Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24

Author Topic: BM XL: Miner's Mafia (Scumteam Wins!)  (Read 44911 times)

Spectr

• Bay Watcher
  • Watching Bays
    • View Profile
Re: BM XL: Miner's Mafia (Full)
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2013, 11:13:23 am »

{Hello Newbies, this will be my IC voice. I will never lie to you while using it, even if it puts me at a disadvantage in-game. We are currently in Random Vote Stage, here we ask questions to others (and answer the questions asked to us) and throw around random votes, as you can clearly see in the posts above. Remember that you can use these questions to get better reads on other players, so don't ask about meaningless things. The point of RVS is to get the game going, otherwise there would be nothing to talk about. Keep in mind you don't have to ask a question to everyone, but sitting around doing absolutely nothing is bad and will get you killed.}

Spectr, have you ever played any other kind of mafia before (real-life, for example)?

Yeah, i have played mafia in real-life, but not online.
Word

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2013, 11:13:59 am »

Borno + Deathsword: I was rushing as i had to leave for school. I'm now posting in school.

Nerjin: The mafia are down one and you have 3 suspects. One has been lerking a bit, one has appeared somewhat scummy but not by much, and one has had 2 people suspicious of him die. Who would you lynch and why?

Swordsmith: Your the last mafia and you have 2 targets to lynch. you have reason to believe one is the doctor. The first has played conservatively but has made several good points, the other has been aggresive most game but tends to get off track. Who do you think is the doctor and should they be lynched or NKed?

DeathSword: The Cop was NKed and your at LyLo. You believe there is a godfather present among the remaining two others. The cop was supicious of both but targeted one specifically. Who do you lynch and why? (the targeted or the suspected)
Will post more later, need to get some S.S. done.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2013, 11:49:35 am »

DeathSword: The Cop was NKed and your at LyLo. You believe there is a godfather present among the remaining two others. The cop was supicious of both but targeted one specifically. Who do you lynch and why? (the targeted or the suspected)
Will post more later, need to get some S.S. done.
If there is a godfather, then the cop's results are not reliable. Thus one should focus on analyzing the posts of other players than speculating on wheter or not the cop's results were accurate, ESPECIALLY on lylo.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2013, 12:41:37 pm »

borno:
It is N1, and you are the scum roleblocker. There are two players you are debating over roleblocking, a lurking player or an active player. Who do you chose to roleblock?
It depends on if the lurking player seemed like he was still around or not.  If so there is a chance his ability went to his head and so might be a power role, otherwise role-blocking the active player makes more sense as they would likely have the better read on who is scum and so be able to target better.

You are a cowardly doctor; when do you protect yourself rather than others?

Spectr:
Well, Solifuge was BRILLIANT here, he probably would have completely fooled everyone if quoting pm's was not allowed. I love how well he managed to fabricate his story, and keep it up for DAYS.  (Yes, I admire a good liar, it's a difficult skill).  Also these are good reading.

What do you see as the primary differences between RL mafia and online mafia?

Deathsword:
Right, my bad.

Wasn't replacing the Doctor with a Jailer suggested as a way to level the playing field and make the game more difficult for scum?  How does this work in your opinion?

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2013, 12:55:32 pm »

For your convenience:
Cowardly Doctor (town; rare; 4+ players): You can protect other players from kills. Each protection stops one kill, and lasts for one night. You can also hide once, making you immune to all actions that night. Actions: protect hide (1 use)
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2013, 12:58:50 pm »

For your convenience:
Cowardly Doctor (town; rare; 4+ players): You can protect other players from kills. Each protection stops one kill, and lasts for one night. You can also hide once, making you immune to all actions that night. Actions: protect hide (1 use)

I assumed the link would interest people.  I really don't want a "How would you play all possible permutations of the basic roles for all possible parties" question again.

Spectr

• Bay Watcher
  • Watching Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2013, 01:50:24 pm »

Spectr:
Well, Solifuge was BRILLIANT here, he probably would have completely fooled everyone if quoting pm's was not allowed. I love how well he managed to fabricate his story, and keep it up for DAYS.  (Yes, I admire a good liar, it's a difficult skill).  Also here

I think that online mafia takes place over a longer time frame (obviously ) and i think it is more involved than rl mafia
Word

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2013, 03:14:26 pm »

Spectr:
Well, Solifuge was BRILLIANT here, he probably would have completely fooled everyone if quoting pm's was not allowed. I love how well he managed to fabricate his story, and keep it up for DAYS.  (Yes, I admire a good liar, it's a difficult skill).  Also here

I think that online mafia takes place over a longer time frame (obviously ) and i think it is more involved than rl mafia
What's up with the changes to the quoted material?

