Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: Evolved: Up the Ladder  (Read 12999 times)

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy that loves nukes too much
    • View Profile
Re: Evolved: Up the Ladder
« Reply #180 on: April 14, 2013, 10:37:09 am »

Hm... look like I won't be able to explore that much. I'm stuck helping out a village of strangers... not that I mind too much just not exactly what I wanted to do.

"Well all I need is a weapon... maybe something long range since if I get close I got my freezing powers. Other then that I don't need much in the way of equipment that i can think of." Zerol says about his equipment.

Then the stuff regarding the village, "I agree with rallying people first. Mostly when we do put up a barricade, we'll have more people to help out."

Help warn and rally the villagers while staying away from the tall guys with shiny guns.
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 14, 2013, 10:50:02 am »

Leadership mantle upon an Angel's shoulders.

...Weird, that dream makes a bit more sense to me, but its too...hmm.

Half Turn Action: Do as I said a while ago - get the payment for the armory and buy the things I said before...

Kira shuddered at the thoughts relayed by her friends as they told of the...dead-things as they moved up to the leader. Now, there were these new things - less dead, and more of a shale-ish glow. Were they men from the mountains, or a people who made use of the earth itself to guard their hides?

That would be pretty useful.

"Like I said earlier," Kira piped up, "I'll be heading back to the Armory with our friend for the payment. Tell me what we need, we've about fifty fingers to spend. Also, why can't we just warn or request aid from the Ac-quisitioners? If they want to settle here, so be it. Propose to the leader that they work to aid the locals of the land. The leader seems a...ravishing man- I mean, you know, authoritarian and all that. Charismatic? Yeah."

Propose!

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 14, 2013, 11:08:52 am »

((just did a recount, we got three parts pouches, but the contents of the first two was never specified. the third one was from Yern, and had 60 fingers worth inside. assuming the other two are worth the same amount, then we have a total of (60x3(pouches) + 50(Yern's body) - 4(two meals)) 226 fingers to work with, not 50
reposting the price list so far:
meal: 2
fur armor: 10
crossbows, slings, and swords: 10-15 depending on what they're made of
shooter (only 1 in stock): 30
cibus balls(10) : 5
planteel (can): 2
bags: 10
rope: 5
cloth and suturing tools (kit): 5
tent (with complimentary waterskin): 20
potion reagents: 5

no clothes or shoes available
our weapons have no sell value

known potions:
Sinne Mordor. It apparantly turns off nerves cells for a while, leaving the person painless. It also numbs other senses, like sight and hearing.
Paccator's Bliss. It enhances all the bodies sense, making everything look cleaner and more surreal, everything sounds like beautiful music, and even the air tastes like sugar. It also makes the mind sharper and quicker to react.

@GM: are we going to keep track of ammo? there are no ammo counts or prices listed, which makes it hard to decide if ranged weapons are worth it or not.

EDIT:
current planning:
erin -> overfly potental battlegrounds, scout out approch paths, chokepoints, vantage points, terrain hazards, etc. specifically check the village access points, including the south side that their leader wanted barricaded, and check the canyons themselves. it may be easier to block the paths up than to defend the village entry points.
Kira -> shopping for everyone, barricade afterwards
inter -> negotiate with Aqusitioners, get them to join us in the defense. cordinate with the village chieftain, and say that it is an opportunity to prove themselves to the people they want to make their neighbors. barricade afterwards.
nectarius -> warn villagers, organize them to help when fighting happens.
zerol ->warn villagers, organize them to help when fighting happens.
marcus -> start barricade
clair -> negotiate with Aqusitioners, make sure they can't isolote intir. barricade afterwards.

while barricading, make sure we have ways to shoot over and through it, and make sure it is difficult/impossible to climb up the outside. do not be afraid to use rooftops as firing platforms, and wall up doors and windows on the buildings we're integrating into the barricade that face outwards. if that would make the house interior inaccessible, make new openings in the building to use as access points. also set up elevated walkways from house to house throughout the village, designed to be removable, so we can retreat from rooftop to rooftop if they push past the barricade, and make them bleed for every inch of ground they take. if we have time and the chief lets us, also set up small interior barricades, that function more as chokepoints than proper walls. so that we have secondary and tertiary lines of defense throughout the village.

