Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 84

Author Topic: Witches' Coven: In the Heart of Darkness [GAME OVER: 4/13]  (Read 200717 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Witches' Coven: In the Heart of Darkness [GAME OVER: 4/13]
« on: April 19, 2013, 06:09:12 pm »

Witches' Coven: In the Heart of Darkness
"The evils which are perpetrated by modern witches exceed all other sin which God has ever permitted to be done...
For they are called witches (maleficae) on account of the enormity of their crimes..."
- Malleus Maleficarum, Part I Question XIV

Welcome to the third Witches' Coven!

Set in a version of Europe where legend and folklore become reality, on the cusp of its transition from the Late Middle Ages to the Renaissance, Witches' Coven follows the course of events that occurred at the beginning of the great witch hunts.

This is a novel gametype that differs heavily in content and mechanics each time it is run. Here, it is all about immersion - you as players will not just take on roles but are given an opportunity to embody residents of a richly detailed, living and breathing world. The game rewards exploration and discovery, and allows players with an affinity for inference, investigation and analysis to shine. Though it is not impossible to play the game as any other, paying attention only to the core of Mafia, that is not the appeal of this setup - should you wish a hassle-free, streamlined setup for doing just that, you may wish to seek another thread.

This is a closed game. What this means is that no roles will be published beforehand as you would see them in-game, and the presence of certain characters or roles is not guaranteed. I have made a point of including a short summary of all core roles that have shown up so far, but none of them are guaranteed to be included again and should you wish to investigate them further please refer to earlier runs of Witches' Coven.

This is not a full-out Bastard Mod. By this I mean that I will not, at any point in the game, lie to you or break your trust in me. Rules are as absolute as possible and static. Surface mechanics (the conditions and particulars of role powers, core of gameplay immediately visible, etc.) are transparent. You will not, in the game, be deliberately put in an impossible position, and the game is not deliberately unbalanced nor is it solely for my amusement. It has secrets that will reveal themselves to the inquisitive player, however; do not enter if you intend only to play this as you would a vanilla game.

Nor is this a beginner-friendly game. I strongly recommend that you have played at least one BM and two other games. I also recommend you to have played a forum Mafia game in the last six months, so I know you are not overly rusty. I make occasional exceptions, but do not expect to do well unless you have exceeded the italicised minimum, and please don't expect me to take your request seriously if you have never played a Mafia game.

Jim Groovester will be co-moderating this game with me, and will serve the same role with the same authority as I do.

Game Rules (please read, changes made):
  • It will be trusted, on behalf of both the players and the mod, that you will play according to the restrictions (if any) given and that you will play both respectfully and to fulfill your win condition to the best of your abilities.
  • All votes must be in red and bold for legibility. Unvoting before voting again is not required, but appreciated. You may vote for No Lynch. You cannot conditional vote. In case of a tie, no one will be lynched. The game is hammerless.
  • Days and Nights both span 72 hours.  Neither time span includes weekends. Nights may end earlier if all actions are in before the deadline. Days and nights end at 9PM GMT unless otherwise specified.
  • Never edit your posts for any reason, including typos.
  • Do not PM other players unless explicitly allowed.  Players with private chat access will be given a topic on QuickTopic where they may post freely.
  • Never quote any PM from the mod or any communication with them unless explicitly allowed.  You may give a general summary (for example, a roleclaim), but do not quote directly. Rulebreakers can and will be modkilled with prejudice.
  • Any requests to the moderator not in bold will be ignored.
  • Dead players may post one “bah post” to comment on their death, but it may not contain any relevant game information.  After that, please do not post.
  • You may ask for an extension or shorten by putting the respective word in bold.  Extensions require 33% of players to agree minus any players opposing, and requires at least three players. Extends are for 48 hours including weekends, and there may only be a maximum of four Extends.
  • Shortens require at least 51% of players to agree, and will end the day as soon as I can process the day end.
  • Please make an effort to post at least once daily.  If you do not post content (that is, nothing along the lines of “placeholder post”, "this is a post" or "I will post later") for 48 hours, you will be given a warning that will last the entire game.  If I don’t hear from you within 24 more hours after the warning has been given, you will be replaced or modkilled. Your third warning will be your last. Should you be inactive for more than 36 hours at any point after having received it, you will be modkilled. See also rule 12. This includes weekends.
  • If you do not post content for an entire day (72 hours minimum) you will be modkilled at the end of the day. The Day is quite long enough; there are no excuses for flaking.
  • Short-term absences need to be stated before you become absent, or I will not be able to take them into account. If you’ll be gone for a longer time, you can either PM me about it and I’ll try to accomodate, or request a replacement as below.
  • If you can no longer post, you may Request Replacement. If there is anyone in the replacement queue that person will replace you. If not, you will remain in the game until this happens even if you won't be prodded - please endeavour to post regardless.
  • Never underestimate your importance, and always play to win!

