Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 167

Author Topic: A Game of Thrones: Every time somebody uses the spoiler tags take a shot.  (Read 205444 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I was enjoying the arena scene until....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Melisandre speaks for Rh'ollor some, but she definitely seems to have her own agenda as well. I would not equate her actions with her god's intentions completely.
The only thing I've seen in both the books and shows that suggest Melisandre isn't just a zealot who believes what she preaches is something that appears in the show and not the books. Namely, in that brief moment where she leaves Stannis and bumps into the Brotherhood without Banners. There she gets into an argument with Thoros, getting all self-righteous about how he gets all the cool powers of resurrection from Rh'ollor despite being a disgrace to the red god clergy (he had one job - converting Robert to Rh'ollorism, and by extension Westeros, instead he just spent his time drinking with Robert). Melly sellotape wants Rh'ollor's powers to be used only by the worthy and moral believers. Other than that she doesn't really do much else except try and get Stannis on the iron throne whilst burninating the peasants.

Which I would buy if there was any tangible evidence in the show she was contributing to the greater good. Some little aside. Some scenes. (The only ones of which she's had are meant to make you question her motives.) You only see her when she's preying on the other characters. And so far, she's just gotten Stannis laid and a lot of people burnt at the stake for the Greater Good. I get there's some sort of long-game plan here. But ostensibly, she does nothing except cast spells/perform very obviously evil rituals when it benefits her agenda.
Sorry, I find her in particular, again just from the show, totally out of place and about as subtle as a thrown brick. I can get in to most character's arcs, but there's nothing to go on with her. Just cool aloofness, blah blah blah the Night blah blah blah terrors blah blah blah sex blah blah blah kill your children. And it's gone on for multiple seasons now.
Before there was a much greater dynamic between her, Stannis the Mannis and tor.Onion knight.

The show dumbed it down considerably.

Also no one mentions Balon.
Remember, Mel?
You said your magic would kill Balon?
No word he's dead yet.

Sup, Mel?
Melly pls

No, he fell off a bridge and died. Someone mentioned it in a scene but I think it was really easy to miss.
That conversation happened in the books. In the show the vikings had a season cliffhanger, resolved the cliffhanger with a pathetic ironborn raid on naked ramsay (ffs that was stupid) and then they never reappeared again. NOT EVEN 2GOD. Even when Melly brings up her accomplishments of what King's blood has done, she lists Joffrey and Robb. No Balon. Balon is still chilling. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised at this point if Victarion and Euron never show up, and Balon never dies, meaning no Kingsm00t is necessary and their character arcs are made redundant.

I guess I'll take one bit back. I think there's a scene from last season where she's talking to Stannis' daughter alone maybe, and she actually talks about herself, a little bit about who she was. The change in tone, I was like "Woah. She sounds like a real person, not some dreadfully overacted high priestess of Satan." And then in the next scene, she went right back to it. There's a character there somewhere, it's just taking for fucking ever for it show itself. And what is being shown is a stereotypical evil temptress. I'm sure there's more there, just get on with it already.
Melly leech job x Roose is loose leech lord OTP
But seriously, Melly had to convince a cynical Stannis with words and ocular proof, in the show it's all just like 'power of boobs 2stronk'

Arya tries to seduce Meryn Trant, is rejected as being too old. This foils her assassination plan.
The Lannisters send their regards to the Iron Bank. They are granted an extension on their loan, mostly due to a brilliant singing performance.
Syrio Forel shows up and promptly jumps into a boat with Gendry and Rickon. They row off into the sunset.
Perfect. Also Mace Tyrell is best character. BEST CHARACTER LET ME SING YOU SONG OF MY PEOPLE

