Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Manufacture Spaceships Year 4. Promian Czarships claims captured alien craft!  (Read 12779 times)

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: All Of You Manufacture Space Ships: YEAR 2, SEMESTER 2.
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2013, 01:02:17 pm »

(( Yup, let's see how this turn goes and see where we stand after then we can work something out.

With luck I'll swipe 2 more contracts this turn and can get my cash flow up a bit. ))

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2013, 01:18:08 pm »

Spoiler: Financial thingies (click to show/hide)
Welp! Today's the day I start using spreadsheets for forum games. :P

Anyway, considering the fact that we're both in a bit of money trouble currently, it might be wise if we join in a marketing partnership in the near future.
If you're planning on merging companies, that's an option. I'd just say you can combine funds, tech etc. but you'll have to decide amongst yourselves how to organize leadership. I'd also probably stipulate that it's harder to market your older designs somewhat, so that you don't suddenly have twice as much invested in designs as any other company. In general, I'm also going to say that new companies with a hundred thousand ceevees won't have the reputation to buy out any company that isn't already financially failing. :P Otherwise, people would be liable to just form one megaconglomerate with a ton of starting money.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2013, 01:20:43 pm »

Not merging (yet). Maybe pooling money and tech to go for one contract. That's about it actually.

Edit:

GM questions:
- Would the normal AI be capable of recognizing weak spots based on build in database, and focusing fire on them?
- Can I use realworld weaknesses of technologies in game?
- Can we lease technologies. (Ie, Agree to only use them in 1 design.)

If we can do the last one, I would like to propose the following to Brood. I want to lease AI and Particle cannon technology from you, and in exchange you get 25%** of the profit made of the drone sales. The leased technologies would not be used in any other design*.

*I still reserve the right to upgrade the drone design. You'd get paid for sales of the upgraded design.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 01:43:28 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2013, 02:05:57 pm »

GM questions:
- Would the normal AI be capable of recognizing weak spots based on build in database, and focusing fire on them?
Not really as a specific feature, no. I'd just abstract that into the AI being 'better' in general, the same way a human pilot might.
- Can I use realworld weaknesses of technologies in game?
Mayyyyyybeeeeee? What did you have in mind, an EMP or something? That might work.
- Can we lease technologies. (Ie, Agree to only use them in 1 design.)
I suppose, but really in effect you'd just be giving them the tech and having them agree to only use it for that design. There's not an overarching agency to enforce it.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2013, 02:11:44 pm »

Basically, question 1 and 2 tie into each other. Coil guns rely on super magnets to accelerate their projectiles. If we manage to get an AI to hit the weapon spot on, it should overheat the system, and disable/destroy the weapon.

That's basically the point of the droid. It's based more on precision disabling weaponry rather than destroying ships.

Edit: Since we're asking questions anyway, what determines the sale success of a ship?

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2013, 02:21:27 pm »

I'd like to join. Can I still join, or is it too late?
If answer one:
Spoiler: Applifications! (click to show/hide)
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2013, 02:22:34 pm »

Look at the first page. Pretty sure we have enough waitlisters to start another game.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2013, 02:43:23 pm »

Yep. I have six people in the game and seven waitlisters. Sorry. :( In retrospect, perhaps I ought to have kept things simpler. Thus goes most of my games (except the Hardcore RTDs). It would have been awesome to get everyone in, but it takes a couple hours to put together a post as it is. However, I'll see what I can do about opening up slots... ;)

Basically, question 1 and 2 tie into each other. Coil guns rely on super magnets to accelerate their projectiles. If we manage to get an AI to hit the weapon spot on, it should overheat the system, and disable/destroy the weapon.

That's basically the point of the droid. It's based more on precision disabling weaponry rather than destroying ships.
No, you won't really be able to focus on disabling ships or the like, at least not in that fashion.
Edit: Since we're asking questions anyway, what determines the sale success of a ship?
Raw sex appeal. Actually I usually roll D6's, or just decide on a few purchasers for very large or low-demand ships. I roll more dice for a ship that's cheaper (to its audience), and maybe add one or two dice for appealing features (such as good performance in general, or mutations like "looks good"). For example, some of the gunships y'all have been manufacturing are desirable, to, say, space banditos, but they have difficulty affording expensive ones. Some of it does just have to do with my mysterious whims as well, of course.

Also, if you don't mention trying to sell previous ship models I usually don't bother going back to look at their stats and determining how much they should sell, so if you do still want to produce previous models definitely mention that you're doing so.

