Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29

Author Topic: Let's Play X-COM: Terror from the Deep-We're all gonna die!  (Read 38390 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play X-COM: Terror from the Deep-We're all gonna die!
« Reply #180 on: May 13, 2013, 05:40:58 pm »

You sure dye grenades don't work above water? But yes, one of the "neat" things TFTD did was make some of the more powerful heavy weapons from EU only work underwater, ie. not on terror or base defence missions.

Though Neonivek might very well be referencing to the fact that the weapons that do work both above and underwater do so identically. I have no idea how it would affect sonic or gauss weaponry, but I doubt you could throw a grenade all that good while sumberged.

I imagine weapons work work the same, or be even deadlier ie. real-life harpoon gun.
But I do wonder about the grenades...

By the way, our dear alien friends ARE in fact in "Flying Subs". :)

Which means if they choose to emerge, or fly above land? Yeah, you're not intercepting that.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 13, 2013, 06:14:00 pm »

You sure dye grenades don't work above water? But yes, one of the "neat" things TFTD did was make some of the more powerful heavy weapons from EU only work underwater, ie. not on terror or base defence missions.

Though Neonivek might very well be referencing to the fact that the weapons that do work both above and underwater do so identically. I have no idea how it would affect sonic or gauss weaponry, but I doubt you could throw a grenade all that good while sumberged.
There is also the issue that, in basic diving gear, they can't finangle the diving weights so that aquanauts can, y'know, swim. As opposed to flying, which you would need a suit for.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 13, 2013, 06:29:13 pm »

You try swimming with those huge guns they're all toting, without propellers on your suit.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 13, 2013, 11:53:20 pm »

You try swimming with those huge guns they're all toting, without propellers on your suit.

Remember, this is essentially what your characters look like:

Spoiler: spoilered for size (click to show/hide)

On top of that, being at the bottom of the ocean is different than swimming on top. You have a lot of pressure weighing down on you.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 01:03:32 am by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 14, 2013, 12:02:09 am »

Wow, those suits are designed to create oxygen out of the sea water!

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 14, 2013, 01:05:28 am »

Quote from: How ISS works
"The primary source of oxygen will be water electrolysis, followed by O2 in a pressurized storage tank," said Jay Perry, an aerospace engineer at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center working on the Environmental Control and Life Support Systems (ECLSS) project. ECLSS engineers at Marshall, at the Johnson Space Center and elsewhere are developing, improving and testing primary life support systems for the ISS.

Source: http://science1.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2000/ast13nov_1/

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 14, 2013, 04:33:05 am »

Quote from: How ISS works
"The primary source of oxygen will be water electrolysis, followed by O2 in a pressurized storage tank," said Jay Perry, an aerospace engineer at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center working on the Environmental Control and Life Support Systems (ECLSS) project. ECLSS engineers at Marshall, at the Johnson Space Center and elsewhere are developing, improving and testing primary life support systems for the ISS.

Source: http://science1.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2000/ast13nov_1/
Hadn't though of it like that before. Also, that's really cool.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 15, 2013, 07:53:40 pm »

Okay. Just found a great free GIF recorder, called GifCam. After I get through the update backlog, I'm going to try to record some action scenes with it for the LP. Hopefully it helps with the combat imagery.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 15, 2013, 07:58:58 pm »

Okay. Just found a great free GIF recorder, called GifCam. After I get through the update backlog, I'm going to try to record some action scenes with it for the LP. Hopefully it helps with the combat imagery.
All right, I'll be able to tell what's going on!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 15, 2013, 08:04:18 pm »

All right, I'll be able to tell what's going on!
It'll certainly help me when I'm going through the images after a fight.
"Hmm...who got that kill? Wait...when did the entire map explode?"
And it means I can nab death shots if I leave it on during the alien turns.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 15, 2013, 09:12:26 pm »

Short update, and no GIFs yet, but they'll come, don't worry.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 20, 2013, 03:55:28 am »

Blurgh. Wanna know why I haven't been updating? I'm kinda sick right now, as in look at the screen for too long and my eyes hurt sick. It is one hell of a cold. I'll put an update out as soon as I recover, but I just can't sit down at a computer long enough right now.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 20, 2013, 05:34:07 am »

Tis fine, take as long as you need until you recover
It's FEF, not FEOF

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 20, 2013, 10:54:37 am »

Hope you get better soon, man.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-Creator of Woven Worlds Productions!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 20, 2013, 06:03:22 pm »

Get well soon!

Also, character.

Name: Jixiu
Weapon: Whatever he absent-mindedly grabs on the way to the sub.((AKA random))
Personality: Tends to ramble on and on, especially when they encounter/kill a new alien type or get a new alien weapon. Not exactly annoying, but he does tend to go on and on about all the little details about how something works. Very absent minded, and will kill aliens without even reacting sometimes.
Funding rebels because seriously, fuck those guys.
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29