Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Regarding cavern wildlife  (Read 5052 times)

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
Regarding cavern wildlife
« on: April 19, 2013, 01:14:04 am »

Alright, I had setup many cage traps at various choke points which I constructed in all 3 caverns. About 10 years are over, and it has been a
constant source of food and target practice but sometimes even pets. Cavern 1 and Cavern 2 have had a steady supply of drathlas or whatever it is you call them,crundles,etc(also find crocs,elks and crundle eggs good as a food supply) and I also put wooden doors on each one and right now I got my first GCS as well a jabberer, whopeee!
I have noticed a few things though...
1)Cavern 1 has stopped spawning wildlife.(Is this because of me?Are some creatures extinct?I have killed a LOT)
2)Since my embark, there have been fleshballs on Cavern 3 so nothing from there so far. They are in at the bottom of the underground lake so I never tried to slay them. If I do will new wildlife spawn in Cavern 3?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding cavern wildlife
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 01:18:09 am »

1)Just as you can do aboveground, it is possible to completely depopulate a cavern biome, though it can take a lot of work.
2)Only a certain number of animal groups are allowed on the map at a time, so if you slay/capture the fleshballs then more stuff should spawn.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 04:39:22 am »

Kill them? That's going to be a pain, those flesh balls are underwater and steep walls are around them. They don't even seem to move.

1)Just as you can do aboveground, it is possible to completely depopulate a cavern biome, though it can take a lot of work.

Reading this I have come up with a stupid idea, So technically If I release half of whatever group of creatures I cage back to their cavern, will they run away and again get caught?If they run away will I be able to conserve those species?

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 05:08:35 am »

Kill those fleshballs. Like, with, crossbows. Otherwise you won't get any more cavenr creatures there.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 09:47:46 am »

apparently if you dont capture all the spawned animals in 1 cluster, and allow 1 of them to escape, then there is always the chance that a new cluster with a full squad of the animals respawn. This doesnt work for some creatures like giant cave spiders with only 1 per cluster, but i tend to let my spiders revert to wild and then release them after i hatch some spiderlings.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 09:51:29 am »

apparently if you dont capture all the spawned animals in 1 cluster, and allow 1 of them to escape, then there is always the chance that a new cluster with a full squad of the animals respawn. This doesnt work for some creatures like giant cave spiders with only 1 per cluster, but i tend to let my spiders revert to wild and then release them after i hatch some spiderlings.
so conservation attempt might work after all for some species atleast who arrive in groups, HEY wait a minute GCS don't reproduce!

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 09:54:04 am »

so conservation attempt might work after all for some species atleast who arrive in groups, HEY wait a minute GCS don't reproduce!
modded them to lay a low number of eggs so i cant mass them, but most creatures in my modded worlds can reproduce. Dragons also grow up in 30 years or so, which is 3 times the lifespan of my typical fort.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 12:45:19 pm »

Reading this I have come up with a stupid idea, So technically If I release half of whatever group of creatures I cage back to their cavern, will they run away and again get caught?If they run away will I be able to conserve those species?
I do know that if you breed wild creatures (without taming their parents) and then release them out into the wild then it will re-increment the population counts back upwards (possibly leading to more visiting your fortress). I'm not exactly sure how other aspects work into the repopulation aspect right now (and hopefully next version the problem will be fixed with the active world).
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 01:28:24 pm »

I do know that if you breed wild creatures (without taming their parents) and then release them out into the wild then it will re-increment the population counts back upwards (possibly leading to more visiting your fortress). I'm not exactly sure how other aspects work into the repopulation aspect right now (and hopefully next version the problem will be fixed with the active world).

So my conservation attempt is going to be underway!This is strangely like the real world...

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 01:36:36 pm »

Hm. Using that delicious tidbit of information, if you capture, say Draltha, and breed them wild so they don't have to eat, and kill everything else in the caverns, then you could have cave systems full of Draltha?

Now to mod cave blobs to breed slowly!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 03:46:11 pm »

Hm. Using that delicious tidbit of information, if you capture, say Draltha, and breed them wild so they don't have to eat, and kill everything else in the caverns, then you could have cave systems full of Draltha?
Wild grazers still have to eat. You just usually don't notice this since the animals move into the map and then move off of it before they reach the point of hunger.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 04:54:58 pm »

So nobody's mentioned the flesh ball problem really.

I suggest magma. No seriously. Obsidianize the lake, flesh balls are all dead, no saving throw. Plus then you can mine the obsidian for profit.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 05:05:38 pm »

Wild grazers still have to eat. You just usually don't notice this since the animals move into the map and then move off of it before they reach the point of hunger.

I've never seen wild animals need to graze. In forts where I bother with field cages to catch random wandering wildlife, I've caught dozens of yaks and left them in the animal stockpile, some for years, before doing anything with them. It's not until they've been trained that they need to eat.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 12:39:50 am »

I've never seen wild animals need to graze. In forts where I bother with field cages to catch random wandering wildlife, I've caught dozens of yaks and left them in the animal stockpile, some for years, before doing anything with them. It's not until they've been trained that they need to eat.
I can attest that too, once you train them then they start starving.
So nobody's mentioned the flesh ball problem really.
I suggest magma. No seriously. Obsidianize the lake, flesh balls are all dead, no saving throw. Plus then you can mine the obsidian for profit.
Hey thanks!It's so obvious they are in the lake which is 1 level above a fudging magma sea. All I need is one pump that too!

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 07:01:47 am »

modded them to lay a low number of eggs so i cant mass them, but most creatures in my modded worlds can reproduce. Dragons also grow up in 30 years or so, which is 3 times the lifespan of my typical fort.
Have you considered that there may be a possible causal relationship between those two facts? :P

Hey thanks!It's so obvious they are in the lake which is 1 level above a fudging magma sea. All I need is one pump that too!

Coming up next: A thread asking for help on how to de-magmify a cavern layer :P.
Pages: [1] 2 3