Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 304075 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #3510 on: August 31, 2014, 01:27:56 pm »

Well non-profit doesn't exempt you anyway to my knowledge.

It is more of a "Well if we aren't even making profits then the creator gets a percent of 0 profits" thing.

Mind you I am sure Anita pays herself and gets quite the benefits package from it... But I always assumed she did, it tends to be one of the reasons you ask for so much money for a series like this is because you are paying for your own time and effort.

Since she doesn't have to pay many of her other expenses because Feminist Frequency was already established and she already has all her assets (so it isn't like she needed new equipment), as well because she is reviewing games she falls under fair use laws. So yeah I think it is mostly her paying herself, which I think is a perfectly valid way to use the kickstarter money.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 01:31:09 pm by Neonivek »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: August 31, 2014, 01:31:50 pm »

Their defense is that the video series is non-profit I believe.
(if she steals art like that, chances are the games she needed for research came from the Pirate Bay)

Yes, all of her research was done on the Pirate Bay.

::)

Please use actual facts (they are out there to find) instead of wildly speculating at things she may have done wrong. Attack her videos, and not her as a person.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: August 31, 2014, 01:35:03 pm »

The stuff she uses in her videos would probably be fine since they're clearly intended for educational/criticism purposes, generally do not include large sections of the videos and probably would not cause any real damage to the people who made them.  That said I think it amounts to plagiarism since she doesn't acknowledge any of the people who recorded the videos, which means she's effectively claiming she made them herself.

I'm not so sure about the case of the piece of artwork used in her Kickstarter though, that was explicitly intended to help her raise money and she took basically the whole thing.  There could be a reasonable copyright case made over that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: August 31, 2014, 01:38:50 pm »

Really the legal issues aren't a big deal because no one she took from were really that hurt and almost all of them (or all I don't know) would have lent them to her and she could have just given credit at the end of the video or in the video descriptions.

But she basically took them without asking and gave them no credit.

Really to me it isn't about legality at all anyhow. No one is going to sue.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: August 31, 2014, 01:42:32 pm »

It's relevant, because hell, whatever ammunition one might conjure up against Sarkeesian... it damned well will be conjured up. Also, she might have done something bad, so that's a good question too! In reference to a certain Thunderf00t getting upset over Sarkeesian publishing death threats against her, speculating that she might have just invented them...
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: August 31, 2014, 01:45:32 pm »

http://cowkitty.net/

I found a recent update on the cover-art thing. The creator says Anita removed the artwork completely, but she's still a bit miffed: she had said to Anita: "I'm happy for you to keep using the artwork as long as you can provide proof that you are actually a non-profit". They changed the artwork rather than fax the documents, I'm not sure that to think of that.

BTW from that, I found another girl with a gripe about stolen artwork:
http://www.destructoid.com/another-artist-speaks-about-having-their-work-used-by-feminist-frequency-271996.phtml?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 01:49:28 pm by Reelya »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: August 31, 2014, 01:48:00 pm »

So if I declare myself a non-profit plumber I can avoid paying taxes? I mean, it's not like I have to take on every "volunteering" opportunity, so I can just prioritize people who donate to the "charity" to keep it's running expenses (aka my wages) going.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: August 31, 2014, 01:57:18 pm »

No what it means is that she is saying she is non-profit but not registered... likely because that would have taken quite some effort to get it registered and it would prevent her from selling T-shirts, Mugs, and stuff later if she decided to start commercializing Feminist Frequency which is likely something she doesn't want to do.

Also if she already is commercializing, I don't know I don't frequent her...

Either that or she thought that scanning her paperwork was just too much hassle.

And frankly both could be true. Though to my knowledge there is no paperwork to prove you are a non-profit organization. You just need the reference number and you can look it up, am I mistaken?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 02:06:55 pm by Neonivek »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #3518 on: August 31, 2014, 02:01:46 pm »

So if I declare myself a non-profit plumber I can avoid paying taxes? I mean, it's not like I have to take on every "volunteering" opportunity, so I can just prioritize people who donate to the "charity" to keep it's running expenses (aka my wages) going.

Said as only someone who doesn't know the actual definition of a nonprofit could.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #3519 on: August 31, 2014, 02:08:35 pm »

Said as only someone who doesn't know the actual definition of a nonprofit could.

True if you want to get rich off of being a non-profit organization... You do it other ways... Usually by skimming and amassing perks on the side.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: August 31, 2014, 02:10:11 pm »

It's relevant, because hell, whatever ammunition one might conjure up against Sarkeesian... it damned well will be conjured up. Also, she might have done something bad, so that's a good question too! In reference to a certain Thunderf00t getting upset over Sarkeesian publishing death threats against her, speculating that she might have just invented them...
I don't understand what you're saying, is this supposed to be related to the copyright infringement/plagiarism thing?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: August 31, 2014, 02:24:46 pm »

lijacote is basically saying that people are out to get Anita so they will say anything, make up anything, or insinuate anything just to use as ammunition against her.

Basically saying this whole Copyright thing is just another shot at Anita by stupid people.

Well if I am correct that is.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 02:27:31 pm by Neonivek »

Chinizz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: August 31, 2014, 02:27:57 pm »

I've been away from the internet for a long time, and I found this shitstorm happening. Did Anita said anything relevant in her video?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: August 31, 2014, 02:29:12 pm »

I've been away from the internet for a long time, and I found this shitstorm happening. Did Anita said anything relevant in her video?

I am still waiting for Part 2 of Part 2 to be finished...

As well we are trying to find an instance where Anita has ever listed a game as "doing it right" but all we got were games that were being praised for having a different narrative structure.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: August 31, 2014, 02:39:55 pm »

I just read an article, which made the connection that since Anita is more coherent than her critics, she's "winning" the war on gaming culture. It sounds like a hollow victory, really.

Maybe winning the debate with the 15 year olds on youtube maybe, but I have a suspicion MOST people who aren't big on the gaming social networks - most people who are actually shelling out money to buy console games wouldn't have a clue who Anita is, aren't paying attention and are not in the least interested in this debate. The same games will get made whichever way this debate goes.

I think subcultures overestimate how relevant the debates within their communities really are.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 02:41:44 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 277