Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 167

Author Topic: A Game of Thrones: Every time somebody uses the spoiler tags take a shot.  (Read 205817 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Also, are they still on track for only releasing seven seasons? Because that sounds like they'll just have to kill more and more plotline to tie everything in one more season.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

I think that's a very selective reading overall. Like Melisandre does something useful and suddenly that implies everyone else in Castle Black is dependent on her? I don't get it. Did you want Davos to work out how to reanimate Jon Snow on his own? Jon Snow is "broken" because he doesn't want to get into a fight with the Boltons straight after being killed by his own men?

I'd say it was the wildlings who really saved the day on that front.
I never got the outrage about the Sansa rape when Dany gets raped in the first season. I don't remember any outrage back then.
That was a pretty unavoidable plot point though while the Sansa thing was iirc a TV original.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 06:17:16 am by Leafsnail »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I think that's a very selective reading overall. Like Melisandre does something useful and suddenly that implies everyone else in Castle Black is dependent on her? I don't get it. Did you want Davos to work out how to reanimate Jon Snow on his own? Jon Snow is "broken" because he doesn't want to get into a fight with the Boltons straight after being killed by his own men?
They are trapped in a life or death situation from which there is no escape and the answer to being able to defeat 40goodmen or die trying is the woman who made Davos believe in miracles, despite Davos being the top cynical bastard convinced she's outright demonic
That the whole carrying the secrets of life and death thing, that's actually quite nice, since she gets it after she loses her faith and it's all according to plan
Also Jon is broken because he says he is broken
You can only call this selective when:
"The most recent episode of HBO's Game of Thrones largely evaded the two major questions from the previous chapter, and instead lined up its sixth season to gravitate around the heroics and cunning of its female protagonists." Mark W. Pleiss, Pop Matters
"It's too early to say for sure, but the first episode of the first post-Martin season already feels more woman-friendly, indeed a tad warmer and more embracing overall." Matt Zoller Seitz, New York Magazine/Vulture
"If there's a theme to "The Red Woman," it might just be Girl Power, which is a promising turn." Katie Walsh, The Playlist
"Showrunners David Benioff and DB Weiss have said this season is all about the women, and this opening episode did much to suggest they are right." Sarah Hughes, Guardian
"If this premiere is any indication, the executive producers are moving beyond George R.R. Martin's novels to show women finding their power and wielding it." Mark A. Perigard, Boston Herald 
That's not the case

I never got the outrage about the Sansa rape when Dany gets raped in the first season. I don't remember any outrage back then.
That was a pretty unavoidable plot point though while the Sansa thing was iirc a TV original.
Yeah it wasn't just Sansa rape, it was unnecessary Sansa rape that utterly tanked her character development for cheap shock value/to not bother producing a Jeyne Poole character. Which doesn't make sense because... Jeyne Poole was introduced. So I guess she went the way of the Belwas or Barristen

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Davos and Melissandre were rendered pointless by last season's gaffe of killing off Stannis. Thats one of the major shitty changes, hardly the only one. (Dorne? Mereen? Ser Friendzone?)

I think at this point the writers are *pretending* to do Gameofthronesque things. But everything is stupid. I have to agree with LW above
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They are trapped in a life or death situation from which there is no escape and the answer to being able to defeat 40goodmen or die trying is the woman who made Davos believe in miracles, despite Davos being the top cynical bastard convinced she's outright demonic
That the whole carrying the secrets of life and death thing, that's actually quite nice, since she gets it after she loses her faith and it's all according to plan
Except the actual solution to that problem was sending Edd to get help from Tormund? Mel didn't actually do anything until that situation was resolved. This is what I mean by a selective reading

Thoros also got his resurrection powers after losing his faith so I guess the LoL just works weirdly.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 10:09:33 am by Leafsnail »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

I really wish I hadn't read this thread :/

I'm usually capable of suspending belief. You lot just cut the ropes and made it crash on top of me.

As for those memes earlier, I've heard a lot of good things about the fight with Ser Arthur Dayne. The fight scene was brilliant, etc. I do think the fight scene was great, but also was really annoyed - in the books you feel something for these valiant men, and you see Ned's disgust for having to kill them mixed with his deep, deep respect for them and their values. In the show it was reduced to "my sister is on the other side of these men, therefore I will kill them."
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the full dialogue would be very cheesy if read out loud. Their truncation of it was fine.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

It's not that I mind them changing the words - that could quite easily be done and still maintain the spirit of the thing. The spirit was crushed - as I said, I was annoyed. It was one of my favourite scenes in the books.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

Depends. I guess Kingsguard lines would be really cheesy, while Ned should be more like "pls no go awai I don't want to stab you war is shite pls guis ;-;" instead of "WHERS MUH FOOKING SISTAH NOW EHT ENS".
I still am very sad that Oreo Hotah didin't have time to show off some sick axe/halberd skills.

