Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 303248 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #2880 on: June 18, 2014, 01:48:57 pm »

Then flabbergasted I am, because that article is actually an amazingly apt description of how to contribute to the discussion. Remember, nobody but Graknorke and you are saying that men have nothing to contribute, only that their contributions aren't made from a position of authority.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: June 18, 2014, 01:50:58 pm »

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/assign-responsibility-and-authority

That isn't how business works either Bauglir.

It is how a dictatorship functions... but not a business.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: June 18, 2014, 01:56:04 pm »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: June 18, 2014, 01:58:13 pm »

It certainly isn't ad hominem to say that your arguments have issues and appeal to emotion is a perfectly valid argument technique.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: June 18, 2014, 01:58:54 pm »

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/assign-responsibility-and-authority

That isn't how business works either Bauglir.

It is how a dictatorship functions... but not a business.
I'm really confused. I'm saying that men aren't going to be in a position of authority in discussions about shit women have to deal with. I'm saying there's a relevant analogy to businesses because employees aren't in positions of authority to their bosses, by definition. Nevertheless, they have valuable contributions to make. You tell me that's not how businesses work, and link to articles that explain why that's exactly how businesses work?

I'm pretty sure that's what Vector was also getting at, too, but maybe I've misunderstood? I dunno.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: June 18, 2014, 02:00:46 pm »

Ad Hominem. Though more of an "Appeal to Emotion".

OK. You win. I'm literally crying with laughter here.

Anyway, in a futile attempt to revert to the last halfway productive conversation, a piece about 'strong' female characters in games. Some fun parts;
It seems that when you want to make a woman into a hero, you hurt her first. When you want to make a man into a hero, you hurt... also a woman first.
I'm far from the first person to criticize the focus on "strong" when it comes to female protagonists. As Sophia McDougall puts it in this New Statesman piece, "Sherlock Holmes gets to be brilliant, solitary, abrasive, Bohemian, whimsical, brave, sad, manipulative, neurotic, vain, untidy, fastidious, artistic, courteous, rude, a polymath genius. Female characters get to be Strong." Further, we seem to have problematic ideas of how women become Strong -- men break them, we assume.
Well-intentioned men sometimes chastise one another about sexism: "She could be your wife. She could be your daughter. Think about if someone did this to your girlfriend or your mom." How about just "she's a human being"? It's all part of a bigger problem, in that media, especially geek media, still too often only understands women in terms of their relationship to men. The question is never who is she, but what did they do to her.

There is still little exploration of how heroic qualities -- not necessarily "strength", but relatability, motivation, complexity -- in women can exist independently. There are still few roles for them other than catalyst for male revelation or victim defined by male abuse.
Also some interesting thoughts in parents in games there, notably how we've seen an uptick in 'dad games' but a lack of mothers.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: June 18, 2014, 02:03:22 pm »

I'm pretty sure that's what Vector was also getting at, too, but maybe I've misunderstood? I dunno.

Nope, you're good.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: June 18, 2014, 02:06:00 pm »

Then flabbergasted I am, because that article is actually an amazingly apt description of how to contribute to the discussion. Remember, nobody but Graknorke and you are saying that men have nothing to contribute, only that their contributions aren't made from a position of authority.
This isn't about experience determining who is right.  It's about who has the necessary information to even understand feminist subject matter.  That information is imposed on women more than men.
And other statements to the same effect. It's not about authority.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: June 18, 2014, 02:10:57 pm »

Look at all the articles and what they are saying... and that is that the Employees matter, that their opinions matter, that you must make them feel like they matter. A good boss isn't a dictator.

Business doesn't work the way you think it does unless you are working as a wage slave... but that is it, that is slavery.

Are Men employees or are they slaves? Certainly slaves with the ability to walk away... but which are they? Are they working for a non-profit organization or for Walmart?

Anyhow I am out fully now.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 02:15:36 pm by Neonivek »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: June 18, 2014, 02:30:02 pm »

For the record, I predict his last statement to be false.

Also for the record, I predict that walking out when people are showing you that you're wrong will be considered a 'dick move'.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #2891 on: June 18, 2014, 02:48:14 pm »

I think Neonivek first left this thread for good about 110 pages ago.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: June 18, 2014, 02:51:38 pm »

I think bringing that up again and again is going to make it harder for him to stay away.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #2893 on: June 18, 2014, 02:53:13 pm »

And the harder it is for him to stay away, the funnier it gets to talk about it. Everyone wins!

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #2894 on: June 18, 2014, 03:47:22 pm »

* Gatleos walks into the thread

Jesus what happened in here? Has anybody had a productive conversation in the last 10 or so pages, or have you all been misinterpreting each other's stances and talking past each other? Because it looks like the latter.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 277