Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 304388 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #750 on: April 06, 2013, 12:43:40 am »

Exactly.

Women are too biased to understand this sort of situation, you know.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: April 06, 2013, 12:45:36 am »

Exactly.

No, it is just that... Sexism knows know barriers.

Whenever someone says "Men" in this topic you can almost hear the "Dun dun dun"

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: April 06, 2013, 12:47:36 am »

Exactly.

Well, Anita Sarkeesian can't handle the issue in a meaningful way, and she calls herself a feminist, therefor the entire feminist movement is flawed, right? Because that is totally a logical argument with no gaping flaws, right?

No, it is just that... Sexism knows know barriers.

Whenever someone says "Men" in this topic you can almost hear the "Dun dun dun"
I'm about 90% sure she was being sarcastic.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: April 06, 2013, 12:49:09 am »

It's that last 10% that gives life its flavor, doncha know.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: April 06, 2013, 12:53:01 am »

Eh, when you take a model based view of reality, every day that you wake up with gravity still intact is a good day.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: April 06, 2013, 01:07:24 am »

I blame that 10% on the internet and its foul sarcasm-absorbing folds.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: April 06, 2013, 01:15:21 am »

therefor the entire feminist movement is flawed, right?

Actually yes it was always flawed (it would be entirely unrecognizable in its original form) and likely always will be.

Though what does its flaws take away?

The important thing is moving forward.

Heck I've met people who absolutely hate feminism because of a over focus on women when a egalitarian approach would be preferred (one that seeks equality for both genders rather then equality for one) and have pretty good points on the matter.

Though honestly I have no idea what feminist theories even deal with gender inequalities resulting in more power being given to women in certain fields, I'd assume all touch upon it but it isn't an area of focus. I certainly seen some that just blanket women in soo much "men control you" that it almost becomes pointless in it of itself, in fact they are so focused on women being controlled by men that they almost become misogynist in that it makes women out to be entirely without force or substance.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 01:25:32 am by Neonivek »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: April 06, 2013, 01:27:47 am »

Well telling people they are being oppressed and they deserve more power is a lot easier and a lot more attractive than actually addressing the issues at hand. Still, there is a lot of people out there, both men and women, doing things right...
My preferred test is to ask if men are physically stronger than women. If they respond by telling me 'It's womyn you pig!' then I assume they are in need of medication.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 06, 2013, 01:29:22 am »

I do get the impression that you are overestimating the amount of female protagonists.

Am I? I just went through and checked all the games I have on my computer and/or have played in the week past. Out of seventeen games, only one of them has a male-only protagonist. And incidentally, one has a female-only protagonist.

Even that list of supposedly female-dominated games contained more males than females.

Make up your mind what you're unhappy about. If you're now suddenly requiring that games be "female dominated" I think you may be crossing into territory very different from what you originally intended. If a game has either a female protagonist or the option to play one, ...but you still find it "offensive" because it has more secondary male characters than secondary female characters...at some point I think you're just trying way too hard to find something to be angry about.

imagine your game collection is 10% as large, and you have to wait ten times as long before a new game you're actually eager for is released.  It's not that the game industry is small or lazy, just that 90% of the games out there feature gigantic throbbing penises or something.  For the sake of this example I'm going to assume that would be a distraction to you, and make it hard to get invested in the game.  A lot of people don't even *want* the penises, but they keep buying because they like video games.  You can either settle for the 10% of games that pander to you, or you can give in and fund more penis productions.  (You'll probably have better luck with indie games, which is great if you don't need the production values, support, and online communities that come with triple-A titles)

I understand the analogy, but my sample group doesn't support that kind of view. What is the content that you're claiming that 90% of games have that corresponds to gigantic throbbing penises? Are you talking about boobs?

Too many strong female characters are bizarrely large breasted and underclothed, and we know exactly why.  It's immersion breaking.  *I* don't want to play as some teenager's wank-fuel.  It's downright offensive to ME that the developers think I, as a guy, require every woman to look like this. 

...ok. maybe you're talking about boobs. Personally, I like boobs.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: April 06, 2013, 01:43:52 am »

Bucket, the problem isn't with any individual game. It's that the majority of games have a huge majority of male characters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: April 06, 2013, 01:46:09 am »

Well telling people they are being oppressed and they deserve more power is a lot easier and a lot more attractive than actually addressing the issues at hand. Still, there is a lot of people out there, both men and women, doing things right...
My preferred test is to ask if men are physically stronger than women. If they respond by telling me 'It's womyn you pig!' then I assume they are in need of medication.

In terms of men and women in terms of physical strength, Men tend to be stronger then women (believed to be the increased Testosterone).

As well in terms of Push-ups, men have the natural advantage there as well because of how Men's weight is balanced (though for sit ups, women have the natural advantage)

Not to mention that there are noticeable height differences between males and females in which I have no explanation. I certainly found one on a evolutionary standpoint, but it doesn't explain the why.

"Well telling people they are being oppressed and they deserve more power is a lot easier and a lot more attractive than actually addressing the issues at hand"

That is actually... a very interesting.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 01:49:46 am by Neonivek »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 06, 2013, 01:46:39 am »

Bucket, the problem isn't with any individual game. It's that the majority of games have a huge majority of male characters.
Unless you are talking about Tropes Vs. Women, that seems to have a problem with individual games and such lists off these games... And also implies that saxophone music is sleazy.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #762 on: April 06, 2013, 01:47:34 am »

Why is this a problem?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 06, 2013, 01:47:41 am »

And also implies that saxophone music is sleazy.

Wait, did you really not get that point?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 06, 2013, 01:48:40 am »

No, the music comment was a joke.
Sorry, my fault, I should have included the knowing wink.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 277