EDIT:
Spoiler: YES. (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 05:09:49 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Except the actual solution to that problem was sending Edd to get help from Tormund? Mel didn't actually do anything until that situation was resolved. This is what I mean by a selective reading

Onion Knight: Boys, I've been running from men like that all my life. In my learned opinion, we open that door-- And they'll slaughter us all.
NW BB: They want to come in, they're gonna come in.
OK: Aye, but we don't need to make it easy for them. Edd is our only chance.
NW BB: It's a sad fucking statement if Dolorous Edd is our only chance.
OK: There's always the Red Woman.
NW BB: What's one redhead gonna do against 40 armed men?
OK: You haven't seen her do what I've seen her do.

Then we spend the last couple of minutes showing off her glamour. If you find there's discord between the dialogue and the action this is the stuff I'm talking about :D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thoros also got his resurrection powers after losing his faith so I guess the LoL just works weirdly.
I'm leaning more towards Preston's line of thinking here - there is no Lord of Light, and the people capable of performing their "miracles" are psychically gifted buggers. One of the big themes we've had since Berric is the Red Priests and Priestesses asking those they've brought back - what did you see on the other side. Rather than hearing of the Seven, the Old Gods or the Red God, or even the God of Shadows - in the end the Braavosi are the only winners, in that Winter is always coming and the only God is Death. Berric replies "nothing," and Jon too sees "nothing."
Interestingly when Melly asks Thoros why he deserves this power, Thoros said he didn't know - he was the worst Red Priest, failed to convert Robert and the Seven Kingdoms and spent his time acting in a most un-priestly manner, fighting, drinking and whoring. Then he says the words, performs the ritual - as an afterthought, a friendly farewell to his old companion. And he comes back to life.
Melisandre believes she is unworthy of holding this power, and so never tries. Once she loses her faith, Davos asks her to not believe in the Red God, but to believe in her own ability. We get close up shots before she takes off her necklace in episode 1 of her vials - these vials being the powders she used to create special smoke or flames to trick people into believing in miracles (recall season 2 where she burns the heretics on Dragonstone, and their "souls" rise to the skies - with it later being revealed to have just been her powders), so she is at this point probably feeling like herself as a fraud with all she believed in literally dead.
Then she says the words, does the rituals - hey presto, it works because her power has always come from her, not from the Red God.

The stuff to do with watching the flames and prophecy gets more complicated though, especially since GOT diverging from ASOIF has meant the prophecies must be entirely bullshit (in the sense that they were just smoke and mirrors, if you pardon the pun), whereas in GOT the prophecies are true but are either:
  • Deliberately manipulated
  • Reports or suggestions twisted into prophecy
  • Prophecies... That are misinterpreted

So assumedly, the shadow baby stuff and resurrection power is all hers, everything else smoke and mirrors. I think Melisandre gets the best grrl power story arc, admittedly though we haven't seen the conclusion to Arya or Margery's arcs yet so it's too early to say - but it seems rather fitting that her patriarchal god was false and her powers to bring life true, no? Shame her conclusion rather needlessly concluded the entire Baratheon and Onion storylines. It is rather telling that when Brienne informs Melisandre and Stavos that she executed Stannis, they make no remark on this, with D&D not caring one iota ;]

Depends. I guess Kingsguard lines would be really cheesy, while Ned should be more like "pls no go awai I don't want to stab you war is shite pls guis ;-;" instead of "WHERS MUH FOOKING SISTAH NOW EHT ENS".
I still am very sad that Oreo Hotah didin't have time to show off some sick axe/halberd skills.
I'm sad that Oreo dunk it Hot didn't even get to develop much of a character. He still got to pimp slap Jaime but that's about it

Spoiler: YES. (click to show/hide)
The bear the bear, the maiden fair

And they all lived happily ever after

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I really wish I hadn't read this thread :/
I'm usually capable of suspending belief. You lot just cut the ropes and made it crash on top of me.
As for those memes earlier, I've heard a lot of good things about the fight with Ser Arthur Dayne. The fight scene was brilliant, etc. I do think the fight scene was great, but also was really annoyed - in the books you feel something for these valiant men, and you see Ned's disgust for having to kill them mixed with his deep, deep respect for them and their values. In the show it was reduced to "my sister is on the other side of these men, therefore I will kill them."
I think the fight scene against Arthur Dayne was rather showing of D&D's expectation of the viewers intelligence. The viewers are too stupid to possibly grasp two Kings Guard, and Arthur Dayne can't have a special sword, so to make him special they made him DOUBLE WIELD despite how retarded that is. Whatever, looks cool do rite? Sadly, no. The best fight still remains Bron vs Vardis, Brienne vs Hound and Jaime vs Ned. That and honourary place for cheese grater and all the fucking chickens.

Also lol:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Shame they're both as bland as Targy hair

Cut the ropes friendo, there is only one god, the god of bad plot

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile

To be fair, it is kind of a pain keeping track of all the Kingsguard in the books, although in the show they have special helmets and armor so it'd be obvious to anybody who has been following the show.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

I belive the Kingsguard (or Queensguard, though they don't in the show... Dothrakis in white would be hilarious) runs around in white cloaks so everyone can recognize them easily, no?
Unless it's Renly GAY POWER RAINBOW GUARD.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile

Whatsoever happened to Stannis Wife?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

She hung herself after that deal with Shireen. Stannis was not amused.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 167