Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 167

Author Topic: A Game of Thrones: Every time somebody uses the spoiler tags take a shot.  (Read 203879 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Blood for the blood god!

Game of thrones thread?
Game of thrones thread.

A Game of Thrones is a tv series based off the book series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. The book series is expected to be finished by the year 2068, long after Martins death. The series is 100% historically accurate and should be taken on face value.

While we all wait for the Winds of Winter to continue to kill off everybody we have come to love, might as well enjoy the various fan media and groan at the choice of actors for the next season.

Ground rules:
You can talk openly about the show without spoilers.
Because not enough people have read the books, anything ahead in the series from the most recent episode needs spoilers.
Keep it classy.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Game of Thrones: Histories of Blood and Crossbows
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 09:12:18 pm »

Hmmm... i think i know what someone was doing roughly 10 minutes ago...

Gotta say, i love both the books and the show, but the show definitely gets a bit confusing at times. Even though the red priest from the Brotherhood Without Banners has been in 2 or 3 episodes by now, I didn't even know it was him until the Hound referred to him as "priest".

Also one complaint about the show, it seems hell bent on making some of the characters seem less competent. Mainly in the Night's Watch. When it comes to John Snow's arc, it changed their capture from being caused by circumstances they had no knowledge or control about to largely being due to him farting around with the wildling girl.

Also, iirc, didn't Sam release the ravens like he was supposed to at the Fist of the First Men? And they took out the whole he kills an Other thing.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 09:16:31 pm »

They have taken out the entire 'Dragon glass' thing so far, so Sam the Slayer might have been a little tricky. A lot of the show is trying to play catch up with all the details it missed in the last two seasons.
Nobody has even given much notice of the Freys yet, compared to in the books...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 09:20:17 pm »

All y'all need to go home and make Stannis your king.

But it won't happen. Or rather, it'll be short lived... Sad sadness.

Also why is TV Stannis an idiot.

Also fan theories in general.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 09:24:34 pm »

TV Stannis is an idiot because Stannis is an idiot who would listen to the whispering of a woman who burns men alive and murder his own brother.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 09:28:11 pm »

Given that this is GRRM, I'd say the Hound's dead.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 09:32:57 pm »

And yet, I want to believe!

Also, posting to watch for now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 09:34:54 pm »

TV Stannis is an idiot because Stannis is an idiot who would listen to the whispering of a woman who burns men alive and murder his own brother.
Stannis in the books is a man of steel morals and integrity, more likely to break and shatter than compromise his sense. That's why it damn nearly kills him when he has to break his own codes in order to fulfill his duties. He never stops forgetting that his brother's blood is on his hands [those damn peaches] and he's always on the forefront of his battles, both on the field and in the court. He's a parallel of Tywin, virtuous at the expense and sacrifice of all others and himself.
In regards to Melisandre Stannis ignores her many times and every time he does he loses. Through trickery or genuine power Melisandre has shown that the Red God might very well be an emerging or reemerging power that has plans for Stannis. It takes the brutal deaths of tens of thousands by fire no less before Stannis considers following her advice more closely, of which he is still skeptical.
Stannis in the TV follows boobs, completely forgets about his marriage in about 20 seconds and is easily manipulated despite it being well established of his history in King's Landing, land of the liars.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 09:40:38 pm »

So, ultimate question for a new guy: Will watching the show ruin the books?  Because I hear good things, but honestly if show does everything the books would, I think I could save myself the doorstoppers.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 09:43:30 pm »

And yet, I want to believe!

Also, posting to watch for now.

Me too, the Hound is probably my favorite non-main character character in the books.
(Main character being defined as anyone who gets a chapter from their prospective.)

On the topic of Stannis, I am upset that they left out the whole peaches thing, i thought it was a great scene. I also don't feel they are portraying his and Davos's bromance well enough, in addition to the other problems.

So, ultimate question for a new guy: Will watching the show ruin the books?  Because I hear good things, but honestly if show does everything the books would, I think I could save myself the doorstoppers.

I wouldn't say its necessary to watch the show, it misses out a lot from the books. I personally started reading them after I started watching the show, and I definitely prefer the books. But the show still doesn't do a horrible job, and seeing things come to life is always kool.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 09:49:28 pm by Sindain »
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 09:44:12 pm »

Generally books>show.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 09:48:11 pm »

Read the books, there's so much more to them.

I haven't watched any more than bits and pieces of the first season, but I've read all the books.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 09:49:02 pm »

So, ultimate question for a new guy: Will watching the show ruin the books?
Nope! Both are amazing. Some things the show does is better than the books, but the books almost always outshine the show by virtue of being able to carry more depth.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 09:55:38 pm »

Honestly, I would say yes.
I mean the books are significantly better than the show, but spoilers are spoilers. You will still have a general idea what is happening.
Although you will get the occasional 'OH MY FUCKING GOD! IT IS GOING TO ACTUALLY HAPPEN LIKE THIS! THAT ISN'T HOW THE SERIES WENT!' moments that you wouldn't get from books first, but I don't think it is worth it.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 10:08:48 pm »

game of throoonessss

I love the show. I'm going to read the books between S3 and S4.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 167