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You should really put that in spoilers, Yoink. I fortunately saw the episode already, but the main reason I avoid this thread is unmarked spoilers. You probably ruined some poor person's day. You monster.
This terrified me for a moment. I don't think you're actually serious, but I'm going to go back and spoiler it all just in case. >.>
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Look, if Ramsay weren't SuperBolton: Ultimate Sexy Harem Overlord Ninja Flaying Naked Warrior With 20 Loyal Followers, I think we'd all be happier.
That's what made the thing so damn contrived, that and trying to fit the justification in one episode.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ultimate Sexy Harem Overlord Ninja Flaying Naked Warrior

I kinda want to put that in the OOCQ thread, but I worry that people might click the context and encounter spoilers.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Look, if Ramsay weren't SuperBolton: Ultimate Sexy Harem Overlord Ninja Flaying Naked Warrior With 20 Loyal Followers, I think we'd all be happier.
That's what made the thing so damn contrived, that and trying to fit the justification in one episode.
20 Good men...

2GOD = 20GOOD

THEY THOUGHT WE WOULDN'T NOTICE

2GOD CONFIRMED
2GOD CONFIRMED
2GOD CONFIRMED
2GOD CONFIRMED

Honestly what was the point of 20GOOD though. Winter was grrrmmmmdark enough that Stannis the Mannis was going to be forced to take action. It seems 20GOOD only served to get rid of Davos.

Also, the Onion Knight must have been there with me in spirit when it happened, because I cri evertim ;-;

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

But seriously, Melly had to convince a cynical Stannis with words and ocular proof, in the show it's all just like 'power of boobs 2stronk'

I was wondering about that. Stannis didn't seem like the kind of guy to be swayed by just tits. It was really reducing my opinion of him when it was first introduced, then it kind of goes under the surface...then shows back up again outside of the Night's Watch, when he snuggles up to her and is like "Can I get a camp handy or something?" Melly sounds like a complex character in the books that has been reduced to a pair of tits with a slogan in the show. If she didn't have sex appeal, none of the stuff she does or the way she gets treated by Stannis would make any sense, because they haven't given you any other context to appreciate her contribution to the story.

resolved the cliffhanger with a pathetic ironborn raid on naked ramsay (ffs that was stupid)

That scene was pretty repulsive. It seemed like an excuse to put Ramsey in there shirtless, arching his back out like he's a strumpet, all "come at me Iron BRAH." Hated that scene intensely. Even Theon's sister is like "Fuck this, this is retarded." I cannot wait until I no longer have to look at Ramsey's creepy mug.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 12:14:43 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, that scene kind of ruined Ramsay* for me.
Before that he was an entertaining character, just... beautifully evil and so very hateable. It was great.
But I don't think even his adorable father-son bonding moments with Roose can bring the character back from that atrocity. :P

*However the fuck it's actually spelled.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

resolved the cliffhanger with a pathetic ironborn raid on naked ramsay (ffs that was stupid)

That scene was pretty repulsive. It seemed like an excuse to put Ramsey in there shirtless, arching his back out like he's a strumpet, all "come at me Iron BRAH." Hated that scene intensely. Even Theon's sister is like "Fuck this, this is retarded." I cannot wait until I no longer have to look at Ramsey's creepy mug.
Exactly. Yara, champion axe thrower, facing naked Ramsay, with an axe in her hand (I think she may have even had several axes), decides to not kill the son of her enemy's general. The only explanation can be that she was shocked by Theon or distracted by ultimate sexy harem overlord ninja flaying naked warrior's abs, or the writers forgot that the ironborn are cthulhu worshipping vikings whose economy and currency is killing someone else for their stuff.

Spoiler: Stannis Mannis talk (click to show/hide)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

distracted by ultimate sexy harem overlord ninja flaying naked warrior's abs
Yeah man, didn't you see the torrential nosebleed she had going on?

Also I get that she was all perturbed by Theon's state and that was why she gave up, still doesn't explain how Ultimate Sexy Harem Overlord Ninja Flaying Naked Warrior managed to kill so many heavily armed+armoured dudes with a couple of butter knives.