shopping list:
6x crossbows, get the good models. (90 fingers)
shooter (30 fingers, subtotal 120 fingers)
cloth and suturing kit (5 fingers, 125 subtotal)
three painkillers and three stimulants (30 fingers, 155 subtotal)
cibus balls (30) (15 fingers, 170 subtotal)
2x rope (10 fingers, 180 subtotal)
4x armor: (40 fingers, 220 subtotal)
3x planteel cans (6 fingers, 226 subtotal)

do folks agree with this? i dont want to railroad over people. the reason i'm sticking with ranged weapons is if we build our fortifications right this'll mostly be a ranged fight.

oh, and i can't find what kira's old shopping list was, although i might have simply passed over it without seeing it.
))
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 12:06:59 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 14, 2013, 12:31:19 pm »

An evolved with a smarmy grin on his face gives an over exaggerated bow to the group as he joins them. "By the order of king and lordship," he accents this with an also exaggerated encircling of two of his hands, "I am to aid you." With a flourish, he returns back to standing casually.

"I be called Marcus Hyde, although you can just call me Mark I suppose. Or Hyde. I've been called Jackal on one instance, although I didn't quite catch why. Either way, a pleasure to meet such fine travelers such as yourselves, a pleasure indeed." His tone seethes with politeness, his face wearing a tired look yet grinning all the same.

"As to what I can do to aid you, I've been called quite handy on certain occasions, a moniker I do not shirk. I am to aid you by whatever means you wish, so I shall. What need you of me? If I am to be hearing correctly... There is a hole in the wall, no? Monsters abroad, lacking defenses, hapless villagers abound... A terrible mixture, a terrible mixture indeed." His top two hand wring together as if in worry, although his face still houses the smile.

Once Jackal/Mark/Marcus/Hyde feels the gesture's message to be conveyed, his bottom to hands clap together in joy. "But we are here to fix that, no? Lets get to it then!"
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 05:42:59 pm by Xanmyral »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 14, 2013, 02:15:13 pm »

Sinne Mordor. It apparantly turns off nerves cells for a while, leaving the person painless. It also numbs other senses, like sight and hearing.
@_@

((I'm just hoping that's the gist of the effect...Because if your 'nerves' are turned off, you're basically a walking vegetable. No control over anything. Flop flop

Must be more affecting the pain receptors, or at least your cranial nerves... >_>))

@GM: are we going to keep track of ammo? there are no ammo counts or prices listed, which makes it hard to decide if ranged weapons are worth it or not.
((I'm betting he'd say no. The reason ranged weapons are more expensive is that they're ranged. If there's stuff like weaponry, we'd be all conservative on it - but then it would add to the fun. When it could also be easily used in a textual way instead. The reason is that we/the GM would have to take over the number/shots needed.

Also, no shopping list XP, I was just thinking 'armor, armor, and maybe that gun...and more armor for the endurance'. Tyvm Lenglon!))

Dear me, someone aiding us. That's...surprising.

Other than question the intentions of the new-evolved, Kira dropped all pretense of suspicion and smiled, welcoming the man. This was one of the times she could easily try out that 'try things in your life once, every life' or something along that line...Cursed sayings.

"Greetings to you too Marcus," she said as she introduced everyone to him in turn, "Erin over here is coordinating our defenses, we're mostly not from this part but on thanks to the villagers (because we were let in and all), we're helping the defense. Mutual survival, you'd understand. Talk with the others, I'm heading off to arm us."

((On that note, I love how you redid the char list Cheese! :D))
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 02:17:24 pm by Tiruin »

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 14, 2013, 04:13:37 pm »

"Bonjour, Madame." Marcus gives a tip of an imaginary hat towards the female evolved, and a nod towards the others as they are introduced in kind, smile still plastered on his face. "A pleasure to be working with you, that is assured. Best of luck, the merchants here can be quite, ah, shrewd. Do make sure you come back with all of your fingers, yes?" His smile widened as he made the comment, waving Kira off. The multi-armed evolved (how many exactly? I'm guessing four, but there's no specification in the sheet.) turned his attention to the younger female evolved. "You are Erin, are you not? I hear you are the brains of the operation, no? Then I am at your disposal for your work horse and planning needs, no doubt, no doubt at all. What do you plan to do then? I assume barricading that hole would be might helpful to fight off the yonder freaks, no?"
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 05:43:21 pm by Xanmyral »

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy that loves nukes too much
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 14, 2013, 05:28:14 pm »

That guy... He gives me a very creepy feeling with how he talks... Better I don't interact with him much since I don't wanna say anything mean since I have a habit of being blunt by being too honest.

