Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 25

Author Topic: National LCS Revisited (4.07.4 Beta Release!)  (Read 107159 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: National LCS Revisited (4.07.3 Beta Release!)
« Reply #255 on: August 22, 2013, 05:16:28 pm »

Ah... so, I came across a couple bugs while playing this.

The first one is bizarre, in that I'm not sure what caused it, but while out Causing Trouble, my founder came across a Death Squad Member. As my founder was armed with an M4 Carbine, I figured I'd shoot the guy. The game crashed when I hit Fight. No idea why, clicked too fast to find out the cause.

The second one is far more annoying. I tried to disband my squad after I got about... I dunno... 100 sleepers? And as soon as I disband, I get an out of range error.

Not sure what else you'd need, but I'll try to get it to you.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #256 on: August 22, 2013, 06:21:48 pm »

Well, if you take ALL of your people out of the location, even the ones who aren't going to get arrested, they just show up and leave everything alone. No funds are taken, no dismantling of the compound. They wont even take any of the 100+ assault rifles lying around.

If you leave innocent characters there, they will show up and say "You are wanted for Finding a Bug" instead of actually stating any real crimes, leading me to believe that it is actually a bug and not intended behavior.

AHH so it IS a bug! Yes, that text about "Finding a Bug" was put in there precisely to catch bugs like this. Sorry! Yes, you did find a bug.

I dare say the real bug is that the flavor text says you found a bug even though the situation is perfectly reasonable. It should probably say "You are wanted on suspicion of harboring criminals" or something like that.

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
« Reply #257 on: August 22, 2013, 07:15:57 pm »

The second one is far more annoying. I tried to disband my squad after I got about... I dunno... 100 sleepers? And as soon as I disband, I get an out of range error.

Not sure what else you'd need, but I'll try to get it to you.

Webadict, that second bug is the exact same one Baffler has reported, I already know about it and am going to try and investigate it:

Fatal crash bug detected. I had my founder in jail and sweatshop workers left, so I disbanded the LCS to wait out the founder's prison sentence. I typed in the activation phrase and got to the screen that lists the status of the agenda. I pressed the button to wait a month and the game promply crashed. All my people were in Seattle at the homeless shelter (except the recently incarcerated founder).

The actual thing read:

Debug Asssertion Failed!

Program: ...s\Desktop\Liberal Crime
Squad\lcs_win32_4.07.3\crimesquad.exe
File: d:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
10.0\VC\include\vector
Line: 932

Expression:vector subscript out of range.

Edit: the save is not broken, I could reload it and do anything else just fine. I was able to reproduce the crash at the same point.

Tried to reproduce the bug under similar conditions, and the same thing happened with a teenager and two hippies left over. So yeah, most likely caused by the founder's imprisonment (13 month sentence).

3 reports of the same bug from 2 people. Always happens when disbanding. Always a vector subscript out of range. I'll see if I can fix this one.

Ah... so, I came across a couple bugs while playing this.

The first one is bizarre, in that I'm not sure what caused it, but while out Causing Trouble, my founder came across a Death Squad Member. As my founder was armed with an M4 Carbine, I figured I'd shoot the guy. The game crashed when I hit Fight. No idea why, clicked too fast to find out the cause.

That's not probably not enough info for me to go on. If it is a bug in fight.cpp (the file that deals with fighting), that file is big, the bug could be anywhere, like finding a needle in a haystack. Awhile back I fixed a bug in fight.cpp involving Conservatives and Liberals getting mixed up by the game during fights after someone counterattacked, another needle in a haystack type bug that was buried deep in there and hard to find. So maybe this is another one in that same file. Still, it sounds harder to fix than the other bug, the one about the vector subscript out of range when disbanding, I have a lot more to go on with that other bug.

[I dare say the real bug is that the flavor text says you found a bug even though the situation is perfectly reasonable. It should probably say "You are wanted on suspicion of harboring criminals" or something like that.

Agreed, yes, everything else about that report sounded like the way things are supposed to happen, except for the bit about the police saying "You are wanted for Finding a Bug", which is the result of calling a function with an int parameter that returns a string using a switch/case statement with an out-of-range parameter that isn't covered by any of the cases in the switch statement so the default is used instead (and the default only occurs in these particular functions when there is a bug). So the siege code should have something similar to the trial code, have a default crime for them to say if there isn't anything else. At trials it's Loitering. For a siege it would be Harboring Criminals or something like that. It should check to see if the int number for the crime is within the acceptable range before calling the function to return the name of the crime as a string.
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 22, 2013, 08:29:09 pm »

I'll see if I can try to recreate that Fight bug, then.

