with 3-4 grenades.
Third: 10% of our foot soldiers as Snipers with scoped rifles and a pistol. no grenades to allow for more ammo.

Anyone objections to my infantry organization? Also, continue getting rid of rubble, and i support designing the badger, and rebuilding the shipyard.

I'd also find room in that for some machine gun squads, but yeah that sounds like a nice infantry organization. I'd say 15% assault and 10% machine gun

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2013, 12:26:01 am »

Five engineers to putting twelve Patriotism machine guns in one package. Focus on the ammo supply, which should be going from one belt but separating to reach every barrel in the contraption so that a maximum rate of fire is available at all times. It might be the best or worst idea, PTW anyway.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2013, 12:31:57 am »

Forgot about our machine guns lol. maybe 60% for infantry 20% for assualt and then 10% for snipers and machine gunners?
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2013, 12:32:29 am »

Alright, unusually reliable it is.

The demonstration of Mobile 40mm gun goes well, they are easily movable by a pair of horses or small truck, and they are otherwise identical to the guns mounted on your shi[s.

The Patriotism machine gun demonstration is impressive The gun can be moved into position by two men, or one with some difficulty and functioned flawlessly even under sustained fire and muddy conditions.

On the topic of what type of fighting they expect?
Well of course the glorious military of our nation will stop any aggressor at the border, long before they make it into any of our cities.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2013, 01:06:15 am »

I think it would be absurd to just not use our machineguns. Of course, we might not even have control over how our weapons are distributed to troops. If possible I would advocate doling out specialized weapons as they're needed, rather than deciding how many men are armed with what before hand.

Furthermore, we don't have a sniper weapon. We shouldn't have a ton of trouble modifying our Mosin-Nagants for that task when it becomes necessary though. We also don't have shotguns, and as far as I can tell, most of our fights will be on the sea, beaches, and open fields(?) at our borders. I'm not sure if we have a calling for "assault" troops, but like I said, a trench gun would be nice.

I might propose a revolver chambered for 20-gauge shotgun shells as a sidearm (it would be good for a soldier who is suddenly in a close-quarters fight by surprise), but I think we should focus on the Badger for the time being.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2013, 02:16:43 am »

I might propose a revolver chambered for 20-gauge shotgun shells as a sidearm (it would be good for a soldier who is suddenly in a close-quarters fight by surprise)
Smart. +1
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 66