Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 167

Author Topic: A Game of Thrones: Every time somebody uses the spoiler tags take a shot.  (Read 205826 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

It would be quite nice if the show would grow something of a backbone - but I anticipate the book handling it better. Certainly Dany in the last episode stretched my immersion and ability to see the show as believable to its limit.

Also, I think Jon and the Red Priestess isn't the woman-fest part of his plot - it's more likely to be Sansa. Jon coming out with the whole "I'm broken" thing, and her the "I'm broken too but still strong, and I say we reclaim Winterfell!" spiel.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

I know that there are people who would say that I am very, very wrong, but in my opinion dying is much worse than getting raped, tortured and whatnot, so in the end Jon really has a reason to be broken.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

I know that there are people who would say that I am very, very wrong, but in my opinion dying is much worse than getting raped, tortured and whatnot, so in the end Jon really has a reason to be broken.

Possibly, although that has a lot more to do with the person in question than being broadly true.

I think it's less that he died and more that he was killed by the men he commanded. If he'd simply died, say, fighting some wildling or something in combat he probably wouldn't have quite so strong a reaction. Although the whole 'I died and now I'm alive. That's not right.' aspect would mess with him regardless.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile

Well, yea, but usually when you die you aren't around to complain about it.

Waiting 5 seasons for a Stark reunion was totally worth it, btw.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

A Jon/Arya reunion would have been better. Can't stand Sansa.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile

Can't stand Sansa.

IMO, she got better than she was in early seasons.
Arya is still best Stark girl though.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Also why'd they skip the reveal of Jon saying 'oh btw Sansa I died and now I'm back to life'. That would've been quite the reaction, don't you think?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon

did i miss the release of a new book or did the show just actually move past the books?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

Yes.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

It would be quite nice if the show would grow something of a backbone - but I anticipate the book handling it better. Certainly Dany in the last episode stretched my immersion and ability to see the show as believable to its limit.
I don't really give too many shits whether D&D grow backbones or not, it's not like they don't already agree with the people they're bent over by - I'm disgruntled by how shit they handled it. These episodes just bludgeon me in the face with their shittiness. You know, like contrast Brienne insulting Jaime by calling him a woman then having a look of total deconstruction on her face and all - they don't comment anything further on this, they let the actor actually act. Same message, fantastic scene. Instead this season we get Tommen just saying he's too weak, he needs Cersei. Loras says he's too weak, he needs Margaery. Theon says he's too weak, he needs Yara. Treeperson says Bran is too weak, he needs M.Reed - you get the idea. They don't show this, they don't trust the audience to not be utter morons and not understand this is about grrl power and what is shown is often... Discordant with what is, and what was, and what should have been. Doran is the most glaringly obvious example, but we don't see what happened to the other Reed and no one takes mention of his disappearance, Theon is actually the most eligible candidate (being a moderate greenlander, a man, last surviving son of the King and a eunuch - in the books the fact that Theon is not present at the Kingsm00t is hugely significant), Loras has never shown himself to be weak (even after D&D reduced him from the siege-breaking Loras to an effete homosexual, he was still the unflinching warrior at Blackwater who tried to teach Renly ((who suffered such treatment even worse)) to not fear killing) and I can go on but I've lost interest at illustrating how disappointingly D&D's handled their show

Also, I think Jon and the Red Priestess isn't the woman-fest part of his plot - it's more likely to be Sansa. Jon coming out with the whole "I'm broken" thing, and her the "I'm broken too but still strong, and I say we reclaim Winterfell!" spiel.
Who gives a shit which is the most grrl power scene, it's the grrl power season ;D
This quote is most relevant:
"If this premiere is any indication, the executive producers are moving beyond George R.R. Martin's novels to show women finding their power and wielding it." They've cut away the books to make way for more grrl power, and their ability to actually write a decent grrl power show is sorely lacking

It's honestly laughable for them to praise themselves for having gritty realism where everyone can die and then pull off season 6
Just look at their interviews where they say the motto on GOT is that there's no "bad guys," we've gone from there to being a show of "good women" and "shitlord weak men." Worst of all they don't even have the courtesy to actually show this through the medium, opting instead to have endless dialogue lecturing about how great and strong the womyn are and how weak the men are, surely those looking for feminist lectures would go to feminist lectures? :P

Can't stand Sansa.
IMO, she got better than she was in early seasons.
Arya is still best Stark girl though.
That's because of D&D's decision to send Sansa north to Winterfell - it utterly tanked Sansa's character development back to square 1 with Sansa rape, and from there we didn't progress to some alternative Sansa or even just back to Vale Sansa, nah she's just box standard strong independent female character now. There still remains to this day zero reason why CIA gave away Sansa to the Boltons, even his bullshit about raising Lannister armies to go north falls short when Moat Cailin is insurpassable (owning the Eyrie and Riverlands, he knows this too), and he gives away the girl who means the world to him that he just killed a King for for... No reason beyond D&D wills it apparently. Who knew that the backlash against D&D unintentionally fucking up Sansa's character harder than Godzilla's scales would spawn this monstrosity?

did i miss the release of a new book or did the show just actually move past the books?
It's more that, they just began completely cutting what's little left of the books out of the show, boosting their critical rating and allowing them to pad out the season to make mad streaming dank bank dolla $$$$$

I've really exhausted the limits of most all I can articulate with what has gone wrong so quickly, least without analyzing the episodes further, so just have memes
http://i.imgur.com/oBv2Qm2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fNgfphw.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Y5ByXhK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/xLTMT2M.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/1K4nsid.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/dO6A2MS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/rILgo3Z.jpg

Lmao I'm enjoying ranting about the show's shitness more than the show, you know at least the previous seasons there was a level of enjoyment out of how inconceivably poor the writing was becoming - you know, who couldn't but smile a bit at 20goodmen, or bad pussy, or iron babbies? This is the worst kind of low quality - boringly low quality, like a terrible fanfiction that doesn't even cross the My Immortal threshold

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile

There are whiny shits all over, feminism is no exception. The issue with whiny shits is they can whine at 120 decibels if they want to.

He who whines about whiners should be careful lest he thereby become a whiner. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Aye, surrender to apathy

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

greatorder's changing avatarconfuses me.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

I never got the outrage about the Sansa rape when Dany gets raped in the first season. I don't remember any outrage back then.

But yeah, a lot of crap is going downhill. I think it has more to do with the fact that the show is going further than the books, letting the producers free reign to pull more and more crap.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

I never got the outrage about the Sansa rape when Dany gets raped in the first season. I don't remember any outrage back then.
We didn't have so many feminist hate mobs in 2012
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 167