Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 302650 times)

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 07:34:57 pm »

This is why the onus of progress must be put on those who are being stepped on. Because it seems an industry that continues to produce, market and consume visual media that is primarily dominated by men isn't going to be shaken with strong words on the Internet or in an e-mail. It's going to be shaken with money (or the lack thereof) and a shift of the internal demographics.
Except that those demographics have shifted. The money is flowing in new and worrying ways. The industry's response seems to be circling the wagons.

Most of the talk about sexism in games is from those who want to see the industry succeed. People who want to see games die (and I doubt there are really that many, or at least that many who seriously care) aren't going to care about what games are sexist or how or why. They are just going to dismiss the entire form. The people who actually put time and effort into the discussion are the ones who want to see games come out of this demographic change stronger and better.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 07:36:59 pm by palsch »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 07:35:59 pm »

2 pages in and this is already a shitfest. I'm ducking out.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 07:37:23 pm »

*sigh*

Well, might as well get into it. Anita's message is irrelevant here. And do you know why? It is because she's an e-scammer. She got almost 159,000 dollars and was asking for 6,000 dollars, both of which are entirely too much money for a video series on Youtube.

It's why she waited a year to even do this and why she has a vice grip on her video's comments and ratings. Y'all got trolled, very expensively.

Ooh, ooh, now say she fabricated all the harassment to draw attention to herself and get more money! I love that theory.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2013, 07:37:23 pm »

Joking aside, oh wow this thing. Uhh... I'll stay away from this.
I don't think he is actually leaving...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2013, 07:37:47 pm »

He keeps ducking in to say he's ducking out.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2013, 07:38:14 pm »

Except that those demographics have shifted. The money is flowing in new and worrying ways. The industry's response seems to be circling the wagons.

That, and declaring all the games women like to be "not real games."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2013, 07:38:48 pm »

I don't think he is actually leaving...
Unlike all the other times where I said I was leaving and then stuck around to the end, I'm actually going.
Bye!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2013, 07:39:15 pm »

*sigh*

Well, might as well get into it. Anita's message is irrelevant here. And do you know why? It is because she's an e-scammer. She got almost 159,000 dollars and was asking for 6,000 dollars, both of which are entirely too much money for a video series on Youtube.

It's why she waited a year to even do this and why she has a vice grip on her video's comments and ratings. Y'all got trolled, very expensively.

It is not really a scam as everyone who backed it knew it was just going to be a video series on youtube
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2013, 07:39:38 pm »

*sigh*

I'm with Descan. How the hell are you blaming her for getting too much money? How is it a scam when people decide they want to contribute to her kickstarter for the stated reasons?

You know who the real e-scammers are? The guys trying to create a 'Tropes versus Men' series to counter Anita's But we don't hear enraged folks going off on them because clearly Anita is the true evil here.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2013, 07:40:21 pm »

All right.  Do you know of any trans female main characters outside of dating games?  I don't. 
A statement like this always strike me as special pleading or moving the goal post?

Do you that thing in X? Well, its invalid unless its everywhere!

Gender of most video games do not matter. Well, gender and sexual orientation for most fictional character dont matter, unless said media is about those two things.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2013, 07:40:50 pm »

Unlike all the other times where I said I was leaving and then stuck around to the end, I'm actually going.
Bye!
I'm pretty sure he isn't leaving.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2013, 07:41:24 pm »

That, and declaring all the games women like to be "not real games."

At least it seems we're finally getting out of the "women like My Little Pony GBA Deluxe Edition" ghetto.

Good statistics though, I concede my point about the money thing, but I haven't seen anything about the number of female game developers/writers/designers increasing.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2013, 07:42:53 pm »

All right.  Do you know of any trans female main characters outside of dating games?  I don't. 
A statement like this always strike me as special pleading or moving the goal post?

Do you that thing in X? Well, its invalid unless its everywhere!

Gender of most video games do not matter. Well, gender and sexual orientation for most fictional character dont matter, unless said media is about those two things.

No, sorry.  I'm trying to ask about trans characters who do not exist solely as fetish objects.  I should have been more specific, because when I thought about it I didn't agree with my own statement.

If gender for video games doesn't matter, then why is that that games with female leads get 40% the market budget of games with male leads?  It sure seems to matter to someone!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2013, 07:44:15 pm »

Wait, wait, wait... What?

How does SHE have anything to do with what people donated to her? Like, at all?!

You said yourself she only asked for 6k. SHE asked for 6K. She DIDN'T ask for 159k. OTHER PEOPLE gave her the extra 153k, and you're blaming HER for it?!

What the hell, man.

Even if 6k is "way too much for a video series", which I don't agree with at all, she has nothing to do with the actual donations that come in.

And why she has a "vice grip" on comments? Is because nearly every single fucking comment would be filled with vile and terrible words. Any decent conversation would be lost. In fact, in the very descriptions of her videos, she says "We disabled the comments because people suck. If you want to discuss this, feel free to host it on your blog or other forum and discuss it there!" Like, hey, what we're doing right now!

I thought you were better than this, MSH. This is just mud slinging.
Don't be naive, Descan. The cost for a video series in the modern day is not all that high. The largest cost would be the hardware, and that assumes she needs a whole new computer and video setup for this.

As for the comments, I say bullshit. You expect me to believe this was popular enough to get this much money in donations but to have enough people posting badly on the comments that she either shuts them down or approves every single one?

She asked for too much, she got too much, and everyone just goes along with having their money taken. This is a very good scam, but a scam nonetheless.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2013, 07:50:03 pm »

Good statistics though, I concede my point about the money thing, but I haven't seen anything about the number of female game developers/writers/designers increasing.
Largely because they haven't been. Which is kinda the problem.

IIRC, only 4% of staff in the gaming industry in the UK are female. That number has actually dropped in the past few years. Women aren't just underrepresented, they are actively being deterred from entering or staying in the industry. The #1reasonwhy hastag was a thing last year.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 277