Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Regarding cavern wildlife  (Read 5041 times)

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding cavern wildlife
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 08:07:47 am »

modded them to lay a low number of eggs so i cant mass them, but most creatures in my modded worlds can reproduce. Dragons also grow up in 30 years or so, which is 3 times the lifespan of my typical fort.
Have you considered that there may be a possible causal relationship between those two facts? :P
no, i havent played df for that long yet, so i tend to abandon if i see my fort as too inefficient, too ugly, or just as something i dont like anymore. If i knew i could start over and make it way better, i would. I've reached the stopping point for that already, and my last fort was going to be my forever fort, but succumbed to a crash-on-load bug that kept crashing it, so i was forced to abandon. Theoretically if i didnt abandon anything, i think i would have a fort that can last indefinitely considering i get rid of all tantrum spiral fuel in advance; have lockdown systems in place; and enough food production and accommodations to sustain a fort without a population cap.

Hey thanks!It's so obvious they are in the lake which is 1 level above a fudging magma sea. All I need is one pump that too!

Coming up next: A thread asking for help on how to de-magmify a cavern layer :P.
i think i know a way, just channel down to the magma sea and make sure to channel out the last tile from the side. Then build a magma safe grate over it. If you're cavern is already full of magma and you cant go to channel the surface tile, then im sure theres a exploitish method with retracting bridges that lets you channel from below. Otherwise a controlled cave-in on a piece of single floor can be used cause a hole to appear.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 09:15:19 am »

I usually shy away from such complicated stuff.
well and I thought one pump above the lake will do the trick...remember I'm just trying to kill fleshballs :)
Well my cavern 1 has stopped spawning animals for a whole year now...I have a wooden door which attracts destroyers, there's no chance that there are creature/s hiding there right?It's 100 % empty right?

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 04:31:19 am »

Well, maybe some hidden and trap-avoid  creatures like gremlins are still spawning in your caverns... you just don't notice them.

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 04:33:11 am »

Gremlins can be baited out with a lever that has a dog tied up next to it.

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 04:35:03 am »

Good idea.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 04:36:05 am »

Well, maybe some hidden and trap-avoid  creatures like gremlins are still spawning in your caverns... you just don't notice them.
Hmm gremlins, that didn't occur to me but yes. I would have probably found one by now since everybody is busy hauling away some corpses :P. But still they could be avoiding my entrance and sticking to the edge of the map if they are known to do that.
I better try to lever thing too thanks  :)

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 05:28:18 am »

If they're at the bottom of the sea you can also:

1) drain the sea through an area of cage traps to fortifications on the side

2) cave in from above, which should go right through the water (?)

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 05:34:59 am »

2) cave in from above, which should go right through the water (?)

ok now I'm planning to experiment with that

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 09:58:52 am »

Hm. Using that delicious tidbit of information, if you capture, say Draltha, and breed them wild so they don't have to eat, and kill everything else in the caverns, then you could have cave systems full of Draltha?
Wild grazers still have to eat. You just usually don't notice this since the animals move into the map and then move off of it before they reach the point of hunger.

Wild grazers do not need to eat. As long as you don't try to tame them, you can even keep them caged up for their entire lifespan. So yes, blocking off a large section of the caverns, or creating your own artificial cavern space, and stuffing some live-birthing animals in there will allow you to breed and maintain a large population of those animals free of the need to eat. Dralthas are actually a very good candidate.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 01:45:50 pm »

I have a delicious herd of dralthas all caged up. Two females! Now, how do I chain them up? I want to do somthing like Sphalerite did with the sea serpents, how he separated them from their mother.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2013, 02:05:39 pm »

I have a delicious herd of dralthas all caged up. Two females! Now, how do I chain them up? I want to do somthing like Sphalerite did with the sea serpents, how he separated them from their mother.

If you first construct the cage next to the chain, then it should be possible to assign the draltha to the chain before the either the dwarf or the draltha realizes what's going on (captured gobbos and small creatures are typically fine, but large wild animals and i think trolls will quickly break free iirc).  I believe sphalerite says it was like 50/50 success on getting the non-tamed wild creature chained, so you'll want to do it in an enclosed space with some cage traps in case the draltha breaks free.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2013, 07:02:19 pm »

Easiest way I think is to just drop a ceiling on the fleshballs.

Also I believe wild animals eventually wander off your map to be replaced with something else.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2013, 01:02:59 am »

UPDATE:my Cavern 1 and 2 have been empty for quite some time now(2years?), despite my wooden door and even lever(for gremlins).

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 03:22:21 am »

Maybe some lurking animal was cornered by growing trees and now sits eternally in a tree-enclosed cavern branch?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2013, 03:34:54 am »

Maybe some lurking animal was cornered by growing trees and now sits eternally in a tree-enclosed cavern branch?
Hmm that would require me to send a mining/woodcutting expedition to clear the exits, other than gremlins what other creatures 'lurk'?
Pages: 1 [2] 3