Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29

Author Topic: Let's Play X-COM: Terror from the Deep-We're all gonna die!  (Read 38356 times)

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
Let's Play X-COM: Terror from the Deep-We're all gonna die!
« on: April 07, 2013, 07:05:45 pm »

Hello and welcome to X-COM: Terror from the Deep!
Now updating every other day!

For the uninitiated, TFTD is a sort of mission pack sequel to the original X-COM: UFO Defense (or UFO: Enemy Unknown outside the US).
It uses the same engine, except it takes place underwater and the final boss is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh. It's also harder than the original. Way harder. See, in the original X-COM, there was a bug that set the difficulty to beginner, no matter what was selected.
Microprose received complaints about this, and they adjusted the difficulty of TFTD accordingly. It is insanely hard. So, here are the specs for the game.
I will run it in DOSBox on Windows 7. No mods or extensions.
I will be taking requests for soldier names and weapons. If you don't know the weapons, you can take a look here. http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Weapons_(TFTD)
Look under standard weapons.
Requests will be as follows:
Soldier Name
Preferred Weapon
Soldier Personality (for battlefield chatter)
So, let's get started, shall we? First order of business is to find a base location. So, where should we start?

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 09:04:17 pm by GentlemanRaptor »
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play X-COM: Terror from the Deep-We're all gonna die!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 07:40:16 pm »

Good luck with the LP.

Soldier Name: Blomberg
Preferred Weapon: Any
Soldier Personality: Cautious, not excessively chatty

I never was that good with base placing in TFTD, I'll toss my vote in with anything that gives us a decent funding nation coverage.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 08:20:40 pm »

Thanks.
Oh, forgot to say this. If you have a preference for the name of the base, put it in with your vote as well.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 11:02:49 pm »

Soldier Name:Bruce Thomson
Preferred Weapon: Any
Soldier Personality: Plays the bravado a bit, willing to be a heroic sacrifice, but will run faster than anyone else if everyone can get out.

Start in the U.k. Scotland if possible.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 11:56:36 pm »

Soldier Name: Hawkwood
Preferred Weapon: Jet Harpoon, then work my way up Gauss then... ohhh sonic!? that sounds fun. I am also fond of having a grenade or similar explosive handy if possible.
Soldier Personality (for battlefield chatter)
Semi-cautious, will explore but needs at least one or two others to cover his back. (I always tended to favor 3-man teams in the original x-com).
Willing to self-sacrifice to save another team-member, or at least go down in a blaze of glory.

Chryssalid and zombies from the first war scare him.

- As for a base, if its under water only... Bermuda Triangle!

Overall I'm not very familiar with TFTD, so this should be interesting. I suppose i should also prepare a eulogy for character since this sounds like it is more brutal then the first game was.

Here lies Deoloth,
His face was eaten by a squid, on his first mission, as he was buckling his seat belt.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 01:49:49 am by deoloth »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 12:36:17 am »

Soldier name: Xantalos
Preferred Weapon: Hydro-Jet Cannon
Chatter Personality: Lt. Kilgore style. He loves the smell of dead aliums in the morning.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 12:55:08 am »

I'm a noob to this series, still playing through Enemy Unknown (loving it. No spoilers please!)

Soldier Name: Cesare
Preferred Weapon: Melee, will use anything more pragmatic in other situations though
Chatter Personality: The quiet one
Nationality: Mexican, if possible
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 04:22:17 pm »

Update will be up later, sorry for the delay. It's almost ready.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 05:35:29 pm »

X-COM: Terror from the Deep Intro - Watch this!

Salvage Chief's Log: January 1st, 2040

We lost a good man yesterday. Jake went out in one of our Barracudas to investigate a ship sinking under mysterious circumstances, and we lost
all contact with him afterwards. He will be missed. However, his death is only the latest in mysterious sea-related incidents. Apparently the
aliens from 1999 sent a message to their buddies under the sea, and now they're attacking us. As the last remaining outpost of X-COM, we have
been authorized to combat the aliens in any way we see fit. I don't know how, though. We don't have any veterans, and poor Hawkwood is terrified
of Chryssalids. God, I hope they can't breathe underwater. Anyway, we're working out of this base:

First order of business is to purchase a most useful thing: a Coelacanth, which is basically an underwater tank, and its ammo, 30 rounds.

I also purchased two Thermal Tasers. Basically, they freeze hostile aliens for transport back to Reqiuem, our home away from home in the Bermuda Triangle. However, as the name suggests, they are melee only. Fortunately Cesare enjoys hitting things with sticks, so these should do fine.
Oh, one more purchase not pictured-High Explosive ammo for Xantalos' Hydro-Jet Cannon. That bad boy fires full auto magnesium fuelled mini-torpedoes. Should be a lot of fun for him when x-ray gets in his sights.

Next up is base expansion.

This was designed to be a salvage facility, not a base of operations for a strike team, so we need some new facilities. I ordered living space and storage to be constructed. In addition, I ordered an alien containment facility constructed. We're gonna need a place to interrogate aliens, after all. Finally, on the far right, is the longer-range sonar that I ordered. That will enable X-COM to detect aliens in a wider range around the base.

Up next is research. Our scientists have leads on some more powerful weapon technology, which they've dubbed "Gauss Technology".

Apparently it will fire accelerated particle beams at the enemy. Well, anything that can kill them better is good in my book.

Oh good, shipments have arrived!

The Coelacanth and its ammo arrived as well.

Research complete!

Saturday, January 10th: First hostile contact detected.

Triton-1 is deployed to the landing site

The troops are briefed

and deployed.

So. Ideas? Tactics? Other thoughts?

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 06:40:39 pm »

Oh boy. TFTD. Certainly a hard game, not a fan of the original base layout though, so make sure you can defend that thing well in the ridiculously common base defense missions.

As for tactics...
Operate in groups of two, always make sure they're evenly spread and can see and shoot what the other can see.
Was never a fan of the Coelacanth. It can withstand all sonic pistol shots from the front and the rifle frankly will do nearly none.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 06:55:59 pm »

[Noob advice, disregard if stupid]
For any species we need captured to get research goodies, send stunner in taking cover behind tank.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 07:05:38 pm »

Never got around to playing TFTD, but I always like X-Com LPs.

Soldier: Master Manta
Weapon style: Sniper
Chatter style: Probably overly cautious. (S)He lives in dread of ambushes and alien grenades from the darkness.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 07:09:52 pm »

Soldier Name: Joe Bridger
Preferred Weapon: Heavy- Autocannons, Blaster Launchers, etc.
Soldier Personality: Old war vet. Tends to ramble on about 'Nam. He is almost suicidally zealous, and if he sees an alien he will start shouting a constant stream of insults at it.

EDIT: Accidentally used the UFO Defense names, but you know what I mean.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 07:12:52 pm by Remuthra »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 07:13:17 pm »

I can't offer any advice except be careful.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 07:16:24 pm »

You want to keep your soldiers spread out enough to not get murdered by an explosive, but you want to have as many people shooting at one alien as possible.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29