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 23, 2013, 07:39:03 am »

In revision 718, I have fixed 2 out of those 3 bugs we are talking about (the siege bug where the police accuse you of finding a bug, and the crashing bug where the game crashed when disbanding). The siege bug was a simple matter of changing some text, although I did more thorough work on making sure all crimes are listed in the same order everywhere and that the 2 sets of names for crimes (the set you see on your profile pages and if it says "WANTED FOR ...", and the set used during trials and by police during sieges) are both consistent. Now everywhere they are all in the same order from most severe (Treason) to least severe (Loitering). The crashing bug when disbanding... that was a bug in liberalagenda.cpp, all that was needed was to insert 1 word in the right place, the word "else". That bug was caused by the game trying to do stuff to people who had already been deleted from the game. Can't do stuff to something that's been deleted, since it no longer exists.

The first [bug] is bizarre, in that I'm not sure what caused it, but while out Causing Trouble, my founder came across a Death Squad Member. As my founder was armed with an M4 Carbine, I figured I'd shoot the guy. The game crashed when I hit Fight. No idea why, clicked too fast to find out the cause.

But this one last bug, where it crashes when you use an M4 Carbine to fight a Death Squad Member when you are out Causing Trouble, I have not fixed this yet, I don't have enough details to figure out the cause of this bug yet, it is a trickier one than the others. It is more of an intermittent, randomly occurring, hard to find sort of bug. The other bugs I just fixed happened in very predictable ways, always happened in the same situations.

I'll see if I can try to recreate that Fight bug, then.

Yes, please do, I need more information on that bug to track it down, I've squashed the others but that's a tough one, good of you to find it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 08:36:38 am by Liberal Elitist »

Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 23, 2013, 10:35:56 am »

The first [bug] is bizarre, in that I'm not sure what caused it, but while out Causing Trouble, my founder came across a Death Squad Member. As my founder was armed with an M4 Carbine, I figured I'd shoot the guy. The game crashed when I hit Fight. No idea why, clicked too fast to find out the cause.

But this one last bug, where it crashes when you use an M4 Carbine to fight a Death Squad Member when you are out Causing Trouble, I have not fixed this yet, I don't have enough details to figure out the cause of this bug yet, it is a trickier one than the others. It is more of an intermittent, randomly occurring, hard to find sort of bug. The other bugs I just fixed happened in very predictable ways, always happened in the same situations.

It crashes at line 110 in fight.cpp:

sitestory->crime.push_back(CRIME_ATTACKED);

Backtrace:

#3  0x080dc8f6 in youattack () at combat/fight.cpp:110
#4  0x080d7d10 in footchase () at combat/chase.cpp:643
#5  0x080dc178 in footchase (cr=...) at combat/chase.cpp:1937
#6  0x080ec286 in attemptarrest (liberal=...,
    string=0x81e2b47 "causing trouble", clearformess=0)
    at daily/activities.cpp:870
#7  0x080f1c8e in doActivityTrouble (trouble=...,
    clearformess=@0xbffff0af: 0 '\000') at daily/activities.cpp:2120
#8  0x080ecbe9 in funds_and_trouble (clearformess=@0xbffff0af: 0 '\000')
    at daily/activities.cpp:1043
#9  0x080f9874 in advanceday (clearformess=@0xbffff0af: 0 '\000',
    canseethings=1 '\001') at daily/daily.cpp:735
#10 0x08090643 in mode_base () at basemode/basemode.cpp:685
#11 0x0807afc3 in mode_title () at title/titlescreen.cpp:131
#12 0x0804b7b7 in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffff394) at game.cpp:453

The pointer sitestory is not null but the values it points at suggest they're garbage. This hints at sitestory not being null earlier in line 859 in activities.cpp when it's expected. I don't have more time to look at it now though.

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 23, 2013, 11:57:37 am »

It crashes at line 110 in fight.cpp:

sitestory->crime.push_back(CRIME_ATTACKED);

Backtrace:

#3  0x080dc8f6 in youattack () at combat/fight.cpp:110
#4  0x080d7d10 in footchase () at combat/chase.cpp:643
#5  0x080dc178 in footchase (cr=...) at combat/chase.cpp:1937
#6  0x080ec286 in attemptarrest (liberal=...,
    string=0x81e2b47 "causing trouble", clearformess=0)
    at daily/activities.cpp:870
#7  0x080f1c8e in doActivityTrouble (trouble=...,
    clearformess=@0xbffff0af: 0 '\000') at daily/activities.cpp:2120
#8  0x080ecbe9 in funds_and_trouble (clearformess=@0xbffff0af: 0 '\000')
    at daily/activities.cpp:1043
#9  0x080f9874 in advanceday (clearformess=@0xbffff0af: 0 '\000',
    canseethings=1 '\001') at daily/daily.cpp:735
#10 0x08090643 in mode_base () at basemode/basemode.cpp:685
#11 0x0807afc3 in mode_title () at title/titlescreen.cpp:131
#12 0x0804b7b7 in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffff394) at game.cpp:453

The pointer sitestory is not null but the values it points at suggest they're garbage. This hints at sitestory not being null earlier in line 859 in activities.cpp when it's expected. I don't have more time to look at it now though.