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2013, 05:22:19 pm »

swordsmith04 - Swords will do you little good here.  Much better to be a smith of Words.  Tell me, will you craft your words with the same cunning you reserve for your blades?  Can we expect from you many cutting remarks, piercing witticisms, and eloquent ripostes?  Or, perhaps you are indeed a smith of swords, and some among us will feel the bite of your steel in the night.

Heh. I'm not exactly Legendary at either, but I'm hoping I won't sound like a complete idiot. Killing people doesn't help me, even if I could make a sword capable of cutting something. More people there are to dig, the better, obviously.

swordsmith04:
It is N1, and you are the doctor. There are two players you are debating over investigating, a lurking player but is solid when he posts, or a more active player from whom you have a more null-tell on. Who do you chose to inspect?

It's the cop who inspects, not the doctor, isn't it? I'll answer both, I guess.
Hmm. I suppose I'd save the null, as the scum is probably not going to target a lurker on day one. The active player is either scum or town, and the scum know which the null is. I'm either protecting an active town-member or wasting my N1 save, which is the least important. I've got a good chance of the null being town, anyway.

Swordsmith: Your the last mafia and you have 2 targets to lynch. you have reason to believe one is the doctor. The first has played conservatively but has made several good points, the other has been aggresive most game but tends to get off track. Who do you think is the doctor and should they be lynched or NKed?

The aggressive one would be the easier to lynch, as they don't actually focus on a target. The conservative would then be NKed. Which one was the doctor is irrelevant.

Nerjin, why haven't you asked any questions yet? Are you waiting for something?

Okami No Rei, same to you. Why haven't you questioned anyone else yet? (Besides me, I mean.)

DeathSword, do you prefer to be town or mafia? How do you play as the team you least prefer?

Spectr

• Bay Watcher
  • Watching Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2013, 06:32:27 pm »

Spectr:

What's up with the changes to the quoted material?

I typed it up on my phone and it got mangled, sorry about that.
Word

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2013, 08:01:43 pm »

Spectr
I typed it up on my phone and it got mangled, sorry about that.

Ah no worries.

Swordsmith

Hmm. I suppose I'd save the null, as the scum is probably not going to target a lurker on day one. The active player is either scum or town, and the scum know which the null is. I'm either protecting an active town-member or wasting my N1 save, which is the least important. I've got a good chance of the null being town, anyway.
Why is the N1 save the least important?

What do you think the difference in play between a Godfather and a regular Mafiasio is?

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2013, 08:06:43 pm »

Captain Ford:
For your convenience:
Wait, so I went searching through the roles for ages just so I could be supplied it in a few seconds on the forums?!  >:(
swordsmith04:
swordsmith04:
It is N1, and you are the doctor. There are two players you are debating over investigating, a lurking player but is solid when he posts, or a more active player from whom you have a more null-tell on. Who do you chose to inspect?

It's the cop who inspects, not the doctor, isn't it? I'll answer both, I guess.
Whoops, I meant the cop that protects. I knew that I managed to fluff something up in all those questions.
RangerCado:
Borno + Deathsword: I was rushing as i had to leave for school. I'm now posting in school.
Fair enough. Unvote.
Griffionday:
borno:
It is N1, and you are the scum roleblocker. There are two players you are debating over roleblocking, a lurking player or an active player. Who do you chose to roleblock?
It depends on if the lurking player seemed like he was still around or not.  If so there is a chance his ability went to his head and so might be a power role, otherwise role-blocking the active player makes more sense as they would likely have the better read on who is scum and so be able to target better.

You are a cowardly doctor; when do you protect yourself rather than others?
I would protect myself right after I'd claimed. I think I would claim on MyLo or LyLo to give the town another day to catch scum/the cop another day to investigate, hoping that the mafia would target me.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2013, 09:06:06 pm »

I realize I promised questions… Well I feel it’s more important to answer ones directed at you first so here goes:

Nerjin:
It is LyLo, and you are a vanilla townie. There are two players who are both suspicious of you, as you were lurking most of the game. What do you say to divert their suspicion?

Difficult to say. It really depends on how well they played. If they played poorly I'd search their posts and try to convince the other that #2 was more scummy than I. If they had played well... I'd simply try the above while kicking myself for lurking. I sincerely try not to do that too often.

Nerjin, are you scum?

No, I am a miner.

Nerjin: The mafia are down one and you have 3 suspects. One has been lurking a bit, one has appeared somewhat scummy but not by much, and one has had 2 people suspicious of him die. Who would you lynch and why?

