Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 167

Author Topic: A Game of Thrones: Every time somebody uses the spoiler tags take a shot.  (Read 205260 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Sure, all of this may be part of the ending shared with them by Martin. But it's executed so poorly that it comes off as her acting out of character rather than as the culmination of her character development.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile

Eh I dunno - it was a "fast" slide, but it had lots of triggers:  her protector dies, she lost 2 of her "children", one of her close friends gets mechanically separated, her love interest betrays her (trust) and is seen as a political threat.  That's really a lot of stress to be honest - even without familial disposition.

Now, do we have to like it?  No - but isn't there a part of all of us that would love to just be like "Ya know what? I have a dragon  - who's gonna stop me?"

After all - we are on the DF forums :D
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev

Thing is, it needed better done foreshadowing. It needed showing. Show her her having difficulty stopping herself when the blood and fire starts flowing. Show that whilst she has righteous ideals she has difficulty with reconciling them with her violent impulses *even* when it comes to civilians, as opposed to only against the rulers and soldiers. Show her human heart in conflict with itself.

Have a few scenes in earlier seasons where Jeor and Missandei have to remind her that these are innocent civilians and not their masters, and to bring her back to sanity. Because every time they show her going burny, it's always been against soldiers or rulers. Just something to give an idea that they are grounding her against civilians and things could easily spiral out of control without anybody around to ground Dany. Then it'd make her going 'f-it burn them all' feel more earned from the creators.

As it is, I feel like we got told "Oh dear she could become like the mad king", but never really *shown* that she was close to that edge. She always directed her hatred at those who she felt deserved it: at rulers who abused her and innocents, at soldiers who won't take the knee when given the chance, at criminals. Not just wildly lashing out. Aside from the choice of weapon, that's no different from any other GoT ruler and not enough to qualify as foreshadowing.

Though in my case, the Star Wars comparison would be for Anakin doing the 'I joined the Dark Side, time to kill all the little kids!' nonsense. I get "Dany's a Targaryen and they can go crazy"  but this really seemed to skip all the signs of a slide into madness and looked more like someone tripping on a pebble and falling off a cliff rather than even a rapid slide towards madness.

At least with Anakin, it's something he'd done before. The Sand People killed his mother, so he killed them. And not just the men, but the women. And the children too! And the chickens, oh yes even the chickens. The Jedi were (in his mind) killing his Wife, so it makes sense and is decently foreshadowed that when he gives into the Dark Side suddenly children become acceptable targets. Not amazingly well executed, but looking back they are least tried to show instead of just telling you "something Dark side something dead children".

Yes, I am saying the Star Wars prequels did the slide to darkness and foreshadowing better than GoT just did. But I'd also take the Prequels over Episode 7 and 8 so...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 12:06:33 pm by MorleyDev »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought it was a pretty natural conclusion for Dany's character arc in the last few seasons. It could've used more build-up and a more believable trigger in this episode, sure, but it's been foreshadowed very heavily for ages. I was very happy to see something finally come out of all that.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

My issue was that she'd won. It wasn't that she decided to burn everything as an overreaction to the battle going a little poorly, or some fear that Cersi would get away. It was just showing her looking over this victory and going 'Nope, not good enough, I'm going to murder a million people'.

It could have been done so much better. It needed a trigger in the battle to show why she tipped over the edge to killing off defenseless civilians.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

I guess Dany just really hates bells.

That did come completely out of left field for me, though it was spectacular in the visual department.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 01:02:28 pm by zombat »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't know why everyone's complaining about finally getting the show they've memed about for years. The present tomfoolery is just every "when u yeet ur whatever YAAS KWEEN [picture of Dany/Cersei/Arya]" meme strung together with better special effects.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile

I agree with this.

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

I have the evidence that the Night King was a Stark

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

Most of my GoT-watching friends are also serious WoW fans. I dunno if there are any people fitting that profile here, but I made this after a certain comparison came up:

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile

I agree with this.

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

tbh I expected the Danaerys ending to occur and thought it was a natural culmination of her character's internal conflict which she has been dealing with since s1; she is the progeny of the Mad King and throughout the show she teetotters between her compassion and her desire to burninate the countryside with their thatched roof cottages.

As it is, I feel like we got told "Oh dear she could become like the mad king", but never really *shown* that she was close to that edge. She always directed her hatred at those who she felt deserved it: at rulers who abused her and innocents, at soldiers who won't take the knee when given the chance, at criminals. Not just wildly lashing out. Aside from the choice of weapon, that's no different from any other GoT ruler and not enough to qualify as foreshadowing.
Nah she crucified hundreds of innocent men, incinerated POWs and regularly burninated anyone who wouldn't submit. Not exactly a Robert Baratheon, much more of an Aegon

Danaerys has always had a bit of Mad King in her. Not to say I disagree with the rest of your post, I just think the problem was the pacing, not the idea - they switch the tone from happy Dany music to mad Dany music very abruptly so to say, but the melody was alluding to that crescendo

Danaerys's character development was a good note for me, even if the note was played off-key. Everything else was surprisingly blunt and unemotional, and I felt as much satisfaction watching the conclusion of several years of character and plot development as I would when eating air. Godspeed are lads, we have one more episode left, then it's bid adieu
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 167