Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 66

Author Topic: The revolutionary design bureau, under new management  (Read 61588 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The revolutionary design bureau, under new management
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2013, 11:37:20 pm »

I propose a 500 ton patrol/torpedo boat. On the front is one of our 40mm cannons,  mounted in a fashion that allows direct fire. It is supplemented by two Patriotism machine guns, mounted on either side. Next is mine laying equipment on the back and two torpedo tubes.
+1, Only not 500, but 50 (max 100), that's what such a boat should have
And make it from wood, for cheapness and immunity to magnetic mines

And then a new powerful round:  14.5*114mm , will need it as a main weapon for light AFVs\fighters, AA quad systems and anti-tank rifles

Also, I suggest to not develop assault rifles. Too early and Mosin round is a very crappy choice for that
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 11:53:39 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2013, 11:54:44 pm »

..... A wooden boat designed for battle? 1 hit from a ship weapon and it'll be blown to pieces and bullets will rip it to shreds and kill everybody on board in seconds.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2013, 12:03:10 am »

Tell that to Germans that actively used wooden boats during WW2

High caliber gun will blow any boat of that size, as for bullets\shrapnel wood is quite sturdy

As for combat effectiveness of wooden boats...:

During World War II, S-boats sank 101 merchant ships totalling 214,728 tons. In addition, they sank 12 destroyers, 11 minesweepers, eight landing ships, six MTBs, a torpedo boat, a minelayer, one submarine and a number of small merchant craft.  They also damaged two cruisers, five destroyers, three landing ships, a repair ship, a naval tug and numerous merchant vessels. Sea mines laid by the S-boats were responsible for the loss of 37 merchant ships totalling 148,535 tons, a destroyer, two minesweepers and four landing ships

IMO, not bad

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 12:04:48 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2013, 12:04:31 am »

The PT boats of the US would like a word with you brood

Edit: Ninja'd, but the point still stands
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2013, 12:06:37 am »

Yea, I seem to remember the Germans lost.... but I still prefer boats that can actually take a bullet.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2013, 12:11:38 am »

Good news! follow your successful demonstrations at the end of last year you have been assigned 10 additional novice engineers, and they are ready to begin working on projects right away.

20 of your most experienced engineers begin development of the Badger armored vehicle, given the limited timeframe and short manpower, they did an admirable job.

The final design and prototype turn out rather well and came in at around 15 tons.

The final vehicle is aproximately 2 meters high, 2.5 meters wide and 4.5 meters long. It has all around 15cm except for the front plate of 42 degree 20mm sloped armor using 5 tons of steel.

The gravity fed hopper of the 40mm cannon has proven diffucult to integrate in a vehicle without exposing the loader to enemy fire. However you have managed to retain a respectable rate of fire of up to 20 rounds per minute. Secondary weapons include 2 Patriotism machineguns

With a 150kw (200hp) engine it gets reasonable speeds, up to 48km/h on ideal terrain.

The prototype performs admirably, Landing 4 out of 5 shots on at each of short medium and long range. Travel quickly over roads and power through mud, and it even managed to bounce a 40mm shell off its front slope and remain operational.

The development of the SVA-10 likewise goes extremely well, 5 of your remaining engineers where put on the task.

With improved ring sights, it demonstrates improved effective accuracy over the Mosin Nagant at medium range and the action works reliably, providing at least twice the average rate of fire compared to the Mosin Nagant. Trials demonstrated 4/6 hits at short range, 5/6 hits at medium range and 2/6 at long range.

The development of your shotgun goes fairly well but uneventfully, 5 of your remaining engineers where put on task. The end result delivered on expectations, a light weight 4 shot pump action 12 gauge.

*it had slightly more votes than the 20gauge proposal.

100 of your workers were assigned to expand the shipyard alongside a number of military volenteers, providing an additional 500tons of displacement (1300tons)

100 of your workers were assigned to produce Patriotism Machine guns, 212 rolled off the manufacturing line without incident.

At your disposal:
1 experienced
9 engineers
20 novice engineers
1 experienced workers
33 workers
166 novice workers

A new brick office
A large flat field, suitable for use as a runway.
An old partially bombed out warf with:
1 operational dockyard up to a displacement of 1600 tons (large enough for frigates)
2 warehouses converted to a small factory/machine shop.
Several cleared lots
Various damaged or destroyed structures that are of no use at this time.