"Hello there Marcus. I'm Zerol Cels. Glad to have some extra help. I'm gonna go help warn people now about the situration... so um... see ya." Zerol says to Marcus and then takes off from the rest of the group to warn people.
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 14, 2013, 09:27:46 pm »

((whelp, i guess i've waited long enough))
after spending some time lost in thought, Erin suddenly speaks up again and moves into action
"Ok, i'm going to fly over the areas we might end up fighting, i'll look to see if there's some terrain advantage we can get. Kira, shopping sounds like a good idea. could you pick up a set of crossbows for everyone, that shooter you mentioned, a suturing kit, the materials for some painkillers and stimulants, some armor for people, and some rope? oh, and some rations for us, I'd feel stupid if we ended up half starved for no reason. give the potion parts to Nec when you've got them, he knows how to use them. after you're done go help build the barricade please."
Erin next turns to Nectarius
"Nec, could you warn the villagers and try to get them somewhat organized? we need to make sure they join in the defense of their own village. Also, when Kira comes back, could you please make those painkillers and stimulants out of the materials she's bringing? we might end up needing them sooner rather than later."
Erin's next target is Marcus
"Marcus, we need to get that barricade your chief asked for up as soon as possible. how about you go get started. you can save a lot of time by integrating the existing buildings into the barricade's framework. try to make it hard to climb from the other side, and make sure we have routes up onto the nearby rooftops to use them as fireing platforms. also get some planks placed between roofs so our rooftop shooters will have a retreat route clear. they can just knock the boards down behind themselves after they cross. we need to have a defense in depth, so once the main barricade is up, set up some additional chokepoints and defensive barricades inside the village, and make sure our retreating rooftop shooters will have clear lines of fire to cover them. Hroki, please help him"
Erin next turns to Clair and the new guy who hasn't introduced himself yet
"You, i want you and Clair to go negotiate with the Aqusitioners, convince them that helping us defend the area is a good way to earn the acceptance of the locals. try to get the chief in on it. they look to have some nasty ranged weapons, that is perfect for this kind of defensive situation. stick together you two, and take care of each other. We dont know the Aqusitioners intentions yet and you're a lot safer in a pair than alone. Lets get moving everyone."
Erin then moves out and finds Zerol
"Zerol, make sure you dont just warn the villagers of the threat. you also need to convince them to be an active part of the village's defense. do what you can to make sure when the fighting starts they'll be standing together defending their homes. ok?"
having told everyone her plan, Erin next takes to the skies and scouts out the probable battlefield from above, telling Marcus of any possible design improvements she notices. she also checks for good vantage points to put sentries or snipers on. after helping Marcus design the barricade, Erin goes back to the canyons and checks if there are only one or two paths up, or if there are many. checking to see if it would be easier to block the paths up or to continue barricading the village. afterwards she returned to the village and reported her findings to the rest of the group, and helped finish the fortifications.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 14, 2013, 09:44:11 pm »

Marcus listens to Erin as she barks orders to the others, offering the occasional nod when she informs him of what she wishes him to do. "Right, right, so as I be seeing it, you want a barricade. Glad to hear, because I would of advised such in the first place, and in fact was what I advised, glad to see we're on the same page, glad to see and hear indeed. Now then, you need this built when? Hm..." Mark gazes up into the sky for a moment or two, his upper two hands resting behind his head while his lower two on his hips as if in thought although the same lazy, smarmy smirk adorned his face. "Tonight, I'd wager. Best of luck with that help then, such a constructional feat could only be produced by many arms, no chance without that, no indeed. Good thing I have spare then, no? As they say, Eye-Eye, Cap-Ey-Tan!" Hyde gives a faux-salute with the two of his left arms, before setting out to work on the barricade, whistling a jaunty tune to himself.

Jackal sets about building the barricade as best he can to the specifications. If this would be an instance to spend EP to select a die roll, I choose to spend three for a d8.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 09:49:21 pm by Xanmyral »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2013, 12:07:39 am »

"Ah well. Guess I can go around warning people."

