Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 304353 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #930 on: April 11, 2013, 05:02:48 am »

I can do better then that... I can quote:

“Hey, that’s not fair. I have this paper cut, and no one is driving me to the hospital. If we take him to the hospital, all we will be left with is this acceptable paper cut. It doesn’t hurt as much, sure, but it still an injury. I saw this other guy get a paper cut, and that made me feel sorry for him. A lot of people are treating gunshot wounds but they’re overlooking all the paper cuts.  And that’s terrible.”

Just to give this context... This is supposed to be the mocking metaphor of discussing sexism towards males and basically says: Don't do anything about it because men are perfectly unaffected by it.

Basically sexism towards men is just a "Paper cut" and that they should suck it up.

You can probably understand why I actually had to edit my last statement to remove the choice words I had on this position (well ok, it was because I was openly mocking the person)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 05:07:53 am by Neonivek »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: April 11, 2013, 05:09:38 am »

It's not like men are regularly slighted in courts of law due to their gender.

Anyway, I think complain in about games like this is equivalent to me picking up embroidery and then complaining how virtually all the patterns are flowers, landscapes and children when I want dragons, medieval battles and heavy metal umlauts. Which do you think would be more productive, complaining to the pattern makers until they start making things they know nothing about, or rolling up my sleeves and making the awesome patterns myself?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: April 11, 2013, 05:12:09 am »

What if pattern makers wanted to design dragons and such, but their boss said they couldn't because 'Men don't like embroidery! You can't have patterns that appeal to guys!'
Would that be fine?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: April 11, 2013, 05:13:23 am »

It's not like men are regularly slighted in courts of law due to their gender

Why yes... Yes they are... They are very unfairly slighted in courts because of their gender ALL the time. It just doesn't always take the form you would expect (as some are holdovers from worse time periods for women) and some of the laws are catching up to modern society.

It certainly doesn't happen in ALL legal procedures and all laws, but it isn't a "Paper cut" to any of the men who actually gets snagged.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 05:20:12 am by Neonivek »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: April 11, 2013, 05:18:53 am »

We really need sarcasm tags on this forum.

And if the pattern makers thought they could sell patterns to men, they could quit the job and start their own company for making dragon patterns. With games it's even easier, thanks to distribution channels like Steam.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: April 11, 2013, 05:24:15 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:05:46 pm by Ogdibus »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #937 on: April 11, 2013, 05:26:14 am »

We've been over this already.

but you missed the point and for some reason believe that stereotyping of men is fine and good whilst women arent allowed to be stereotyped at all.

double standards.

I started to summarize the discussion we already had, but I realized you'd probably just strawman that too so I decided not to waste any effort on it.

Anyway, I think complain in about games like this is equivalent to me picking up embroidery and then complaining how virtually all the patterns are flowers, landscapes and children when I want dragons, medieval battles and heavy metal umlauts. Which do you think would be more productive, complaining to the pattern makers until they start making things they know nothing about, or rolling up my sleeves and making the awesome patterns myself?

If you were a fabric designer rather than someone who makes popular videos on problems with textiles and other crafting materials, yeah, I'd say that'd be a better thing to do.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: April 11, 2013, 05:27:46 am »

Where does sexism toward men come from?  To clarify, I'm not asking for examples of sexism toward men.  I'm asking for the cause to be identified.
Mostly the idea that mens role is to work to support the family... Thus the pathetically low rate that men have any sort of custody of children in a divorce, in favor of paying child support. Our role is to provide and protect.
When the ship goes down, it is women and children first or you are a coward.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: April 11, 2013, 05:29:07 am »

We really need sarcasm tags on this forum.

YES! Dang it DJ :P

Given the responses to the original topic (which admitting I mentioned in the other previous page that some people believed sexism to men was intangible) what made you think I wouldn't take your statement seriously? There are people who chatted in this topic who do honestly believe there are no laws that affect men unfairly.

I guess you don't actually have any idea how this works, do you?

I'm pretty sure that isn't even the first time I have had to link that article.

The issue is that people can believe in exceptions.

Mind you I think it says more about how the audience projects itself onto videogame companies. I mean while Tomb Raider did well (using a sexualized character), Beyond Good and Evil did a game with a female protagonist and tanked.

I want to know if they actually have REAL info or if they are pulling that out of their butts... because my impression is that they are less sexist and more that they have no faith in their consumers.

Where does sexism toward men come from?  To clarify, I'm not asking for examples of sexism toward men.  I'm asking for the cause to be identified.

Sexism happens. People generalize and thus we get generalizations of men and women which are taught to others who then assume that is true. A lot of it is to justify power relationships or assumptions to explain why certain trends came about.

Thus the pathetically low rate that men have any sort of custody of children in a divorce, in favor of paying child support.

Ohh goodness, Tip of the iceberg when it comes to Men and how their relationship towards children is perceived and affected through the legal system. Lets just say Welfare entrapment (not the official term) of non-fathers is a real thing.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 05:31:47 am by Neonivek »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: April 11, 2013, 05:31:19 am »

Trivia: This is entirely a myth.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: April 11, 2013, 05:32:43 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:05:55 pm by Ogdibus »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: April 11, 2013, 05:33:46 am »

Mostly the idea that mens role is to work to support the family... Thus the pathetically low rate that men have any sort of custody of children in a divorce, in favor of paying child support. Our role is to provide and protect.
Throughout history, who has had the power to impose this system on men?

Human beings.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: April 11, 2013, 05:34:23 am »

I would argue that it was the expectation of society itself rather than anyone in particular imposing it upon them.
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: April 11, 2013, 05:36:14 am »

Trivia: This is entirely a myth.
It is an expression. There is still the expectation that men sacrifice themselves for the collective, especially in popular media. You can't be a 'real man' without a messiah complex.

Throughout history, who has had the power to impose this system on men?
Well men mostly, but does it matter?
Discrimination is discrimination, regardless of the alignment of who is the cause. We kind of touched on this a lot earlier on.
Now don't get me wrong, there are still serious problems with how women are treated, and they need to be addressed, but we can't just say 'Sucks for everybody, get over it!', as that sort of attitude is hardly productive.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 277