Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 303204 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #2085 on: June 11, 2013, 01:21:28 am »

We know there is horrible gender imbalance and abused tropes.
Citation STRONGLY NEEDED. :')

Additionally: http://femfreq.tumblr.com/post/52673540142/twitter-vs-female-protagonists-in-video-games
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: June 11, 2013, 01:26:13 am »

What is that link meant to show? What relevance does it have?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: June 11, 2013, 01:30:08 am »

Absolutely none in regards to the last infinity of this discussion. It is only relevant to people who are following this thread for Anita. Which is possibly only me at this point, I'm not entirely sure anymore what you all are talking about. I stopped trying to have a serious discussion here as soon as you all drove away Vector.
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: June 11, 2013, 01:31:15 am »

Even relating to Anita, what is it meant to show? What are the implications you believe relevant?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: June 11, 2013, 01:33:14 am »

It was more of a news-like posting than anything.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: June 11, 2013, 01:47:05 am »

Allow me to answer your question with a question! What do you think the intended implications of the post were? Anita's post, I mean. Willfor's clarified already.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: June 11, 2013, 01:49:15 am »

I wasn't exactly sure. It doesn't seem to show anything interesting or unexpected, so I'm wondering why that specific post.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: June 11, 2013, 02:05:48 am »

If you've got nothing you can think of to say, why bother posting? Ordinarily I'm not going to pick on somebody for just asking questions, but I get the feeling you think it ought not to have been posted and are looking for some reasoning to dispute. Maybe I'm overreacting, but this thread is getting pretty toxic lately, and I figured I'd best not dance around what's bothering me here.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: June 11, 2013, 02:12:37 am »

Because this thread has been pretty toxic lately and when somebody posts a link to something and I can't figure out why I kind of get the feeling I missed some point...

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: June 11, 2013, 03:01:30 am »

Additionally: http://femfreq.tumblr.com/post/52673540142/twitter-vs-female-protagonists-in-video-games
Why she's wrong:
Mirrors Edge 2 - Female Protagonist, will be released "when it's ready"
Dragon Age: Inquisition - Character of unspecified gender, hopefully able to choose

Her point:
Dark Souls 2 - male protagonist
Battlefront 3 - generic soldiers (Rebel Sniper is normally female), probably has female heroes like Battlefront 2
Battlefield 4 - generic soldiers
Dead Rising 3 - male protagonist
Halo 5 - Male PC (I would like to jokingly point out that Cortana is an object)
Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain - Male protagonist (barring an MGS2-style switcheroo)
Ryse: Son of Rome - Male PC (female PC wouldn't make sense unless you played from the Celtic perspective)
Titanfall - Generic Soldiers in bodysuits
1886 - male protagonist
Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - male protagonist
Sunset Overdrive - male protagonist
Crimson Dragon - ?
Project Spark - I can't tell from the one screenshot I was able to load

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: June 11, 2013, 03:24:32 am »

Eh, I don't like to include [Select Gender] games as games with a female protagonist. It feels like a bit of a cop out when you look at all the games with exclusively male protagonists. Were it not for Mirrors Edge 2 I would say she made a fair point.
Although female protagonists are still under represented, saying that there were no games with female protagonists is dishonest.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: June 11, 2013, 07:25:01 am »

Eh, I don't like to include [Select Gender] games as games with a female protagonist. It feels like a bit of a cop out when you look at all the games with exclusively male protagonists. Were it not for Mirrors Edge 2 I would say she made a fair point.
Although female protagonists are still under represented, saying that there were no games with female protagonists is dishonest.

Or she didn't see it yet because two hours after that tweet she sent:

And the first #E3 announcement trailer to focus on a female character is... @Bioware's Dragon Age: Inquisition http://bit.ly/106DEzS

and

I am absolutely thrilled about the Mirror's Edge 2 announcement! The original game is one of my all time favorites! http://bit.ly/sorDw

Hasty? Apparently. Dishonest? ... Maybe you use that word too hastily.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: June 11, 2013, 08:00:47 am »

Not to mention the tweet specifically referred to the Xbox One press conference which only showed these games.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: June 11, 2013, 10:11:52 am »

I really don't think giving trolls and dumb people attention by publishing their tweets and essentially calling for action against them is a good way to handle them.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: June 11, 2013, 11:49:25 am »

I really don't think giving trolls and dumb people attention by publishing their tweets and essentially calling for action against them is a good way to handle them.
It's making people aware of the kind of shit women in the public eye have to deal with when they stick their necks out. Ignoring it doesn't make it go away, but pointing it out helps others recognise the problem and call it out. It's easy to shrug off someone insulting a woman when it looks like an isolated incident. When you recognise it as part of the background radiation of misogyny they have to constantly deal with it's a lot more likely you will recognise it as an actual problem and maybe call them out on it.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 277