Edit: Hold on, why am I still complaining about that scene?! It happened ages ago and I just watched the new episode!
Was it really that bad? ???
Booze is Life for Yoink

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I was wondering about that. Stannis didn't seem like the kind of guy to be swayed by just tits. It was really reducing my opinion of him when it was first introduced, then it kind of goes under the surface...then shows back up again outside of the Night's Watch, when he snuggles up to her and is like "Can I get a camp handy or something?" Melly sounds like a complex character in the books that has been reduced to a pair of tits with a slogan in the show. If she didn't have sex appeal, none of the stuff she does or the way she gets treated by Stannis would make any sense, because they haven't given you any other context to appreciate her contribution to the story.
Concurred. Even in the show, Cersei Lannister remarks that it's impossible to seduce Stannis and that he'd be much more likely to just behead her. Well apparently herp derp no one noticed he likes red heads, since only three of them existed in the show and two of them are dead. Melly now holds the monopoly on red hair. Melly the philosopher, Melly the inquisitor, Melly the charlatan - all take a backseat from the transformation of book to show to reduce her to Melly the "putting the Ho in Hodor"

distracted by ultimate sexy harem overlord ninja flaying naked warrior's abs
Yeah man, didn't you see the torrential nosebleed she had going on?

Also I get that she was all perturbed by Theon's state and that was why she gave up, still doesn't explain how Ultimate Sexy Harem Overlord Ninja Flaying Naked Warrior managed to kill so many heavily armed+armoured dudes with a couple of butter knives.

Edit: Hold on, why am I still complaining about that scene?! It happened ages ago and I just watched the new episode!
IT WAS SO BAD, RAMSAY'S HUNTING DOGS MANAGE TO SCARE ALL OF THE IRONBORN INTO RUNNING AWAY WHILST THEY WERE FULLY ARMOURED AND ARMED

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Yes, it was really that bad. The build up to the rescue is like "FUCK YEAH, IRON BORN TO THE MAX, FREEDOM FOR THEON, DEATH TO RAMSAY!"

I think it was an intentional bait and switch, which the show likes to do often. It definitely accomplished evoking an emotional reaction, from me. It's just the reaction was "God this is stupid, fuck Ramsay" not "WHAT A TWIST!!!!111" All that enthusiasm and vigor of the Iron Born goes out the door like wet fart. And we haven't seen anything about the Iron Born since.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 12:33:20 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Yes, it was really that bad. The build up to the rescue is like "FUCK YEAH, IRON BORN TO THE MAX, FREEDOM FOR THEON, DEATH TO RAMSAY!"

I think it was an intentional bait and switch, which the show likes to do often. It definitely accomplished evoking an emotional reaction, from me. It's just the reaction was "God this is stupid, fuck Ramsay" not "WHAT A TWIST!!!!111"
It was a season cliffhanger to make people suffer the delusion that the writers care about the ironborn, which they promptly crushed by making Yara cry home a bloo bloo bloo

WHILE SHE HAD EVERY SINGLE ADVANTAGE AND COULD HAVE PROBABLY KILLED EVERYONE IN WINTERFELL

Fuck. Maybe she should have brought... 20GOOD MEN

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

at least we'll get to see all the Greyjoys at the kingsmoot.
Dammit GoT guys you had one job

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 11:13:10 am by penguinofhonor »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile

I think it was an intentional bait and switch, which the show likes to do often. It definitely accomplished evoking an emotional reaction, from me. It's just the reaction was "God this is stupid, fuck Ramsay" not "WHAT A TWIST!!!!111"
It was a season cliffhanger to make people suffer the delusion that the writers care about the ironborn, which they promptly crushed by making Yara cry home a bloo bloo bloo

WHILE SHE HAD EVERY SINGLE ADVANTAGE AND COULD HAVE PROBABLY KILLED EVERYONE IN WINTERFELL

Fuck. Maybe she should have brought... 20GOOD MEN

In the books her raid never happened, so they couldn't have it succeed. So the question isn't 'why didn't she just WIN' but 'why on earth did they put her in that situation, knowing it was going to have to end in anticlimatic Ramsay plot-protection?'.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 167