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2013, 02:47:24 pm »

(( I'll give you the AI for the drone for 15% but the Particle Laser is not for sale for the time being. ))

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2013, 03:13:06 pm »

(( I'll give you the AI for the drone for 15% but the Particle Laser is not for sale for the time being. ))
Works for me.

Also  :-[ at not disabling stuff. What's the point of having a spacetug if nobody ever needs one.
Well, combining fire should work. After all, unlike cannons, laser power stacks.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 03:23:11 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2013, 04:10:26 pm »

Works for me.

Also  :-[ at not disabling stuff. What's the point of having a spacetug if nobody ever needs one.
Well, combining fire should work. After all, unlike cannons, laser power stacks.
I don't mean that nobody ever gets disabled- just it's not going to be a very valid strategy to focus on a disable in combat, over just shooting them. The tow cables are good for scrap too...

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2013, 04:58:42 pm »

-Ж10,000: Create the Lamprey, a scaled down variant of the Minnow. It has two pilots, aluminum structure, and small liquid fuel engines. It should only have 2 defense. It should look cool while going as fast as possible.

Spoiler: Highly top secret (click to show/hide)

-Ж5000: Begin preliminary research on a basic cloaking system.
-Ж5000: Begin preliminary research on plasma engines, expensive, but fast and light.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2013, 06:36:23 pm »

It is year G+3, Semester 1

The third round of space ship designs is completed, and the heat is on? Who will have a critical safety flaw? Whose ship will be embarrassingly unfashionable? Who will be the subject of treacherous corporate espionage (hint: it's someone!) Who will Sensei take out his killer-GM urges on? Read below to find out!

Going on I've been thinking about how I've put together the ships, and figured that the prices aren't all equal for what ships do. That was the intent anyway, since there's some randomness involved, but I may start assigning actual prices, or at least price ranges, to things on the technology list. If I do, I'm only going to go back and change the base price of ships that are ESPECIALLY off, though. What would all you folks say to that? The main issue is I'm iffy on making enough changes that I would have to restart the game to be fair, and thus leaving either people dissatisfied that they got shafted because they were/weren't in the first few turns, or of course having to restart.

RESULTS

Wraith's Riders, CEO Brood of the free planet Jurase
Funds: Ж1000

You receive Ж19,000 from a corporate support donation, but you still aren't able to complete all the research projects you planned.

Spoiler: WraithRider-2A (click to show/hide)
The drop in Titanium prices has reduced the cost of this ship. You consider using reinforced aluminum, but that would be more expensive. You also switch to improved Ion engines, which are slower but make the ship cheaper to run. Furthermore you switched to particle lasers, which are quite expensive but also one of the deadlier weapons available. It not looks much more like a medium fighter craft than a scout.

Spoiler: WraithRider-1B (click to show/hide)
Although this is one of larger craft on the market, you try to make it bigger and better. A change to reinforced aluminum makes it heavier, and you manage to improve the cargo capacity nonetheless by 15. This results in a significant drop in speed, but it's not abominable.

Spoiler: R&D (click to show/hide)

Raven's Ships, CEO scapheap of the Promian planet Gaia 1
Funds: Ж42,800
Someone charged unauthorized billing to your account! You stop the charges, but not before losing Ж25,000.

Spoiler: Raven-2 (click to show/hide)
You decide switching to titanium is the best way to add armor, without sacrificing much speed. Adding a second laser would be a little taxing on your small ship.

You finish the jamming system for Ж10,000. You can retrofit it to a ship during the next turn if need be.

Kingfisher Ships, CEO Kingfisher1112 of the free planet Crudof
Funds: Ж39,500

Spoiler: The Simpleton (click to show/hide)

War Finch Enterprises, CEO IronyOwl of the free planet Venom 8
Funds: Ж60,500

Spoiler: Egret-1A (click to show/hide)
You arm the ship with a cannon, as well as a docking system, which both add weight. You don't succeed in improving the speed at all, but somehow manage to add the new systems without hurting the ship's sleek look. If you're going to get it going faster, you'll need some better engine tech.

V.N.C., CEO 10ebbor10 of the free planet Vraxus
Funds: Ж16,600

The drop in Titanium prices has benefited your station and tug models. The station now costs Ж17,000 to produce, and the tug Ж4,000.

You attempted to improve the ship by licensing the WraithRider AI and switching to aluminum structure and a proper laser. The result is a cheap, effective combat drone. It might be a good competitor for the Swadian contract this year.

