Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 303884 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #495 on: March 29, 2013, 02:18:34 am »

Ehh I prefer my test, it doesn't allow a game's total lack of story to alter the test.

Did this target a non-male character?

This targeted a LOT of male characters... the King of every land.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 29, 2013, 02:20:12 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:42:38 pm by Ogdibus »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #497 on: March 29, 2013, 02:21:34 am »

Yeah, I don't think dialogue works in games. Not only are there many games with too little, there are also games with too much.

A lot of RPGs and stuff have more character interaction than you'd see in any movie or book because the creators can put it in optional sidequests and stuff. Various RPGs qualify for this. If the only Bechdel-passing interaction is off in some optional scene 90% of players will never see, I'm not sure if it should count.

Games are just way more variable in this department than movies are. You can see this in movies - people debate whether particularly artsy films that have little to no dialogue pass - it's just more common in games because dialogue isn't quite as much of a constant.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 29, 2013, 02:24:52 am »

When depictions of agency always coincide with being a villain, it's indicative of a problem.

It is mostly due to the limited story structure in a videogame. If you arn't the Protagonist or the villain (and even then villains tended not to do anything either) you likely can't do anything.

people debate whether particularly artsy films that have little to no dialogue pass - it's just more common in games because dialogue isn't quite as much of a constant.

I think what is important is we understand that the Bechdel test is just a test that helps as an indicator but not something that can be used as the one size fits all. Certainly there are a lot of movies, shows, books, and games that outright fail the test but pass on the intent, while there are others that pass but fail the intent.

To me it was never made as a true test.

Heck there is another "gender equality" test where you see if you can gender swap all the characters and the dialog still works (With only names and minor things altered). Most videogames pass that easily. Mostly because gender tends not to be very important in videogames.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 02:30:44 am by Neonivek »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 29, 2013, 02:27:40 am »

Yeah, you're probably going to have to approach testing gender representation in games in a very different way than in other media.

Let's try something with Super Mario Bros. 3:

1) Did a female character affect the gameplay in a meaningful way?
(A: Peach was kidnapped to act as MacGuffin) (B: Peach offered Mario powerups via letters) (C: Wendy Koopa captured the Water Kingdom and acted as its boss)

2) Did the character do this of her own volition?
(A: Nope, Bowser did it to her) (B: Yes, she snuck the letters out despite capture) (C: Nope, she did this because Bowser told her to)

3) Did this target a non-male character?
(A/B: Nope, just Mario) (C: Nope, just Mario and the King of Water Land, who she turned into a Kappa)

Ehh I prefer my test, it doesn't allow a game's total lack of story to alter the test.

It's not perfect, but actually it even works in games with no story at all, being that it's based on gameplay effects. Mechanics that allow one character (or enemy) to affect another are the fundamental component which all games share, much the same way communication is a fundamental component for just about every story ever.

It basically measures a female character's importance to the game, and their ability to affect or change the game's outcome.

Of course, it doesn't work in games like Tetris, but Tetris is a game without any characters at all, so it's not really at odds here.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 02:30:27 am by Solifuge »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 29, 2013, 02:31:40 am »

Although sometimes games can have specific sexist elements that don't relate to plot or characters at all.
For example, I don't mind sexulisation, that is putting characters in some what revealing clothing. We have been doing this since ancient Greeks made nude sculptures of their idealized humans, both male and female.
But you have to be fair about it. When an armor set on a male is huge platemail, and the same set on a female is pretty much a metal bra, that is the wrong way to go about it. Why can't the female character wear realistic armor should she so choose? Why can't the guy run around half naked in an attempt to be visually pleasing to women?
You can have women in revealing outfits. That alone isn't sexist. It is when you decide that women must wear revealing outfits that it is sexist.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 29, 2013, 02:36:15 am »

Although sometimes games can have specific sexist elements that don't relate to plot or characters at all.
For example, I don't mind sexulisation, that is putting characters in some what revealing clothing. We have been doing this since ancient Greeks made nude sculptures of their idealized humans, both male and female.
But you have to be fair about it. When an armor set on a male is huge platemail, and the same set on a female is pretty much a metal bra, that is the wrong way to go about it. Why can't the female character wear realistic armor should she so choose? Why can't the guy run around half naked in an attempt to be visually pleasing to women?
You can have women in revealing outfits. That alone isn't sexist. It is when you decide that women must wear revealing outfits that it is sexist.

