Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24

Author Topic: BM XL: Miner's Mafia (Scumteam Wins!)  (Read 44909 times)

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BM XL: Miner's Mafia (Full)
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2013, 06:19:14 pm »

You and I both actually.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2013, 06:22:27 pm »

Griff: ...this better not be me your hinting at
Griff is probably talking about himself (and the other newbies, yourself included) that didn't BM.

NEVER take anything said in these threads personally.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2013, 08:13:25 pm »

Griff: ...this better not be me your hinting at
Griff is probably talking about himself (and the other newbies, yourself included) that didn't BM.

NEVER take anything said in these threads personally.
This is good advice :P

You not joining a BM at first isn't a bad thing, RC, nor is that a bad thing to others who have had the wish to do so. (Do take these things personally, but not in a way that would completely or subtly influence your life...) With the personal part being how your mindset is oriented in forum Mafia. It is different from RL mafia...but I've never played any of Mafia in real life anyway XD

God Speed newbies!

Spectr

• Bay Watcher
  • Watching Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2013, 10:44:35 pm »

Thank you!
I just decided to join on a whim.
Word

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2013, 11:35:28 pm »

So. Here you are. A thousand feet underground, trapped with 9 people. 2 of whom are out to kill you. "Well" One of you speaks out suddenly "Let's get on with it. Who do we think are the killers. That's the only way we're getting out of this mess." Nine heads nod. The one who spoke scratches a rough board onto a wall. "We vote. Losers get killed and we search their stuff. I want to leave."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day will end at 16/04/2013 (DD/MM/YYYY) at 18:00 GMT. There are 72:00 hours left.

Messages have been sent and the game is on! Good luck.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2013, 11:52:39 pm »

Welcome to Mafia newbs. I too am one of you and I shall use an IC voice when I am offering advice that pertains to mechanics or scumhunting tips. [[This is IC voice. Everything in these brackets is true. Other than that I AM playing the game with you.]] I'm not one for long speeches. [[Remember it's easier for people to understand you if you make brief posts with verification rather than a novel of ramblings.]]

The most important thing is this: Have fun and learn. If you lose use that as a learning experience.

The first thing I encourage you to do is to ask questions. Secondly you may remember a set of links in the OP [original post] that gave a list of hints, tips, tricks, and assorted information. Read that. Already read it? Read it again. Trust me, that section of the OP will help you quite a bit. Usually I would open my games by asking everyone a ton of questions but it is late. I shall offer more advice in the future.

[[Have fun]]
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2013, 11:53:42 pm »

Well, well, two games at once now.

Deathsword: What do you think of the thought that's been tossed around about switching the Cop with a Jailer?  How do you think that this would change the game?

Spectr: I've not played with you before! (that's actually true about a lot of people but w/e)  Awesome!  So what do you think the most epic scum game played here was?

Okami No Rei: What do you think is the most informative part of the game for identifying scum?  What do you try to do to get this to happen?

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2013, 01:22:25 am »

Okami No Rei: What do you think is the most informative part of the game for identifying scum?
Theories.  Looking at the theories that players present can give a good deal of insight into how they're thinking about the game.  I especially like to look for the bits of information that they take for granted in building those theories, because it's a clear indicator if they're assuming something that Scum would know but Town shouldn't.  This is also a subtle way to find power-roles and confirm Town.
What do you try to do to get this to happen?
Get people hypothesizing.  This makes it a late-stage RVS tactic, since everyone needs content to process before theories start forming.

swordsmith04 - Swords will do you little good here.  Much better to be a smith of Words.  Tell me, will you craft your words with the same cunning you reserve for your blades?  Can we expect from you many cutting remarks, piercing witticisms, and eloquent ripostes?  Or, perhaps you are indeed a smith of swords, and some among us will feel the bite of your steel in the night.
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2013, 02:47:48 am »

Okami:
Do you have a preferred shortening or is Okami fine?

Theories.  Looking at the theories that players present can give a good deal of insight into how they're thinking about the game.  I especially like to look for the bits of information that they take for granted in building those theories, because it's a clear indicator if they're assuming something that Scum would know but Town shouldn't.  This is also a subtle way to find power-roles and confirm Town.

It could just be that it's very late over here, but how does the linked post demonstrate that Max White is town?  I probably had to be there, but I'm not seeing what MW's assumption was that he wouldn't have were he scum.  Could you clarify a bit further?

