Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 303994 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #1155 on: April 13, 2013, 08:05:51 pm »

Because in order to deconstruct, you've got to have a context for the deconstruction.

As I said the best deconstruction I would love to see for the Zelda series is where Zelda is the hero but it takes place entirely in her perspective.

So while Link goes off on his adventure and in the players eyes doing very little... you are Princess Zelda and organizing and plotting everything in order to defeat Ganondorf/Ganon and Link gets all the credit anyhow (but you don't care you are a hero and heros don't need credit).

And the game has endings with scores by how many people you saved with the implication that Zelda always saves as many people as possible. While she does manipulate Link into being the hero, only she keeps her kingdom from dying off every game.

Well, honestly, I'd quite love to play that, too.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: April 13, 2013, 08:06:37 pm »

I've always just gone with the definition that wisdom is the opposite of Kefka and it has never gone wrong...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: April 14, 2013, 11:01:11 am »

"I often hear the counterargument that 'Oh, well, men are objectified just as much as women because they are muscular and wear tights.' But that idea ignores that A) these characters aren't contorting to constantly show off their elaborately rendered sexy parts (as the ‘Avengers booty’ piece demonstrates) and B) they are meant to appeal to a male power fantasy, not necessarily to arouse women."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/11/avengers-movie-poster-sexist_n_1507914.html

Reminded me of the discussion about MGS.  Butts!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: April 14, 2013, 11:22:21 am »

This is quite a good website that demonstrates the silly poses that women usually take in superhero comics

I know superhero comics are an easy target and literally everybody knows they're sexist as hell, but I can't stop laughing

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0465624/

An everyman gets stalked by a "crazy ex" with a superhuman body.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: April 14, 2013, 11:24:58 am »

This is quite a good website that demonstrates the silly poses that women usually take in superhero comics
I know superhero comics are an easy target and literally everybody knows they're sexist as hell, but I can't stop laughing
I don't really get it. Some blogger takes pictures of odd poses from superhero comics and then draws them again but worse?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: April 14, 2013, 11:26:38 am »

Surprising (hopefully) no one except DJ, a movie written by men about the stereotype of a crazy ex-girlfriend (only having superpowers) is completely misogynistic tripe.

--

Fantasy author poses like women are portrayed on the covers of books.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: April 14, 2013, 11:28:51 am »

I don't really get it. Some blogger takes pictures of odd poses from superhero comics and then draws them again but worse?

It's drawing male superhero's in the same positions that female ones take
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: April 14, 2013, 11:31:27 am »

Yeah, I guess there's nothing wrong with how no doesn't mean no when it's the guy saying it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_ETK8AH3c8

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: April 14, 2013, 11:33:38 am »

Metal Gear Zelda, Peacewalker Edition...

Convince Link to go where you want him to go, most of the time he does whatever and dawdles around if you don't nag him.  (Not game-over critical, you can just not nag him, but it will make saving your kingdom harder, plus different chain of story events!)
Go on missions yourself for maximum life-saving or whatever. (Go in yourself or bring your army along for an all out military assault!)
Delegate tasks/missions to your own troops/people, cause the puppeteer can only be in so many places and pull so many strings at a time. (Time and resource management, as its leader and seer, you can foresee the possible outcomes, knowing beforehand if it will go well or badly... and it is your decision to decide if a sacrifice is needed.  There is loyalty and morale to take into account too, your minions cannot see or know what you do and may not be as understanding.  It is all for the greater good is it not?)

Considering it, for gameplay reasons, you can nerf Zelda's foresight with whatever in-universe reason, yes? Even progressively unlock it...  It would work in a Zelda = badguy edition... and definitely plausible in a Zelda is the main character edition.

For Glyph:
'Honey I'm Home'

Huh, these are pretty good..[url]  Not into comic books, so don't recognize half of em.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: April 14, 2013, 11:42:45 am »

Yeah, I guess there's nothing wrong with how no doesn't mean no when it's the guy saying it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_ETK8AH3c8
Repeating myself in case you didn't see it yourself, but it's not actually a woman saying anything there at all.

The movie was written by Don Payne. Just because the movie can hate men at times too doesn't mean it doesn't also hate women. This is no one's power fantasy, this is the portrayal of a situation where there is absolutely no one truly in the right at any time.
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: April 14, 2013, 11:44:49 am »

Yeah, it's a movie about a terrible situation. Problem is, it's a comedy. If it was gender-swapped, it'd be a horror. It's not about what the movie is saying, it's about how the society finds this perfectly normal.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: April 14, 2013, 11:51:27 am »

Wait.

Are you NOT trotting this out as an example of a woman's power fantasy? ???

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: April 14, 2013, 11:53:27 am »

Nope. It's supposed to be an example of how the society considers abuse of men funny.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 277