Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 303945 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #1140 on: April 13, 2013, 07:26:29 pm »

Hell, I'd like to see Zelda be the villain sometime.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: April 13, 2013, 07:29:35 pm »

Ganondorf : Hey listen  !

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: April 13, 2013, 07:32:18 pm »

Now that probably would be too crazy... but I'd like to see it anyway.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: April 13, 2013, 07:33:26 pm »

I'd like to see virtually any change in the formula.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: April 13, 2013, 07:36:06 pm »

Yes, clearly any change in any formula is always for the better and we should innovate for the sake of innovation, rather than for an actual point. All characters go in all roles and fuck any pre existing characterization.

Now I remember why I avoid fan fic like the plague.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #1145 on: April 13, 2013, 07:39:24 pm »

You say that sarcastically, but "innovate for the sake of innovation" is... a pretty damn good motivation.

Never know if something will be really good or not until you try it, even if you think it won't be before you try (or even if you think it will be! You ever have something you thought "Oh that'll be awesome!" and then it sucks once it's made? Yeah, same principle. You just don't see the opposite that much because who's going to make something they don't think will be awesome?)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: April 13, 2013, 07:41:15 pm »

Actually, you know what?

I'd also like to see a retelling of one of the games where Ganondorf and Zelda are working together, and Link is the deluded "hero" stalking Zelda or whatever.  Like, the story that Braid told.

I think the fact that it's almost unimaginable is what makes it so enticing to me.  A lot of artistic narrative is convincing people of something that, before they engaged with the art in question, would have seemed utterly unbelievable.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: April 13, 2013, 07:46:37 pm »

I only really played 1,2, and Ocarina of Time, but it seems weird that the champion of power is always the villain.  Zelda would be a very dangerous evil overlord, and Ganon a powerful but directionless ronin.  Link would be the plucky, fearless sidekick who guides the hero of power on his quest to stop running from himself, and to use his powers for good.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: April 13, 2013, 07:47:11 pm »

Hell, I'd like to see Zelda be the villain sometime.

Out of everyone who could be a villain, Zelda seems least capable under her own will...

By being the holder of the Triforce of Wisdom she is beholden to it. While she try to escape it, it is a big part of her.

I mean yes, inverting her Wisdom so it can work towards evil would be extremely dangerous... Yet it seems to go against what Wisdom would be.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: April 13, 2013, 07:49:09 pm »

You can be evil and wise. Wisdom is about knowing how and when to act to achieve a goal, but the goal doesn't have to be good or evil.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: April 13, 2013, 07:49:17 pm »

Eh, this is all some what subjective. I guess should the game be allowed to exist? Sure, but would I enjoy my interpretation of certain characters being pushed out for a 'canon' appearance? No, not really, and it would make future games less appealing for me. Once again, all these 'What if X was the bad guy and Y was the good guy' situations sound too much like the fan fic I have never enjoyed for me to actually look forward to.

On the other hand, the deluded hero makes for good story telling that pushes morality a little. After all, what can you ask of a man, if not to do what he truly believes is right? I wouldn't object to the story at all. Why not give it its own game?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: April 13, 2013, 07:51:05 pm »

You can be evil and wise. Wisdom is about knowing how and when to act to achieve a goal, but the goal doesn't have to be good or evil.

In this case I am interpreting it a bit more classically. You cannot be evil and wise because wisdom and hood are directly linked. It is about always knowing what is the right thing to do.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: April 13, 2013, 08:00:56 pm »

Because in order to deconstruct, you've got to have a context for the deconstruction.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: April 13, 2013, 08:04:01 pm »

Because in order to deconstruct, you've got to have a context for the deconstruction.

As I said the best deconstruction I would love to see for the Zelda series is where Zelda is the hero but it takes place entirely in her perspective.

So while Link goes off on his adventure and in the players eyes doing very little... you are Princess Zelda and organizing and plotting everything in order to defeat Ganondorf/Ganon and Link gets all the credit anyhow (but you don't care you are a hero and heros don't need credit).

And the game has endings with scores by how many people you saved with the implication that Zelda always saves as many people as possible. While she does manipulate Link into being the hero, only she keeps her kingdom from dying off every game.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: April 13, 2013, 08:04:43 pm »

In this case I am interpreting it a bit more classically. You cannot be evil and wise because wisdom and hood are directly linked. It is about always knowing what is the right thing to do.

I take it you don't play much Liberal Crime Squad (;
I've always seen wisdom as real world experience.  Wikipedia calls it understanding, and the "study and application of knowledge".  Mental clarity, maybe.  Everything an overlord needs to scheme and con their way to power, and to keep the web of deceit intact.

As I said the best deconstruction I would love to see for the Zelda series is where Zelda is the hero but it takes place entirely in her perspective.

So while Link goes off on his adventure and in the players eyes doing very little... you are Princess Zelda and organizing and plotting everything in order to defeat Ganondorf/Ganon and Link gets all the credit anyhow (but you don't care you are a hero and heros don't need credit).

And the game has endings with scores by how many people you saved with the implication that Zelda always saves as many people as possible. While she does manipulate Link into being the hero, only she keeps her kingdom from dying off every game.

That sounds fun, in theory.  Innovative!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 277