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2013, 05:13:41 am »

[[Please try to keep your questions relevant to the game. Asking "What's your favorite level in Super Mario Brothers?" is much less helpful [see: Not at all] than asking something such as "In situation X how would you react and why?"]]
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2013, 07:55:04 am »

Griffionday:
It is N1, and you are the scum roleblocker. There are two players you are debating over roleblocking, a lurking player or an active player. Who do you chose to roleblock?
RangerCado:
It is N1, and you are a vanilla mafioso. There are two players you are debating over killing, a lurking player who has a few cases against you or an active player who has not gotten a read off of you yet. Who do you choose to kill?
Imperial Guardsman:
It is N1, and you are the cop. There are two players you are debating over investigating, a lurking player and an active yet scummy player. Who do you choose to inspect?
swordsmith04:
It is N1, and you are the doctor. There are two players you are debating over investigating, a lurking player but is solid when he posts, or a more active player from whom you have a more null-tell on. Who do you chose to inspect?
Spectr:
It is D1, and you are a vanilla townie. There are two players you are debating over putting the tie-breaking vote on, a lurking player and an active yet scummy player. Who do you choose to lynch?
Okami No Rei:
It is D1, and you are the scum roleblocker. There are two play styles you are debating over using, a slightly more lurky playstyle to avoid attention, or a more active play style in which you are more likely to slip up. Which one do you choose?
Nerjin:
It is LyLo, and you are a vanilla townie. There are two players who are both suspicious of you, as you were lurking most of the game. What do you say to divert their suspicion?
Deathsword:
It is LyLo and you are a vanilla mafioso. There are two players who are both suspicion of you, as you were lurking most of the game. What do you say to divert their suspicion?

Aaaaaaand I think that's everyone.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2013, 08:09:31 am »

Borno: i would probably kill the one with no cases on me if they had few people after them. Killing the one with cases, although lurking, can just seem suspicious. Although, if no body is taking their supicions with a grain of salt, then i would consider that person more. How about you in the same situation?
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2013, 08:29:20 am »

Unvote
RangerCado:

Is that all you have for RVS? A single question which was someone else's turned around? Seems like lazy mafia to me. Anyway, I would probably kill the lurker in this situation, as trying to discern who is mafia through the NKs in complete WIFOM and is discouraged by the ICs.

Spectr

• Bay Watcher
  • Watching Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2013, 08:31:47 am »

Spectr:
It is D1, and you are a vanilla townie. There are two players you are debating over putting the tie-breaking vote on, a lurking player and an active yet scummy player. Who do you choose to lynch?
I would probably vote the scummy player as he would probably have more evidence against him. Is lurking evidence against someone?
Spectr: I've not played with you before! (that's actually true about a lot of people but w/e)  Awesome!  So what do you think the most epic scum game played here was?
I look forward to playing with you! Honestly,  I haven't really kept track of any games! I have always been at least a little interested though. What are some of you favourites, if you don't mind my asking.

Imperial Guardian when trying to find scum what are the telltale signs you look for?
Word

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2013, 10:19:18 am »

{Hello Newbies, this will be my IC voice. I will never lie to you while using it, even if it puts me at a disadvantage in-game. We are currently in Random Vote Stage, here we ask questions to others (and answer the questions asked to us) and throw around random votes, as you can clearly see in the posts above. Remember that you can use these questions to get better reads on other players, so don't ask about meaningless things. The point of RVS is to get the game going, otherwise there would be nothing to talk about. Keep in mind you don't have to ask a question to everyone, but sitting around doing absolutely nothing is bad and will get you killed.}

Spectr, have you ever played any other kind of mafia before (real-life, for example)?

Ranger, are you going to ask real question or just turn other's around?

Nerjin, are you scum?

Imperial Guardsman, how do you plan to hunt scum?

Griff
Deathsword: What do you think of the thought that's been tossed around about switching the Cop with a Jailer?  How do you think that this would change the game?
Actually, it's the doctor that has been suggested to be swapped with the cop. This adds a certain danger to roleclaiming cop, since if the jailor protects you, you won't be able to investigate anyone.

Borno
Deathsword:
It is LyLo and you are a vanilla mafioso. There are two players who are both suspicion of you, as you were lurking most of the game. What do you say to divert their suspicion?
Instead of trying to come up with an excuse for lurking, I would instead find out something scummy one of those two players did, and, thus, try to convince the other one.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24