Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 84

Author Topic: Witches' Coven: In the Heart of Darkness [GAME OVER: 4/13]  (Read 201245 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Witches' Coven: In the Heart of Darkness [D1: 13/13]
« Reply #180 on: August 05, 2013, 06:17:40 pm »

Deathsword: why did you ask me that? it seemed like you had an answer you were expecting, and just wanted me to be the one to say it. what was the answer you were expecting?

Deathsword and Toaster: why is a flavor claim a good idea? what flavor-based events happened that makes this important?
I was expecting no answer in particular. You are a relatively new to the game and your playstile will still suffer some changes, sometimes big ones. It's often hard to get a read from someone new, asking what a new player learned in their first major game tends to help in figuring out how they may or may not react.

For the second question, I believe Toaster's answer should suffice. But flavour tends to be important in LNCP games in general.

Griff, what happens if you try to drown a witch?
Well, in my experience, and assuming that they're only tied up and weighted, they get dropped in the lake and then proceed to untie their knots.  After they get undone, they have to swim underwater for a while until they find some reeds to breathe through to avoid being seen by the idiots attempting to drown a witch.

Why did you ask this question?
Every upstanding citizen knows that if you try to drown a witch, in a wooden tank and not in a lake (because that would be stupid), that she will use her magical powers to float. It is well known that witches float on water and as such you can easily discern her true nature by comparing her weight to that of other floating materials, such as ducks or wood. [/montypythonreference].
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 05, 2013, 06:29:40 pm »

"Pardon Monsieur Colin Fluery, I meant no offence. I am new to ze town, your problems began long before I arrived. With zis witch débâcle, I would know you all better and a name and profession is no secret among neighbors. Have you resided long in Uzès?"
notquitethere - All my life, assuming the place I grew up in is actually in town (flavor is not specific).  Why did you choose to claim out of the gate, rather than raise the issue and let everyone discuss it?

Okami:  Why ask Vector the same question she asked someone else?
Toaster - Because I wanted to see whether she'd take it in stride or respond with suspicion and accusations of laziness (the former nudging my impression of her slightly Town, the latter nudging it slightly Witch).

From the roster of available co-witches in this game, I'd take Toaster and Leafsnail.  Maybe ToonyMan instead of Toaster, I haven't played any really crazy games recently.
Vector - Experienced players.  Solid choices, but wouldn't you be concerned that their experience would make them prime targets for Town night actions?  Are you saying you think ToonyMan is better at the crazy games?  Why swap out Toaster for Toony, and not Leafsnail?

@Okami:
Why would you "bite" and say your name when you question NQT if they could have an ability that would harm people who soft-claim?  Do you enjoy potentially hurting yourself or is this contrary play?
@Anyone flavour claiming: why are you flavourclaiming
ToonyMan and Leafsnail  - I flavor claimed because I don't see any harm in it, and by forcing scum to flavour claim now (since they'll stand out if they don't), it may do some good by giving investigative roles some info to work with.  I turned around and questioned NQT on it because it does (faintly) smack of rolefishing and was therefore the scummiest thing I'd seen anyone do thus far (not a high bar to meet in the second playing post of the game). 

Well, the only other game I've played with thirteen players, Toon Mafia, had three mafia in it, but it also had a ton of third party players in it.  I wouldn't be surprised to see at least four anti-town players.  Possibly mafia and an SK or something.
griffinpup - If you were an SK in this game, would you kill N1?  Would the alignment of D1's lynchee inform your decision whether or not to kill N1?

zombie urist - If you were a vigilante in this game, would the alignment of D1's lynchee inform your decision whether or not to kill N1?

Deathsword - What do we do with witches?

There are only a couple of details that I've changed, and you're not likely to ever find those.
Does the anachronistic Song of Ice and Fire reference in the D1 OP count?
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 05, 2013, 07:12:53 pm »

PFP

Will post later. Post includes, but not limited to: questions, suspicion on early calling and inferences, vote, speculation, prods at 3 or more people's posts.

Busy :(

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 05, 2013, 07:16:21 pm »

@Vector - whimsy. I just felt like answering that question in character. does it matter? are there any questions in particular that you want me to answer out of character rather than in character, or the other way around?

Vector:
Vector: "What did you learn from my answer to your question? how do you use that kind of question to find witches?"
seriously, I have trouble with day 1 and the RVS phase of the game. how is that RVS question useful?