First of all I fixed the spelling of Lurking. Just so you all don't think I tampered with the quote [[Tampering with quotes to make another person look bad = Very bad idea. I personally would demand an insta-lynch of someone who does that.]] But onto the question itself:

In that instance I would lynch the one who appears scummy. Then the one who has been lurking. Then the one who had the "suspicious people" die. As to why:

1. Scummy is scummy no matter what quantity it is. Unless I have a VERY good reason I will almost always be voting the person who has acted most scummy.

2. I don't like lurkers. I'm guilty of it from time to time but they don't add anything to the game and actually make it harder to do anything. So if I have no other choice I will vote lurkers.

3. Having suspicious people die as a reason for a lynch is just relying on WIFOM. "People who suspected him died." is easily countered with "What if scum killed them to make X look scummy?" So yeah. 3 would be unlikely to get my vote for just that.

Nerjin, why haven't you asked any questions yet? Are you waiting for something?

I've been busy recently. Sorry. Unfortunately this weekend doesn't look like it'll be filled with my witty-ness-ess-ness. But hopefully this post will fill you with questions.

Now onto my own questions:

Griffionday: What is the most important town power role in this set up and why?

RangerCado: What is the most scummy thing a person can do and why?

borno: I’ve seen you around before. Do you feel previous experience has prepared you for future mafia games? The previous is yes/no so have another question: What is the single most important piece of information you’ve learned in mafia so far and why?

Imperial Guardsman: Your skills seem a little high up for a mining job… If you had a power role for either mafia or town which role would you want the most? Why?

Okami No Rei: I’ve also seen you around… Who do you feel is the biggest threat in this game if they were a scum? Who would be the biggest boon as town? This excludes me or Deathsword. I’m curious as to your reads on the other players so far.

swordsmith04: You’re scum and one player seems uncomfortably close to figuring you out. However he has also been dropping a few scum-tells himself. How do you react?

Spectr: You’re scum and have been playing very well. Your partner… not so much. He’s dropping tells left and right. How do you react?

Nerjin: I am me… I have no questions.

Deathsword: You’re an IC too. Nifty. From how the game has been played what are you feelings on the new players? Your fellow IC? Yourself?

Anyone who wants to answer a hypothetical question: This is a simple thing I’m curious about. I won’t expect an answer though as it’s not too relevant. You can stop reading now: Day 4 and no night kills have occurred. How do you react? All players are fairly active.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2013, 09:57:19 pm »

Nerjin

Woo I like these questions.

Griffionday: What is the most important town power role in this set up and why?
Doctor, they're useful until they're killed.  While cop is only useful until he finds his target.
The doctor is also less likely to clear the godfather of suspicion (the cop can move someone from 2/9 to 1/8, but might accidentally clear the GF)

Anyone who wants to answer a hypothetical question: This is a simple thing I’m curious about. I won’t expect an answer though as it’s not too relevant. You can stop reading now: Day 4 and no night kills have occurred. How do you react? All players are fairly active.
Who is alive in the scenerio you were thinking of? 
Let's assume lynches have been occurring each day.
If both scum and the cop are alive.  The game is technically in mylo, and so calling on the cop to role claim seems to make sense, as you might be able to clear a few people.  (Plus this might give you a confirmed townie assuming there is no counter claim.)

If the scum are alive but the cop is dead, a no-lynch should possibly be considered. 

If one scum is dead, play as normal; comment on the prowess of the doctor.

However if the doc has been dead for a while, lynching the players who are the most overconfident might be in order, as the scum are just being a twit.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2013, 11:40:30 pm »

Swordsmith

snip
Why is the N1 save the least important?

What do you think the difference in play between a Godfather and a regular Mafiasio is?

N1 save is the least important in my mind because there are more members on N1 than there are on subsequent nights. Whether the save is made N1 or not, the balance of town to scum is still largely in favor of town, but the longer the game goes the less town members there are, and the more pressure there is to get the save right. It's not that the N1 save isn't important, it's just that the later night saves are more important.

Unless you're trying to trick the cop, the playstyle between a godfather and vanilla mafioso would be largely the same, I think. The godfather has a bit more room for being bold because a cop inspect will show them as town, but we know that there might be a godfather, so the cop's inspect isn't enough proof to confirm town. In the end, being the godfather should be a perk rather than a deciding factor in your playstyle.

swordsmith04: You’re scum and one player seems uncomfortably close to figuring you out. However he has also been dropping a few scum-tells himself. How do you react?

Attacking my questioner will only confirm to them that I'm scum. Even I do manage to get the town to lynch the guy, he'll flip town and that will draw attention to me. It's really a question of 'Do I want to die now, or tomorrow?' The answer would be 'Let's take a townie with me.' Ideally, I'd argue effectively enough that everyone would assume the scummy townie had a bad read, but I don't believe for a second that I'm capable of diverting attention like that at my current skill level.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24