Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 304349 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #765 on: April 06, 2013, 01:49:21 am »

Bucket, the problem isn't with any individual game. It's that the majority of games have a huge majority of male characters.
Why is this a problem?

Because the huge majority of reality has a small majority of females?

Because many females in games aren't treated with as much respect as the males?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #766 on: April 06, 2013, 01:49:37 am »

I... I'm tired. That's what I'm going to blame that on.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: April 06, 2013, 01:51:24 am »

Yes.  I want games that are female-dominated.  Not all games, but I want there to be some.  I want shooting games that aren't cheesecake where all the players are female, and sports games like that, too.  I want to play as a female assassin with a female inventor friend and a female ruler of fake Venice, because if it's all a computer simulation then why the fuck not.  I want to play a female super-spy with a mostly female support team.  I want female characters who bind their breasts and female characters who don't.  I want female characters who wear impractically billowy cool-looking clothing and female characters who wear armor that isn't, y'know, a boobplate.

Fuck it, give me games where the men have jiggle physics and games where I play as a feminazi who won't use phallic weapons and therefore kills everyone with her lariat.  Give me a playboy in space who sleeps with all the attractive alien men on the various planets she visits, along with her emotionally constipated chief science officer and farmgirl chief of medicine and her bridge broncos and her whatever the hell else.

Because you know what?  I love these stories, but I'm at the point where I cannot imagine such a story genderflipped.  Of course all the women are showing their tits and the men aren't sexualized.  Of course most everyone's a dude.  Of course the random NPCs on the street are men.  Why would I ever expect anything else?  Haha, streets full of almost exclusively women?  Don't be ridiculous!

I like stealth games, action/adventure, and RPGs.  I like all sorts of silly crap.  I would love to vote with my wallet, but unfortunately I can't.

Most of the time, when I have an option to play as a female character in a really big-name RPG, I don't because I'm scared of the gender-based dialogue options.  It's easier to take the "gritty sexism" if I'm pretending I'm a guy, as if the endless tray of tits was made for me.

Well telling people they are being oppressed and they deserve more power is a lot easier and a lot more attractive than actually addressing the issues at hand. Still, there is a lot of people out there, both men and women, doing things right...
My preferred test is to ask if men are physically stronger than women. If they respond by telling me 'It's womyn you pig!' then I assume they are in need of medication.

In terms of men and women in terms of physical strength, Men tend to be stronger then women (believed to be the increased Testosterone).

As well in terms of Push-ups, men have the natural advantage there as well because of how Men's weight is balanced (though for sit ups, women have the natural advantage)

Not to mention that there are noticeable height differences between males and females in which I have no explanation. I certainly found one on a evolutionary standpoint, but it doesn't explain the why.

I like how you consistently capitalize Men and leave women lowercase.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: April 06, 2013, 01:55:02 am »

That is because Men is a proper noun. We are talking about Sir Men of Mannly, a guy that does like a bajillion sit ups a day. His abs have been known to blind small children.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 06, 2013, 02:01:20 am »

I like how you consistently capitalize Men and leave women lowercase

Well other then one needless capitalization, the rest was just improper grammar.

Don't forget that I also capitalized incorrectly "Push-ups" and "Testosterone".

While I never incorrectly lower cased "women".

Give me a playboy in space who sleeps with all the attractive alien men on the various planets she visits, along with her emotionally constipated chief science officer and farmgirl chief of medicine and her bridge broncos and her whatever the hell else.

Good luck... As I said that vast majority of oversexualisation of women are done to women who are unsexual.

That is where the problem lies: Forced sexualization.

It is the difference between Conan, who's lack of armor makes sense, and EVERY WOMAN IN WORLD OF WARCRAFT, who's armor looks like that for no reason and has no reason to be there.

Or rather... it is the difference between Bayonetta, a ultra sexual woman who looks like a sexy librarian and is also awesome, and Sophitia, a scion who fights for the protection of her children wearing see through clothing and with HUGE bouncing breasts that get bigger every game with plenty of panty shots.

Mind you I don't like characters who sleep around with everyone anyway (ear regardless of gender... As I've said before "I like Ironman, I hate Tony Stark") so I can't say that aspect bugs me.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 02:05:00 am by Neonivek »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: April 06, 2013, 02:06:05 am »

Ah, but would you prefer a world without characters that annoy you?
Wouldn't that be bland?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 06, 2013, 02:08:08 am »

... maybe? Sometimes annoying characters can actually make for a good story. You don't have to relate for the narrative to be interesting.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #772 on: April 06, 2013, 02:12:33 am »

Bucket, the problem isn't with any individual game. It's that the majority of games have a huge majority of male characters.
Why is this a problem?
There is a tiny amount of women in proportion to reality? What?

Because many females in games aren't treated with as much respect as the males?
You've linked the casting being nearly all male with disrespect towards females, leaving out the gap in between explaining why. It's not terribly helpful.

I like how you consistently capitalize Men and leave women lowercase.
Capital letters, the bane of Mankind.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: April 06, 2013, 02:17:39 am »

I actually tried to find games where a male mistreats a female character and isn't considered a "bad thing".

Rape and abuse is one thing, but can we get more general?

I mean the only example I can think of is Megaman Legends where Megaman outright spies on Roll naked (given the tone of the series... this felt creepily out of place)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: April 06, 2013, 02:20:11 am »

Well I can think of many examples of guys abusing women and it being glorified... Except in all of those it is because of a female antagonist, and I have no problem beating down giant spider ladies any more than male boss fights.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: April 06, 2013, 02:30:04 am »

Why is this a problem?
There is a tiny amount of women in proportion to reality? What?

There are more women than men in most places by a small margin, is what I meant.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 06, 2013, 02:39:21 am »

It is the difference between Conan, who's lack of armor makes sense, and EVERY WOMAN IN WORLD OF WARCRAFT, who's armor looks like that for no reason and has no reason to be there.

Have you ever actually played WoW?

Here are the season 9 female armor sets

This is the kind of thing that makes it difficult for me to take this argument very seriously. Some of things I see being said in this thread bear very little resemblance to reality. Try looking at the actual in-game armor you're complaining about rather than the promotional ads.

You'd be more justified complaining about Islamic hijab than you would complaining about it being over-sexualized.

That is where the problem lies: Forced sexualization.

Right. Here's some crazy, over-the-top forced-oversexualized boob plate for you:

I wonder if maybe some of you would benefit from spending more time playing games rather than complaining about how women are portrayed in them.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: April 06, 2013, 02:41:46 am »

You have come up with one counterexample to a statistical argument.

Why do you think this is appropriate?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: April 06, 2013, 02:44:26 am »

What? How is "every woman in world of warcraft" a statistical argument? That was the specific thing LordBucket was replying to. An extremely specific claim which has been clearly debunked.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 06, 2013, 02:45:15 am »

No Vector you are incorrect... Lord Bucket has come up with one example that PROVES my statement not countering of it.

Better yet her picture only proves my point further as they only added less sexualised armor after people complained over and over (to the extent where they had to ban people for even mentioning it).

They had to be forced to make appropriate armor and even then they still like the standard silly sexualisation.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 02:48:20 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 277