Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 167

Author Topic: A Game of Thrones: Every time somebody uses the spoiler tags take a shot.  (Read 204744 times)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 06:53:57 am by MorleyDev »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev

Actually, let's go back to Dany's twist turn because sweet jesus the more I think about it the more it becomes not just poorly written but flat out offensive in execution.

Dany goes mad suddenly and with minimal real warning, and the justification of it ultimately boils down to "well, her dad was mad".

Just...just think about that for a moment. Got a mental illness? Don't you dare breed, because all you'll do is breed more mad people forever and ever! How insulting is that? A gradual slide that keeps them sympathetic and allows the tragedy of the situation would be one thing, but for it to be so sudden and for them to become unsympathetic so suddenly...it's not just a sour taste, it's a massive fuck you to everyone who has ever struggled with any kind of mental health problems in their life.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 07:03:58 am by MorleyDev »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile

It's meant to be a gradual slide, the show just executed it poorly. Side effect of the few episodes this season.

Dany lost her best friends, had an existential crisis after finding out Jon is the true Targaryen heir, realised she's surrounded by people who won't support her, especially when she's so close to the thing she's dreamed about her entire life. Add in the fact that she's spent her time since late season 1 just constantly growing as this Messianic figure, which only contributes to her delusions of moral authority.

Regardless of the fact that it wasn't all that well, THAT's the narrative. It wasn't just her inbreeding madness.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev

Like I said, a gradual slide would have worked. I'm not angry at GRRM for the concept and story beats, but for it to be this rushed and sudden and illogical (Cersei was using the common people as a shield by filling The Red Keep with common people. So I went and also killed all the people she...wasn't using as a shield?) is what turns it from what should have been a tragedy into an insult in my mind. This is all directed at the show's portrayal of it.

Again, what is the show trying to say?

(Other than fuck y'all, got your money so off to Star Wars now).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 07:49:53 am by MorleyDev »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

I think it's great. It's like you're watching Cosmos, and towards the end Sagan suddenly reveals himself to be Hitler.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

At this point... I'm kind of glad it's over. I usually feel sadness or regret at the end of a series I enjoyed. A desire for it not to end, or a different ending. None of that here... I suppose it's like watching someone you care about, in terrible pain, finally pass away. I'll miss the show that's been a part of my life for this long, but I'm not going to miss what it has become in its final years. I'm glad I don't have to see it like this anymore.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev

« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 08:01:04 am by MorleyDev »

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought this was a joke. What the fuck.

Although now I kind of want to see the gritty 100 years later continuation.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought this was a joke. What the fuck.

Although now I kind of want to see the gritty 100 years later continuation.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

BRB, suing the Frank Herbert estate for using their warg powers to steal the idea before I was born.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok I resumed it better: too much action/heartstrings, too little content. Did the actors become that expensive? Wtf.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 08:48:23 am by dragdeler »
let

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did Dorne get nuked, at least?   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

I finished the long night on friday so I'd be ready to watch the finale live, started a few weeks ago and finally caught up.

Then after the long night I was like eh.  Whatever.  Its just like harry potter, i read the first six books and then just didnt read the seventh.  Even disregarding how mad everyone is, i have no desire to watch the last three episodes
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 167