Thanks for the help! The bug with the game crashing when someone fights with police (or death squads) attempting to arrest them when they are Causing Trouble is now fixed in revision 719, thanks to you finding the source of the bug. It's interesting how sitestory isn't initialized in fight.cpp, and is expected to be initialized by functions that call it. And while attemptarrest() DOES initialize sitestory if it is null, if it isn't null, then we have problems, which is what happened here. So I initialized sitestory in doActivityTrouble(), the same way other activities where arrest attempts get made initialize sitestory (for instance, spraypainting graffiti). For now the story is set to NEWSSTORY_WANTEDARREST. Ideally there should be a new type of story created for Causing Trouble, and it would probably be called NEWSSTORY_TROUBLEARREST. But that would take more time and effort to implement. For now, this fixes things, and it's good enough for the moment.

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
  • Even on the battlefield.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 23, 2013, 04:53:17 pm »

Alright so I finally started play 4.07.3, and while I haven't had any bugs or crashes yet, I have noticed a few things.

On the new Recruitment through Activation screen, there is no way to exit the screen except for selecting a profession to look for. Not a big deal just a little inconvenient, I would hope that esc or enter would cancel and return to the previous screen.

When Reviewing and Moving Equipment, it lists "Shelter" 3 times, which is obviously the different shelters in each of the different cities. Basically I'm just saying it would be nice if it specified which city the shelter was in, like on the Assign New Bases to the Squadless screen.

Also I thought I found a bug when it wouldn't let me Loot the bank vault, but you actually need to press Use to pick up the money. That confused me but I don't think it needs to be changed. Haha, it was more embarrassing than anything.

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 24, 2013, 01:20:24 pm »

On the new Recruitment through Activation screen, there is no way to exit the screen except for selecting a profession to look for. Not a big deal just a little inconvenient, I would hope that esc or enter would cancel and return to the previous screen.

Valid concern, I agree, I'll see if I can change that. I think there might be several other screens that have that same problem, too. There's one place where there's a similar problem where I don't think it can be fixed (if you accidentally press S to enter in a new Slogan on the main screen, but then realize this was a mistake and press Escape to try and get out, it doesn't work, and I don't know of any way to fix this). Luckily the case you are mentioning, picking what profession you wish to recruit, can probably have the ability to Escape put in very easily.

When Reviewing and Moving Equipment, it lists "Shelter" 3 times, which is obviously the different shelters in each of the different cities. Basically I'm just saying it would be nice if it specified which city the shelter was in, like on the Assign New Bases to the Squadless screen.

This already works exactly the way you'd like it to work in recent SVN builds on SourceForge and will also work that way once the next release comes out (since your thinking is similar to mine and I already changed it to work that way).

Also I thought I found a bug when it wouldn't let me Loot the bank vault, but you actually need to press Use to pick up the money. That confused me but I don't think it needs to be changed. Haha, it was more embarrassing than anything.

That might be a LITTLE confusing, but standard loot lying on the ground is very different from the stuff you find in Bank Vaults, Safes, Armories, etc. that you need to press U for Use to get. It doesn't require any special skills to get standard loot off the ground, and it isn't a very serious crime, either. Bank Robbery IS a serious crime, though, and if you raid an Armory that's TREASON. Plus let's say you get into a fight on a tile where there's a Bank Vault, Safe, or Armory, and the enemy drops some Loot. Currently you can press L to pick up the loot the enemy dropped in the fight, or press U to Use the Bank Vault, Safe, or Armory to get stuff out of it, or do both of them in whichever order you prefer. This offers users plenty of flexibility, and allows users who want to get loot but avoid committing serious crimes the ability to do that. So I agree, it doesn't need to be changed, the way it currently works makes perfect sense and works great, at least in my personal opinion.

Heh, seems like we both have very similar thinking on how the game should work, I agree with you on all 3 of those.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 24, 2013, 04:04:02 pm »

Regarding the Vaults/Loot: IME "LOOT!" only stays around whilst the squad's still on that square, so best to grab it quick (and it's quick to grab).  Bagging up the cash from the Vault takes a while in-game, by comparison, and tends to help SWAT get into position.

(Grabbing stuff from the ground is only a crime if someone was right there to see you, but if there was someone, it's Theft, exactly the same as Using a Safe.)