Game Action Order:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Previous Roles:

Role PM Ability Tags:

Attendance Sheet:

Green names are wins.

Alive:
  • Ottofar Birdy51 - Mathieu Gendre, stonemason
  • Vector Shakerag - Marie Bouvet, widow
  • ToonyMan - Jacques de Crussol, Viscount of Uzès
  • notquitethere - Anne Morel, Inquisitor

Dead:
  • Dariush - Michiel Verdomme, Witch Maiden
  • Deathsword IronyOwl - Pierre Guiot, mercer
  • griffinpup Hapah - Estienne Moreau, Witch Mother
  • Leafsnail - Martin Brouillart, farmer
  • Lenglon - Regnault Coullart, shoemaker
  • Okami no Rei Solifuge - Colin Fleury, Dark Child
  • Tiruin - Gillette Doulze, Life Shaman
  • Toaster - Jean Petit, Witch Crone
  • zombie urist - Denis le Breton, Death Shaman

Special thanks go to webadict and Mephansteras for their help with balancing and speculation!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 06:12:37 pm by lordnincompoop »

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: Witches' Coven: Heart of Darkness [Reservations: 0/13]
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 06:09:39 pm »

Hello, everyone. This is not the game signups; it will not start now, or in fact any time soon. I’ve still set my goal for this as being in July, and it likely won’t come any earlier than that. Flavour is still being worked on, so nothing here is final.

Why I’m opening this thread is because I want to let you have the opportunity to reserve spots in the game for July. This will benefit you in two ways: Firstly, your eventual character is guaranteed to be the same gender you are. I cannot make this guarantee for others, as everything must be written beforehand and the process is simply too involved to accomodate a gender swap. Secondly, if you want, I can accomodate for some personality traits or physical characteristics you want your character to have. This will obviously have to be appropriate to the setting, and inclusion will be at my discretion.

This also benefits me, because it’ll make it easier to flesh out characters when you know your audience.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 08:54:08 pm »

Inquisitor Toaster reporting.

(Really, you can make me anything; I'm not picky)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 10:18:35 pm »

In.

Do something awesome and hilarious that will make me feel like you know me pretty well :I

Obviously, this isn't necessary, but that would create peak happiness.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 04:22:38 am »

In.
Even if it isn't signups, this is what I'd say :P

Because July.

...That, and I'm quite fond of your writing style LNCP. ;D

And now to read the OP-
This is a novel gametype that differs heavily in content and mechanics each time it is run. Here, it is all about immersion - you as players will not just take on roles but are given an opportunity to embody residents of a richly detailed, living and breathing world.
Oh yes IN.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 05:06:18 am »

The WCs are sacred. In.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 05:09:18 am by Dariush »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Witches' Coven: Heart of Darkness [Reservations: 4/13]
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 10:20:03 am »

I'll in. LNCP games are always good.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 11:26:44 am »

Ah, if this isn't going to happen for a few months, then I'll In. This promises to be very good.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 02:16:36 pm »

I haven't been here for a while, so I don't know many of the newest players, I'm afraid. Have you played many games, Captain Ford, and do you think you'll be able to handle this?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 02:22:34 pm »

I haven't been here for a while, so I don't know many of the newest players, I'm afraid. Have you played many games, Captain Ford, and do you think you'll be able to handle this?
His signature ought to say it all. :D

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Witches' Coven: Heart of Darkness [Reservations: 5/13]
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 02:23:02 pm »

Nah, Ford is awesome.  Accept him without reservation :I
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
Re: Witches' Coven: Heart of Darkness [Reservations: 5/13]
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 02:34:44 pm »

Awesome. :D

I think Quad would get a kick out of this game too, if she were still around. Though she might need more experience yet.

...I wonder what ever happened to her.

His signature ought to say it all. :D
Half the reason I put that in my sig is because it came from you, you know.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 02:37:39 pm by Captain Ford »
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Witches' Coven: Heart of Darkness [Reservations: 6/13]
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 02:54:29 pm »

I'll IN if you'll have me.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 03:34:53 pm »

I'll IN if you'll have me.

You still haven't finished your third game here, so I think that's a little too newly-minted for this game.

I'll put you up as a potential replacement.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 03:42:14 pm »

no problem.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 84