That fits under what I call "Using sexuality against a female character".

How many of the "Metal Bikini" women are women who could honestly be wearing Metal Bikinis? None of them.

They ALL should be competent enough to know to wear real armor.

It is why I try to seperate sexual characters (sexualised characters who are sexual) from sexualised characters (Sexualised characters who are not sexual).

Of course there are terrible sexual characters who are just as bad... the VAST majority of characters of sexualised characters in videogames are ones who shouldn't be.

How much fanservice is by a woman who wants to give fanservice versus a female who isn't about fanservice?

This difference helps form the idea of a sexual female character existing in an inoffensive form (since like men, women are also sexual creatures) while at the same time understanding why sexualisation of women in videogames is so terrible... because it is against their character/competency/sanity.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 02:42:24 am by Neonivek »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 29, 2013, 02:38:27 am »

Sexualize all the armor equally! (Surprisingly enough when I googled "sexy male armor" I got a large number of responses from Tera, one of the largest female armor offenders out there  :o)

Side Note: The use of the surprised smiley followed by a close paren looks like a smiley with a big nose. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 29, 2013, 02:42:04 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:42:54 pm by Ogdibus »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 29, 2013, 02:45:47 am »

Sexualize all the armor equally!

NO! DEAR GOODNESS NO!

As I said the biggest problem with the "Chainmail bikini" is that it is sexualisation AGAINST the character. Just adding it to males only gives us too much terrible armor.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 29, 2013, 02:46:38 am »

I think Bechdel test was designed to be made so hard to fail (just throw in two women who talk about the weather, for example) that when alot of ficiton fails, its pretty suggestive of some form of gender bias.

So a healthy distribution of passes/fails wouldnt be 50/50, but something like 90 pass 10 fail, due to how easy it should be to pass.

I understand what Neonivek means when justifying "sexyness", for example if a game had a strip-bar scene one would expect sexualised women in it. But it could still nonetheless suggest some form gender bias in the industry if most games have scenes in strip bars.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 29, 2013, 02:48:11 am »

Sexualize all the armor equally!

NO! DEAR GOODNESS NO!

As I said the biggest problem with the "Chainmail bikini" is that it is sexualisation AGAINST the character. Just adding it to males only gives us too much terrible armor.
Do you mean to imply that revealing clothing is immoral?
That there us a dress code that should be enforced on the characters?

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 29, 2013, 02:49:41 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:43:43 pm by Ogdibus »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 29, 2013, 02:53:25 am »

I like full suits because I am turned on by more clothing than less.

Deal with it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 29, 2013, 02:53:33 am »

Do you mean to imply that revealing clothing is immoral?
That there us a dress code that should be enforced on the characters?

No I am suggesting that when you sexualise a character "against" their character what you are creating is dissonance with the narrative in order to create fanservice.

Is there a reason that the guy is wearing a Chainmail Banana Hammock that shows off his endowment? Or do you just want to show off his package?

The idea of using sexuality against a character is the idea of sexualising something that shouldn't be sexualised because their characterisation doesn't support it. It is in otherwords forced sexualisation.

I understand what Neonivek means when justifying "sexyness", for example if a game had a strip-bar scene one would expect sexualised women in it. But it could still nonetheless suggest some form gender bias in the industry if most games have scenes in strip bars

Yes but remember I also said that the vast majority of "sexyness" isn't by strippers it is by nurses who are dressed like a stripper.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 02:57:24 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 277