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
  • Even on the battlefield.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 05, 2013, 12:53:23 am »

Another problem I've encountered

Over the three cities, I have 11 safehouses (3 Shelters, 3 Abandoned Warehouses, 3 Crack houses and 2 Apartments. I could even potentially have much more than this (CCS safehouses, more apartments)

When I go to move equipment it only shows the first 9. (Key press 1-9) Of course I could see how it might be tricky to display 10 or more safehouses at once, so I'm not sure what the best solution would be. But as it stands moving equipment to certain safehouses is a pain.

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 10, 2013, 01:25:10 am »

When I go to move equipment it only shows the first 9. (Key press 1-9) Of course I could see how it might be tricky to display 10 or more safehouses at once, so I'm not sure what the best solution would be. But as it stands moving equipment to certain safehouses is a pain.

I think the way to fix it so it doesn't become a cluster**** would be to assign a key to switch in between cities that have the safehouses in them.

But than we come into a different issue, and that is that transporting 224 M4's instantaneously, safely and for free is already questionable within the boundaries of a single city. Doing that nationwide with no expense or risk of any sort is almost impossible to justify.

Personally I'd limit the amount of items transferable in between cities to say 10 at a time, with a possible selection of the way to do it (make a sleeper drive the whole way instead of trying to sneak it onto a plane and so on).
That doesn't have to apply to items that are legal. I don't know if a [legal] tag exists for items in LCS but it would be necessary for this.
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 11, 2013, 09:23:21 am »

I think the way to fix it so it doesn't become a cluster**** would be to assign a key to switch in between cities that have the safehouses in them.

But than we come into a different issue, and that is that transporting 224 M4's instantaneously, safely and for free is already questionable within the boundaries of a single city. Doing that nationwide with no expense or risk of any sort is almost impossible to justify.

Personally I'd limit the amount of items transferable in between cities to say 10 at a time, with a possible selection of the way to do it (make a sleeper drive the whole way instead of trying to sneak it onto a plane and so on).
That doesn't have to apply to items that are legal. I don't know if a [legal] tag exists for items in LCS but it would be necessary for this.
There is a tag for the legality or illegality of guns, with options ranging from -2 to +2, corresponding to the gun control level. At -2, it's arch-conservative, and you can carry machine guns around freely. At +2, it's elite liberal, and no guns are allowed. I don't know how that could apply to airplanes, but I'm sure something could be determined.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 11, 2013, 09:33:15 am »

Liberal Crime Squad Revision 715 is out, with MANY bugs fixed and things enhanced since 4.07.3a (revision 690):

https://sourceforge.net/p/lcsgame/code/715/

If you want to download and play it, go to https://sourceforge.net/p/lcsgame/code/715/tarball to download it as a .zip file. Create a new empty directory somewhere. Extract the "init.txt" file, the "art" directory, the "pdcurses.dll" from the "workspaces" directory, and the "crimesquad.exe" file from the "workspaces\Release" directory all into that same directory. Now you can play Liberal Crime Squad SVN revision 715! The debug version of the game is "crimesquad.exe" file from the "workspaces\Debug" directory, just in case you want to play it instead (it has a bigger file size and runs slower, but it is much better for debugging). Unlike Jonathan S. Fox's releases, which are compiled using Microsoft Visual C++, I compiled this using TDM-GCC 4.7.1, the compiler that comes with the Code::Blocks 12.11 IDE for Windows. Liberal Crime Squad is compatible with both compilers so there shouldn't be any problems. The very large file size of the debug version is because it's from a different compiler. Anyway, the release version is VERY fast, it's what I play.

It has MANY bugs fixed and enhancements, by the way.

Looks like I've encountered a bug.

A liberal encounters a few hippies in the Seattle Vegan Co-Op, arranges meetings with them, then moves to Washington, DC -- without losing contact with them. Even more importantly, when they join the LCS, they move to the Homeless Shelter in DC.

For instance, that bug that you just mentioned is one of many that has been fixed. Why? Because you mentioned it on this forum, I read your post, I tracked down the code where that bug was, I fixed it, then I tested the fix to make sure it worked. Just one of many that's been fixed. Earlier I was mostly fixing bugs I came across personally. But now I've switched to fixing bugs I read about on the forums. Not entirely, though, I still come up with things to fix or enhance on my own, mostly little things.

Enjoy!

Whenever I download this and try to extract it, it tells me that the archive is corrupted. What gives?

EDIT: Nevermind, it was my crappy connection.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 02:45:45 pm by tahujdt »
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 18, 2013, 08:02:14 am »

I just want to take a quick second to say what a pleasure it has been watching LCS grow from an initial tiny game into the monstrosity of wonder it has become today. I've been playing it off and on since the beginning and thinking back about how the game was versus what it has become now? My deepest thanks to everyone who has contributed a lot or a little over the years as this has not only been an ongoing source of amusement and entertainment but also a tribute of selfless dedication by the community.

Great job, everyone  :D
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 25