It matters because it's obfuscating and hard to figure out who is who.  I'm sure you don't need me to fill you in as to what we call the group that usually roleplays as town in these games.

As for my question, that one in particular gives me an idea as to your mindset, what you think your weaknesses are, whatever.  I'm not really one for trap questions, much.  I prefer to just read the reactions and develop a point of view.

Vector:
What's your preferred alignment and why?

Town.  Third-party is stressful and I've gotten real tired of playing scum.  With town, I feel more like I'm saving the day, being active, developing a technique.

And now, I'll use one of yours.  Why that question?

From the roster of available co-witches in this game, I'd take Toaster and Leafsnail.  Maybe ToonyMan instead of Toaster, I haven't played any really crazy games recently.
Vector - Experienced players.  Solid choices, but wouldn't you be concerned that their experience would make them prime targets for Town night actions?  Are you saying you think ToonyMan is better at the crazy games?  Why swap out Toaster for Toony, and not Leafsnail?

I'm mostly picking my good old friends, to be honest.  There's no one on this particular roster that I'd consider a real liability.  Also, Toaster and Leafsnail have really steady games, as opposed to mine--I tend to fly off the handle.  So, those are the main criteria.  As far as being targets for Town night actions... this may be somewhat naive of me, but if your day game as scum is good enough, it really doesn't matter so much.

I'm not saying that Toony is better at the crazy games, I'm saying that I think he'd be more fun to play with--he'd make stuff a bit nuts.  ToonyMan, Solifuge, Max White, and Neruz are all people I'd pick for scumbuddies primarily for screwing around purposes over finesse.  I'd swap out Toaster and Toony because frankly Leafsnail is the most talented player of the three, and the most willing to do crazy shit out of Toaster and Leaf.

Look, they're all good players and I'd be happy to have all of them, but the specific roster kind of depends on my mood.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 05, 2013, 07:26:44 pm »

All my life, assuming the place I grew up in is actually in town (flavor is not specific).
This is vague. Does the flavor mention where you grew up in? If so where does it say you grew up in?

Toaster - Because I wanted to see whether she'd take it in stride or respond with suspicion and accusations of laziness (the former nudging my impression of her slightly Town, the latter nudging it slightly Witch).
Why would taking it in stride be a town thing and suspicion be a scum thing?

zombie urist - If you were a vigilante in this game, would the alignment of D1's lynchee inform your decision whether or not to kill N1?
Yes. Whats the point of this question b/c I honestly don't see any reason why anyone would answer 'no' to something like this.

There are only a couple of details that I've changed, and you're not likely to ever find those.
Does the anachronistic Song of Ice and Fire reference in the D1 OP count?
What does this have to do with anything?

Okami
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 05, 2013, 08:40:38 pm »

German people
I don't see any German people.
I saw Katherine and didn't bother to check the last name, also the link I posted about the papal bull thing mentions Germany as relevent, you know, Heinrich Kramer and stuff.

Toonyman:
What players in this game are you worried about?  What players do you have meta-reads on them?
Probably Leafsnail for screwing me over in every mafia game this year so far (VLR, BYOR11) and Okami no Rei for his aggressive play on me in King of the Mafia III.  Dariush will probably swear at me at some point when he shows up too.  I have meta-reads on almost everybody in the game besides the more new players (started playing this year), but I'm not sure that will give me any huge advantage.

@Okami:
I agree that Notquitethere throwing out his soft-claim while also telling others to do the same without much discussion on the matter is odd (and I would predict people flavor-claiming D1 would have happened anyway), but your vote case here:
I turned around and questioned NQT on it because it does (faintly) smack of rolefishing and was therefore the scummiest thing I'd seen anyone do thus far (not a high bar to meet in the second playing post of the game). 
I would consider too weak for a lynch, and if you end up building a case for a lynch just because of NQT's first post I would not be concurred.

Zombie Urist

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 05, 2013, 10:09:49 pm »

um, Vector, did you just say that RPing is a sign of witchcraft? or did I misunderstand you somehow?

anyway, my mindset is currently a mix of trepidation, because I've thus far never had Day 1 go well for me, and a bit of awkward playfulness. I want to be my usual self but my usual self doesn't match up with my flavor very well at all, and I haven't decided if I'm going to just ignore my flavor and be myself or try to RP it properly. I honestly don't know what to ask this RVS phase so I'm just asking people about how they interpret the answers they get to their RVS questions, and trying to understand more about how RVS works.

