Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 302618 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2013, 09:22:30 pm »

All sorts of shit

I'm sorry, but no. If you deliver what was promised, it's not a scam. It's that simple.

Where was the fraud here? There deceit?

The most you've accused her of, ironically, is having a good handle on PR. (You're simultaneously saying she should avoid feeding the trolls, but that... feeding the trolls is an effective business tactic?)

She is delivering what she promised to deliver. It's that simple. Not a scammer.

Also, Max, have you watched the videos she's done, yet? They are actually alright, and they DO talk about contrasting situations (where appropriate). Overall, adding in more time about "exceptions" isn't really relevant to the trope at hand in most circumstances, though.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2013, 09:37:29 pm »

Well I've watched the 'Damsel in distress' one, is there currently any more after that?
Basically she found the most extreme example of a game refitting changing the female protagonist out for a male, said 'This is why the damsel in distress trope is bad!' and then continued to list on examples of this trope.
Except it is a story telling element and isn't intrinsically sexist. Yes, when used as a crutch in the games industry has been for too long it is, but that doesn't mean every example of it is going to be sexist. You can take the most extreme example you can find and use it to generalize a plot element.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2013, 09:43:01 pm »

I'm sorry, but no. If you deliver what was promised, it's not a scam. It's that simple.

The fraud is in the money not being used for the project, that will never be used for the project, that is now hers to use however she wants.

As in most of the money. Probably 9/10ths of it.
The most you've accused her of, ironically, is having a good handle on PR. (You're simultaneously saying she should avoid feeding the trolls, but that... feeding the trolls is an effective business tactic?)
There are plenty of effective business tactics that are immoral. Using trolls to make yourself more popular or oppressed-looking is one of them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2013, 09:50:10 pm »

The fraud is in the money not being used for the project, that will never be used for the project, that is now hers to use however she wants.

How. Is. That. Her. Fault.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2013, 09:52:27 pm »

Oh god, are you seriously one of those people? That isn't how kickstarter works. It doesn't need to be spent on the project. She never stated she'd spend every last dime on the project, and she doesn't need to. She made no promise that she would, and it's CERTAINLY not implied by the kickstarter model. There's is nothing scammy about that in the slightest.

It's called a profit. If you have a good enough idea, and you get enough support for it, then you turn a profit. For a kickstarter, there's an obligation to deliver, while in normal business there is a delivery first, but that's the only exception. Now, some projects may expect to make a bunch of money after the project from future sales, and they'll often promise to dedicate every single donation towards making the project better - that's fine! This wasn't one of those projects.

If someone makes a video, and gets a fuckton of youtube views unexpectedly, making a ton of money off of it, are they then obligated to somehow invest that money back into youtube? Fuck no. That would be hilariously stupid.

The only promise implied by a kickstarter is that you will deliver what you said you will deliver. That's it. The existence of entitled, spoiled brats who stupidly throw their money away as some sort of attempted guilt trip to make someone else do what they want because I PUT MONEY IN NOW I OWN YOU does NOT influence whether or not something is a scam, or whether the person has any obligation to do what you want. They put out their terms, the backers gave their money under those terms, they don't get to magically dictate additional terms after-the-fact.

Now THAT would be a scam, and morally reprehensible one at that.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:55:01 pm by GlyphGryph »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2013, 09:54:34 pm »

She accepted the money in full, knowing there was no way to spend it all on a video series. She could have accepted an appropriate fraction, or donated the excess to some worthy cause (and with her given reasons for the series, I'm sure one could be found). Or put it towards another, more ambitious project of her own in the same vein as this one.

Anything but taking it and doing nothing for a year, followed by nobody ever hearing about that part of the money ever again because it is hers now.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2013, 09:56:52 pm »

Or put it towards another, more ambitious project of her own in the same vein as this one.
How do you know she won't?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2013, 09:59:16 pm »

How do you know she won't?
Because it has been well over a year. Because she's said nothing to indicate that at all. Because this is a scam and may have always been a scam, and everyone is either too blinded by her handle on the situation or too embarrassed to admit that.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2013, 10:00:15 pm »

I think we have different definitions of scam, which is fine, but I'm honestly curious (in case I'm ever in this sort of situation)--what do you think the right thing would have been for her to do?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2013, 10:04:21 pm »

She accepted the money in full, knowing there was no way to spend it all on a video series. She could have accepted an appropriate fraction, or donated the excess to some worthy cause (and with her given reasons for the series, I'm sure one could be found). Or put it towards another, more ambitious project of her own in the same vein as this one.

She is under no obligation whatsoever to. She could if she wanted to, but doesnt have to at all and it is not a requirement to fulfill the promises she has made, the promises that people have given her the money for.

You are trying to manufacture fraud out of something that just isnt.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2013, 10:07:24 pm »

I think we have different definitions of scam, which is fine, but I'm honestly curious (in case I'm ever in this sort of situation)--what do you think the right thing would have been for her to do?

Actually I think we have already been over that...
She could have accepted an appropriate fraction, or donated the excess to some worthy cause (and with her given reasons for the series, I'm sure one could be found). Or put it towards another, more ambitious project of her own in the same vein as this one.

Anything but taking it and doing nothing for a year, followed by nobody ever hearing about that part of the money ever again because it is hers now.

Myself? I don't care about the money of people who saw the 6,000 goal, and knew that she was already over that. I care about the content of these videos.

She is under no obligation whatsoever to. She could if she wanted to, but doesnt have to at all and it is not a requirement to fulfill the promises she has made, the promises that people have given her the money for.

You are trying to manufacture fraud out of something that just isnt.
Well... Lets be honest here, if you are trying to claim moral high ground, you don't pocket that amount of money, even if you can.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2013, 10:07:46 pm »

She could have accepted an appropriate fraction, or donated the excess to some worthy cause (and with her given reasons for the series, I'm sure one could be found). Or put it towards another, more ambitious project of her own in the same vein as this one.

Or Stretch Goals. Personally, I'm of the opinion that if you start a Kickstarter, and you get a giant boatload of money compared to your goal, you have a moral obligation and should have a legal obligation to invest that in Stretch Goals or do something like listed above, to prevent scenarios like this one from happening.
No Gods, No Masters.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2013, 10:08:23 pm »

http://xkcd.com/871/

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2013, 10:09:25 pm »

This isn't an act of charity, it's crowdfunding.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2013, 10:09:39 pm »

I don't know about you, but to me, scam doesn't mean "Turn an (unexpected/expected) profit", nor does it mean "capitalize on publicity from trolls", or "ask for a small amount (I don't exactly know where Anita lives, but 6k doesn't sound like much of an income to work on something full time) and recieve 2650 percent greater support".

It could mean "deceit on what final product is". Doesn't fit here, she said she'd put out a video series on tropes and women and she's doing that.

It could mean "Did not deliver final product at all". Again, she's doing that.

It could mean "product not of quality promised". That's a more personal opinion, but I think they're relatively well put together so far.

And, I'll even give you "backers feel they've been decieved". You are the only person I've seen who feels this was scammy. I don't think you backed it, either. I've not seen anyone else, backer or otherwise (though obviously since they're the ones who put the money toward it, the backers opinion matters more) feel like they've been deceived.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 277