Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 167

Author Topic: A Game of Thrones: Every time somebody uses the spoiler tags take a shot.  (Read 204738 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

You know what? I actually kind of liked the ending. I expect Martin will manage to pull it off in a way that makes way more sense, but at least it didn't feel like the cliched and hackneyed writing we've gotten from the previous few episodes.

Just makes me hope Martin actually lives long enough to finish the books so I can see how we were supposed to have gotten here.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

My pet theory is that those books were already written and have been sitting in a secure box for years waiting for the present
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My pet theory is that those books were already written and have been sitting in a secure box for years waiting for the present

I'm kinda thinking the same thing. He figured he was making more off the show than he ever would the books, so he was holding off to not step on their toes. They're either done, or mostly done.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm kinda thinking the same thing. He figured he was making more off the show than he ever would the books, so he was holding off to not step on their toes. They're either done, or mostly done.
The actor that played Barristan Selmy said the same thing.
GRRM said that wasn't true.

Although iirc in the past GRRM has said that the last two books have all the points written but he was still fleshing them out

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile

I might be in the minority here, but I kind of liked the ending, to some extent.
Sure S8, and parts of S7 felt a bit rushed.
There are several things they could have done differently.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
But overall, I didn't mind it as much as many others seem to have.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 11:03:45 am by Ultimuh »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

The actor that played Barristan Selmy said the same thing.
GRRM said that wasn't true.

Yeah well, he would say that wouldnt he
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

I might be in the minority here, but I kind of liked the ending, to some extent.
Sure S8, and parts of S7 felt a bit rushed.
There are several things they could have done differently.
But overall, I didn't mind it as much as many others seem to have.
I think you should be eaten

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I love the ending as a brilliant middle finger shining radiantly into the night; from that standpoint alone I think the salt it has generated will keep the oceans saline for aeons to come, and so has been a worthy exercise in how to finally shake an aging franchise to death. As a piece of media to actually watch however, I struggle to look in their general direction

*EDIT
Fuck that, I unironically like the last episode now
Robin has the swaggest ending. ya boi survived the game of thrones
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 12:24:56 pm by Loud Whispers »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

Yeah well, he would say that wouldnt he
In the blog post he denied that he finishes with something along the lines:
"Don't trust anything you read on the internet.
Except here, of course."
I may be tinfoily, but that came off really ironic.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile

I finished the long night on friday so I'd be ready to watch the finale live, started a few weeks ago and finally caught up.

Then after the long night I was like eh.  Whatever.  Its just like harry potter, i read the first six books and then just didnt read the seventh.  Even disregarding how mad everyone is, i have no desire to watch the last three episodes

just stop 10 mins before the ending in episode 3 and assume that the NK obliterated westeros. still a better ending than what happened later.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Sounds like they got as close to a phoned-in "And they all lived happily ever after" ending as they could. "We fixed Westeros and it's no longer the back-stabbing, double-dealing, House and honor-fueled warzone that you know and loved.'
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As I posted elsewhere, in reply to someone claiming the ending was bittersweet.

There's nothing bitter about it.
Arya gets to go on an adventure, as she has always wanted (she never was much interested in being a lady)
Sansa gets to be Queen, as she has always wanted.
Jon gets to be back in the Night's Watch... oh wait, he pissed off to live amongst the Freefolk to be a free man, as he has always wanted.
Tyrian gets a position of respect and power, to wield wisely, as he has always wanted.
Bronn got his fooking castle
Brienne gets to not only be a knight but THE knight as first knight of the king's guard
Davos gets to take over the duties of his role model (Stannis was the previous master of ships, and chief grammar nazi)
Sam is somehow the grand maester
Gendry is a lord
Podrick is finally a knight
Ghost got his pats.
And Tormund gets to the follow the one man he respects.

Literally a fairy-tale 'The evil witch is dead and all her minions fucked off back to africa, and everyone lived happily ever after' ending

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Also Bran seems like a such a weird choice. Yeah he's the last of the male Starks but he also has/had zero interest in ruling. A monarch that isn't even human and spends half their time living in the past AND knows the future is maybe a way to avoid power-hungry, internecine warfare between houses......but he's just as likely to wheel himself off stage right at any moment for his own inscrutable reasons. Not exactly a monarch you can love. Bran always felt outside of the game because his real concern was the White Walkers; the Game of Thrones was a huge distraction from the actual main problem facing the world. To put him in charge of it all after it's all said and done feels like....a nonsensical choice that doesn't have any consequences? You put Jon or Gendry or any of the others on the Throne, there will probably be issues. Ignorance of what it means to rule, passions overriding what's best for the realm, old grievances, etc...because those two are actual people. Bran isn't really a person anymore and hasn't been for a while. He's been an omniscient plot device since like Season 6, with very little to say and even less to do.

It's like it was a game of musical thrones and, once they'd decided how each character gets the ending that probably pleases the most fans.....the only one left...uh.....sitting was Bran, and they were like "Yeah, this choice means there will be zero lingering questions at the end, because Bran has zero baggage left after the death of the NK. *high five* Time to move on and make something else mediocre."
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 06:33:54 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think that was the point though, and the main reason anyone WOULD agree.

Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 167