The neighboring nation of Morovia has barred travel to and from your nation, trapping hundreds of citizens on the other side of the now well guarded border checkpoints. They have offered asylum and support to a number of pre-revolutionary bourgeoisie claiming nearby provinces. War is expected within the year.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2013, 12:25:48 am »

Brood, you Ignored USA,  wood is quite hard to shoot through whatever videogame logic may suggest.... especially if you reinforce it with some armor plates

I propose a wooden 50 ton patrol boat. On the front is one of our 40mm cannons,  mounted in a fashion that allows direct fire. It is supplemented by two Patriotism machine guns, mounted on either side.  It should be operable both in rivers and sea and perfectly transportable on land. As this is more river craft and because we have no designed mines\torpedos\depth charges it has none, making it even cheaper and faster. Should be used to protect our rivers from crossing and we should build them as soon as possible
And then we'll laugh at their attempts to cross rivers

Also I repeat my suggestion to make 14.5X145mm round for serious job

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2013, 12:29:24 am »

(( Video game logic allows me to stab people through a piece of wood thicker then the knife I'm using. ))

(( Wood is just generally to thin for me to feel safe using it for that sort of thing, especially when it's got a large number of flamable objects on it. ))

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2013, 12:33:21 am »

Actually, I think we should bring about a redesign of the 40mm to allow for a better feed mechanism that's more reliable at higher angles while still being able to direct fire if needed
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2013, 02:10:31 am »

Actually, I think we should bring about a redesign of the 40mm to allow for a better feed mechanism that's more reliable at higher angles while still being able to direct fire if needed
Yeah, I'd propose assigning a few engineers just to optimizing the firing mechanism on our 40mm guns.

Let's see here: We're expecting a land-war soon. We have tanks, machineguns (could stand to manufacture more), our new pistols...

Retrofit all the Mosin-Nagants with modern sights. Also, consider making more large artillery emplacements near the border.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2013, 03:35:08 am »

I propose the research and development of quick-setting but strong concrete for bunkers. and then build a sort of Maginot line type fortification line along the border with the hostile nation.

In the bunkers we can fit 3 forward facing MG's, with 2 covering the flanks (one on each side) and 2 40mm cannons on the (fortified) roof for anti-armour and anti-air operations.

I also support the redesign of the 40mm's feed system. try to get it to belt fed or at least 20 round box magazines.

Ideally, for the 40mm, i'd want 200 round belts for emplaced versions, with the gun being modified so that it can be fired by 1 man and also having 2 barrels and a motorised 360 degree rotational base.. There can be 4 loaders to load the belts, who are armed with SVA-10's who can protect the flanks and rear of the emplacement and a commissar commander for range finding and leadership. This version would be for defence, and would be stationary.

A more mobile version could be the single barreled version we have already, modified to use 20-40 round box magazines with 1 gunner, 1 commander and 2 loaders. This can be used in support of offensive operations.

also, i would finally suggest we design both mobile and static versions of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QF_3.7_inch_AA_gun

1 can be put on top of the bunkers for heavy support (obviously in a fortified emplacement, not vulnerable to enemy fire) and others on wheeled bases can be used in offensive operations as heavy AA and heavy AT roles.

Remember, we dont know what our enemies have. they could have far heavier vehicles than us.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 03:42:57 am by kahn1234 »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2013, 03:56:03 am »

Bunkers are expensive as hell, not gonna work for a nation as poor as we are

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2013, 04:03:18 am »

Tell that to the real life Soviets, Italians, Greeks, Spanish etc etc etc.

Also i said the development of a new type of cheap but strong quick drying cement that can be reinforced with steel bars. Makes building them cheaper and quicker.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2013, 04:12:24 am »

Kahn, you do realize the wieght of a 40mm shell is at least 2 pounds right? belt fed would be highly impractical, and I'm not sure box magazines would work either..

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2013, 04:26:25 am »

Tell that to the real life Soviets, Italians, Greeks, Spanish etc etc etc.

Also i said the development of a new type of cheap but strong quick drying cement that can be reinforced with steel bars. Makes building them cheaper and quicker.
Yes, Russians, Italians, Greeks, Germans, French and so on wasted a lot of resources on something that never helped enough.

Bunkers are very expensive and require quite a lot of time to build. Later it may be an option, but now it's unwise, especially if our opponent has mobile forces
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 66