Toonyman: I don't understand why you voted Zombie Urist. why did you do that? the only thing you addresed to him in your vote post was an explanation of why you thought we were in Germany.

@Flavor: I think that Name and Profession are only a small part of our flavor, and that if we really want to dig into it then we need to dig further. to that end:

Tiruin: What past experience do you have with witches? What past experience does <Name of Tiruin's Character> have with witches?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 05, 2013, 10:13:08 pm »

Deathsword:
For the second question, I believe Toaster's answer should suffice. But flavour tends to be important in LNCP games in general.

How would you react to someone who refused to flavor claim when pressed?

NQT:  In the first game, IIRC all the out-of-towners were third party.  Are you non-town?

Dariush:  Given you've played a third party in a Witches' Coven game before, what sort of difficulties do you expect in trying to find them?

Ottofar:  What would cause you to rely on flavor instead of traditional scumhunting to out scum?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 05, 2013, 10:18:25 pm »

um, Vector, did you just say that RPing is a sign of witchcraft? or did I misunderstand you somehow?

1. It's a lot harder to figure out who you're talking about when you use claimed flavor names, for obvious reasons.  Please separate your RP and the information you're passing around.

2. Scum are always role-playing.  Too much roleplaying in a game like this can be a sign of scumminess.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 05, 2013, 10:25:18 pm »

2. Scum are always role-playing.  Too much roleplaying in a game like this can be a sign of scumminess.
Vector: please link me to an example of this.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 05, 2013, 10:27:25 pm »

. . . To the idea that scum are always playing a role?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 05, 2013, 10:28:50 pm »

to scum giving away their alignment by RPing too much.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 05, 2013, 10:30:05 pm »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 05, 2013, 10:49:27 pm »

Votecount:
Dariush  - 0 - 
Deathsword  - 0 - 
griffinpup  - 0 - 
Leafsnail  - 0 - 
Lenglon  - 1 -  Vector
notquitethere  - 2 -  Okami No ReiToaster
Okami No Rei  - 1 -  zombie urist
Ottofar  - 0 - 
Tiruin  - 0 - 
Toaster  - 0 - 
ToonyMan  - 0 - 
Vector  - 1 -  Lenglon
zombie urist  - 1 -  ToonyMan
-
Not Voting  - 7 -  DariushDeathswordgriffinpupLeafsnailnotquitethereOttofarTiruin
No Lynch  - 0 - 
-
Extend  - 0 - 
Shorten  - 0 - 

The Day will end Thursday the 8th of August, 8PM GMT.

4 players required to Extend, 7 to Shorten. 4 Extends left for the Day.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 05, 2013, 11:36:47 pm »

Vector - Thank you.  Based on the past two WCs, would you consider WC in general to be a "crazy game"?

Zombie Urist
This is vague.
Intentionally so.  Would you immediately reveal every aspect of your flavor just because I asked it of you?
Does the flavor mention where you grew up in?
Yes.
If so where does it say you grew up in?
I choose not to answer this question at this time.

Why would taking it in stride be a town thing and suspicion be a scum thing?
My read of her meta is that she would use the weakness of the question as a weapon against me as Scum, and she would be more concerned with answering the question as Town.  It's certainly not a solid read, but it is an indicator whether I should push her harder, or focus my efforts elsewhere.

Yes. Whats the point of this question b/c I honestly don't see any reason why anyone would answer 'no' to something like this.
The question is less about the answer and more about seeing how you think about the answer.  With that in mind, are you content with the effort you put into your answer?

What does this have to do with anything?
It's an OOC comment directed towards LNCP that I intended to be humorous.  It has nothing to do with the game in a strategic sense.

Toony Man
I would consider too weak for a lynch, and if you end up building a case for a lynch just because of NQT's first post I would not be concurred.
Right now, I agree with you.  I do not have enough to lynch NQT.   If I start really pushing for a lynch, I'll bring actual evidence to the floor, of which his first post will only be a piece.  For now I'm just questioning him.

Deathsword, griffinpup, Leafsnail, notquitethere - All of you have posted.  None of you have voted.  Please explain why.
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 84