Unity Shipyards, Inc. CEO Nirur Torir, of Swadian planet Achilles II

Funds: Ж65,000

Spoiler: Lamprey (click to show/hide)
You make the switch to aluminum, and cut down on armoring and structure. You succeed in making it one of the fastest ships around, albeit cramped inside, with 10 passengers! However, something in your engineering instincts tells you that this is too good to be true.

SHIP PERFORMANCE

Wraithrider-1A and Wraithrider-2: (Brood) The Wraithrider-1A retains its popularity as New Calradia's premier hauling ship. The Promian Czarship says that their squad of Wraithrider-2s encountered a group of alien spacecraft, and shot three down before being forced to retreat. While somewhat sensational, they don't have anything to prove the claim. In a show of irony, there are a number of reports of a rogue Wraithrider-2 shooting down Wraithrider-1A's full of cargo.

Salmon/Salmon Light/Minnow: (Nirur Torir) The Salmon Light is well-received as a cheaper entry-level mining craft. The Salmon also retains a bit of popularity, even though miners aren't often the subject of pirate attacks. The new Minnow establishes itself as a price-competitive rival to the older "space taxis".

Egret-1, Warfinch-1A: (IronyOwl) Since you've made the only luxury ship on the market, the Egret-1, WarFinch enterprises has gained some notable rep in making comfortable passenger craft. The Egret buyer says the ship is very comfortable, although there's some lack of partyin' down facilities. People hesitate the use the WarFinch-1A, especially in light of the documentaries showing problems with the original. Still, the one you sell is seeing regular use by the end of the year. Even at its current price, it's the cheapest per-passenger ship on the market and that could be a selling point in the coming semester.

Raven-2: (scapheap) The Raven-2 becomes somewhat popular both for pirates and their enemies, since it's fast and small enough to outmaneuver the popular Wraithrider cargo ships. However, it also has a tendency to be brought down by even a single laser or cannon shot, and when it's not destroyed, the cockpit is apparently exposed enough that sometimes the pilot is killed outright! It's earned a reputation such that some people call it the "brave man's coffin". Meanwhile, the Raven-1 space taxis face stiff competition from their slightly more affordable (to passengers) rival, the Unity Shipyards Minnow.

Kingfisher-2: (Kingfisher1112) The Swadians are quite pleased with your heavy fighters. While they don't have the speed to pick their engagements, any foolish banditos who come within range are easily dispatched. The one civilian group who bought a Kingfisher-2 reports similar results.

Vraxian Mining Drone: (10ebbor10) The mining drones and station are effective, if a little complex to keep operating, due to the number of different ships involved. There's still reports of occasional AI hiccups and shutdowns, but they manage to stay productive. Human miners maintain competition, and there's even a few people arguing for the advantage of drones due to "space madness".
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 08:53:14 pm by Sensei »

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2013, 07:00:20 pm »

(( Irony, wanna buy my advanced liquid engines? You want more speed and my engines provide it. ))

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2013, 07:12:44 pm »

-Hewett
Contact them and send them a copy of both the former and current cargo ship to accept there contract. Include that it's the biggest cargo ship for sale as well being reasonably fast and armored.

-The Swadian Empire
Contact them with the blueprints of both the former and current WraithRider 2, charge 500 above material price for both and accept there contract. Go as low as material price if required.
Include that it's the best armed warship for sale using a one of a kind highly advanced particle laser.

-The Promian Czarship
Contact them with the blueprints of my upgraded WraithRider 2, charge 500 above material price and accept there contract. Go as low as material price if required. Include that it's the best armed warship for sale using a highly advanced particle laser.

-The Ultor Corporation
Contact them and inform them I have an even larger Cargo craft available thats also a bit tougher, charge 500 above material price and see if they need more craft.

-General Public
Sell my current ships to the general public at 1500 above material price or 500 a ship for three or more.
Discreetly make it known I will sell to pirates but the price will be 3000 above material price or 2000 above for 3 or more.

Contact the company or companies that had it's craft shot down and offer to give them the location of the craft that shot them down, for a fair price, 5000 to begin with, go as low as 1500, mention that I have a reasonably powerful warship available that is more then a match for any bandits, sell it at civilian prices.

Contact the owners of mining drones and stations and offer to upgrade the AI's to a far more reliable model for a small price of 100 per drone and 1500 per station.

Pay 500 for an advert for my new and improved warship. Pay special attention to the new laser, show a demonstration of it's power on an asteroid.
All payment is in advance.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 08:18:03 pm by Brood »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13