Get the villagers together, warn them of Vague Dangers and Holes in Walls and indicate that they really should get weapons and get to defending and whatnot. Preferably together, should they fancy their lives.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 15, 2013, 02:25:31 am »

Go with the new guy and negotiate with the Aqusitioners
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 18, 2013, 09:01:30 am »

((Bumping Cheesecake :3

Note: 226 fingers))

Kira nodded and made her way to the armory, listing down the prices of what Erin said, along with those of the Armorer.
Quote from: Buy List
6x crossbows - best quality available [15] = (90 fingers) And complementary ammunition.
That Shooter (30 fingers, subtotal 120 fingers)
Cloth and Suturing kit (5 fingers, 125 subtotal)
three painkillers and three stimulants (30 fingers, 155 subtotal)
cibus balls (30) (15 fingers, 170 subtotal)
2x rope (10 fingers, 180 subtotal)
4x armor: (40 fingers, 220 subtotal)
3x planteel cans (226)
That's quite a lot to buy...including the Market. Better not try to haggle as it'd take up time.

...What are cibus balls?

Make haste to the armory, place down those purchases and then to the market. Warn the armorer and the barkeep, including the marketplace vendors about what was coming as said earlier by the leader/migrants.

Then if any time permits, head over to aid in the barricade building.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 18, 2013, 11:20:45 am »

...What are cibus balls?

They sell 10 cibus balls (balls of flesh wrapped in mottled grey flesh.) for 5 fingers. They're large, and fill the space of both of your palms. They fill your stomach, too.
((To kill two birds with one stone, cibus extract comes from the cibus plant. The "seeds" are actually embryos of the cibus. They are put in soil to gestate and grow into an animal. But since the soil is so unfertile, the embryo stops developing halfway and ends up as a dehydrated grey ball of premature flesh.))
((Ah, so eating cibus balls is kind of like eating fresh bean sprouts, except with animal fetuses?

Wait, is the cibus an animal or a plant?))
((They're an animal. I actually based it on balut. It's a Filipino snack where you allow a duck egg to fertilize halfway, then eat the egg with the duck inside.
((Why do they call it a cibus plant, then? And what exactly does it draw from the soil that is integral to its growth?))
((You know, proteins, vitamins. But since there are none, they just die and end up like balls of edible flesh. I just call them plants cause they grow like plants.))
((Well, plants actually draw nitrogen (and other things as well) from the soil and synthesize proteins from that. I'm not sure there are any in the soil that aren't inside soil-dwelling organisms. Proteins decompose and leave nitrogen compounds behind, which get caught in the soil as various nitrogen-containing ions (plants of the legume family have special bacteria in their root nodules that perform nitrogen fixation, aiding growth). So I don't think (and correct me if I'm wrong) that it's strictly possible for soil to be protein rich unless you bury a whole lot of corpses in it, and even that will last for a short while as the bacteria of the soil do their work. So unless you can move around like an earthworm and draw upon the resources of the dead matter recently fallen in the soil, it'd be a bit difficult to survive like that.

Not trying to maliciously poke holes, though, just pointing stuff out for possible rethinking.))
((They weren't created to survive. They're GM foods (geddit?  :P) created to feed the people with food. But yeah, thanks for the info!))

planteel (a kind of vegetarian mystery meat).

(( i hope that clears things up))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 18, 2013, 09:10:59 pm »

((Okay...I missed the bit where I came in, so could someone catch me up on what's happening? I wasn't paying enough attention at the time, evidently...))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 19, 2013, 01:33:04 am »

((@GWG: Basically Clair found zombie-things on the lower streets, then they told the chief. The chief sent you and Marcus to help the group to warn the villagers and build a barricade. Also, they're going shopping))

Map of the village entrance:

-------/__G___G___\----------------/__G___G___\--------
----------------------------------------------------------------

000                                LLL
++++          ++++                         ++++++                                               Key: E (Erin)                                               
+     +         +L    +                        +   Gz   +                                                      C (Clair)
+0   +         +L    +                        +          +                                                      N (Nectarius)
++++          ++++                         +          +                                                      K (Kira)
                                                       ++++++                                                     Z (Zerol)
++++                                                                                                                M (Marcus)
+E   +                                  E                                                                                                      (Inter)
+   E+                          C N K Z M I                                                                   Gz   (Gh'zul/Chieftain)
++++                                                                                                                (Guard)
                                                                                                                         E   (Villager)

Description: The northern part is a ditch with two walkways and two guards each, armed with spears and fur armor. The small squares are houses. The big square is the war hut. You guys are the colored letters in the middle. The east side is a cliff, where I didn't put anything. The south leads to the market, and the west is where the Aquisitioners are stationed. (Wow, this map took way more effort than expected!  :'( )
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16